Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some vehicles for some manufactures qualify for a $3,500 credit because of sourcing requirements. That doesn't apply to Tesla right now but it did apply earlier this year for a very brief period of time.

No, it didn't.

The amount of the smaller credit was $3750. And never applied to Tesla for any model this year (or last year for that matter).

There was a brief period last year where Tesla THOUGHT the $7500 credit (which applied all of 2023) would reduce to $3750 in 2024 on some Model 3s-- but they were wrong and this never happened- instead it reduced to $0 on everything but the P- where it remained $7500.

There are definitely others here, who are better at extrapolating power curve increases into drag time improvements.

I am also on the ball park 2.9s and sub 11s, but again, others do this kind of thing much better than me.

He definitely hasn't. I drove my M3P for two days shy of a year and traded it in for a Plaid. All this speculation and argument about potential tenths and hundredths of a second is pretty laughable. It's going to run whatever it does to 60(let's say 2.9 seconds with or without rollout subtracted, probably with), then fall on it's face slightly less than the previous P. There will be nothing "Plaid" about it. If one is truly interested in numbers to the degree expressed here, just buy a 2022 or 2021 Plaid for somewhere in the $60's and be done with it.
I am in this exact predicament. MYP lease coming due and considering M3L vs used plaid.

Did you go the used route? If so, have you any hesitations about ownership?

Is this view on the UK Model 3 order page new? Looks pretty different from the US view...

1712858518827.png

For everyone who is expecting a 2.9 0-60 mph with rollout subtracted, I did a 2.97 0-60 mph with rollout subtracted with my current Model 3 Performance. The only change was 23 lb 18" wheels. It had a full weight interior and a 200 lb driver

I bet if you went on a diet and lost 40-50lbs, you could shave another 0.1 sec of your 0-60 time…
😉 🤣

This is just a crazy hunch but Doug Demuro didn't release a video at noon today and he almost always releases at noon on Tuesday and Thursdays. I wonder if he will release a video later tonight? Tesla new car releases have been almost exclusively on Thursdays lately. More specifically they have been on Thursday nights. This probably means nothing but maybe not?

This is just a crazy hunch but Doug Demuro didn't release a video at noon today and he almost always releases at noon on Tuesday and Thursdays. I wonder if he will release a video later tonight? Tesla new car releases have been almost exclusively on Thursdays lately. More specifically they have been on Thursday nights. This probably means nothing but maybe not?

I had the same thought... HMMMMMMMM

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
That is a whole lot of car for not much money. If I could fit a Model S in my garage I would have that car too.
I can fit an S and I am not impressed by the M3P’s speed anymore. It’s probably about time I went and got myself a Plaid, but you know what stops me? The lack of buttons on the steering wheel. Capacitive touch BS makes me want the highland 3 steering wheel. I wonder if it could be retrofit into a used plaid without too much trouble…

There I go again talking about *sugar* the mods don’t want us talking about here…

Last edited:
I can fit an S and I am not impressed by the M3P’s speed anymore. It’s probably about time I went and got myself a Plaid, but you know what stops me? The lack of buttons on the steering wheel. Capacitive touch BS makes me want the highland 3 steering wheel. I wonder if it could be retrofit into a used plaid without too much trouble…

There I go again talking about *sugar* the mods don’t want us talking about here…
The capacitive touch buttons work extremely well. If that's all that's stopping you from getting a Plaid, I hope you REALLY enjoy the tiny bump in performance the upcoming "L" or whatever will offer.

Reactions: cptnslo and Sellout

the wheel would probably work. The bigger question would be whether or not the airbag would fire correctly.

Reactions: Sellout