Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland (US) Waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that my EDD is May 2 - 16th
And I still have no vin what are the chances that I will still get it during that time frame
How much time before they actually deliver the car do you get your vin?
How long did it take you guys that have received your car already when they gave you the Vin before you could actually grab the car
For me it will be 20 days between vin and actual delivery.

Reactions: jiren
Thanks, that’s kind of what I was thinking

does anybody think it Is still possible I can receive my vin during my EDD date and still pick it up by the 16th?
Dan, my understanding is that a VIN is mapped to an order as soon as the car has been inspected and gets the green light that it is ok to be shipped out. (basically at 100% completion). I am in S.FL, and every time I called/visited Tesla, every single rep told me that it takes 3 weeks from the "birthday" to my local store. I am not sure how far you are from the factory, but if you get a VIN tomorrow 5/2, that allows 2 weeks of transit, before May 16. If you are close to Fremont, then it might be possible to get it by 5/16....all assuming that you will get a VIN very very soon. Did your EDD changed today or yesterday, and if yes, what was before.

Dan, my understanding is that a VIN is mapped to an order as soon as the car has been inspected and gets the green light that it is ok to be shipped out. (basically at 100% completion). I am in S.FL, and every time I called/visited Tesla, every single rep told me that it takes 3 weeks from the "birthday" to my local store. I am not sure how far you are from the factory, but if you get a VIN tomorrow 5/2, that allows 2 weeks of transit, before May 16. If you are close to Fremont, then it might be possible to get it by 5/16....all assuming that you will get a VIN very very soon. Did your EDD changed today or yesterday, and if yes, what was before.
@Dan. G And I’m in Central Florida. It took 17 days from VIN to delivery. Looks like you are in Chicagoland. I would think 14-16 days from VIN to delivery.

Thanks, that’s kind of what I was thinking

does anybody think it Is still possible I can receive my vin during my EDD date and still pick it up by the 16th?

Don't hesitate to ask for the early(same day) delivery once you have the VIN.

Attachments

• Image_20240501_110454_670.jpeg
    Image_20240501_110454_670.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Dan. G
In the next few days, I will cancel my LR order in Denver, CO. If anyone in the area is looking for a LR Black Ext./White Int. w/ 19" Nova Wheels, it should popup as available inventory as soon as I cancel is my guess. I got my VIN this morning and EDD updated to 5/2-5/11 from 6/28-6/30. Just want to see when it lets me schedule a delivery date for and then I will cancel.

Just a heads up for anyone in Colorado who may be looking for this config!

For those trading old M3s for new M3s, a few tidbits on which accessories were transferrable and which weren't...

I traded a 2020 M3P for the 2024LR

• 3D MAXpider all weather mats: The front and rear floor mats fit the 2024 great. Rear mat may be a little short under the front seats, but it fits pretty well and covers where people's feet will be. Front mats are perfect. Trunk and frunk mats, however, don't really fit. I could get them in there, but not a correct fit and they look janky. Will likely end up replacing those.
  • Had a screen mount sunglasses and phone holder similar to this: Amazon.com. 2024 screen is smaller and thinner than the 2020 screen, so this did not fit the new car.
  • Had a silly trash bag that clipped onto the pocket on the back of the front passenger seat (Amazon.com): does not fit the 2024.

So here’s a question for the hive.

I have heard via several you tube channels that Tesla’s paint has not been very good in the past and Paint protection film (PPF) was kinda a requirement if you intend on keeping the car for a long time (I do). I’m considering it.

Thoughts? Opinions?
So my experience and evolution with PPF goes back 20 years. At first, I was only interested in the rock chip protection and covered only the front bumper of my cars. It was relatively inexpensive and I did notice a pretty big difference driving on California roads. But one thing I also noticed as I ventured into handwashing my own cars is that the PPF'ed surfaces were also easier to clean. I didn't have to be as delicate with those areas.

So fast forward 15 years, 3 cars later, I got my 2018 Model 3 and decided wrap the front bumper, hood, mirrors, headlight and fenders (front half of car). Where I live, unfortunately, I have a lot of trees on my street and have to park my car outside. So I get bird crap, tree sap, and annoying tree blossoms that get stuck on my car. I noticed that the clear coat on my trunk and back half of my car was getting patchy from all the outdoor elements. The front half, which was PPF'ed had no change at all.

So with my new 2024, I decided to go full body PPF. I don't want to worry as much about the occasional small rock chip, but now, I don't have to worry about the elements as much either. And since I'm going full out, I decided on xpel stealth for a matte finish on the ppf to change the look of the car as well. I've had good results with XPEL Glossy in the past because its pretty thick and durable, but now I get a chance to change the look of the car too! So it provides dual purpose for me, paint protection and also a matte look. This is the stealth grey but with the matte finish, it appears as a different shade.

Happy to talk more about my experience if you'd like!
PXL_20240426_185239894.jpg
PXL_20240425_234921219.jpeg
PXL_20240426_000642633.jpeg
PXL_20240426_185251062.jpeg

Last edited:
Not the best pic but it’s mine! New LR in white/black int. Checkout was a breeze. Have seen no gaps or build issues, ambient lighting lines up at doors perfectly, no back lid bulge. :DView attachment 1043777
Folks - if you are not a previous Tesla/premium EV owner and have not messed around with sports cars for the past 20 or so years, beware, the LR is faaaassst.

Reactions: evfangirl
So my experience and evolution with PPF goes back 20 years. At first, I was only interested in the rock chip protection and covered only the front bumper of my cars. It was relatively inexpensive and I did notice a pretty big difference driving on California roads. But one thing I also noticed as I ventured into handwashing my own cars is that the PPF'ed surfaces were also easier to clean. I didn't have to be as delicate with those areas.

So fast forward 15 years, 3 cars later, I got my 2018 Model 3 and decided wrap the front bumper, hood, mirrors, headlight and fenders (front half of car). Where I live, unfortunately, I have a lot of trees on my street and have to park my car outside. So I get bird crap, tree sap, and annoying tree blossoms that get stuck on my car. I noticed that the clear coat on my trunk and back half of my car was getting patchy from all the outdoor elements. The front half, which was PPF'ed had no change at all.

So with my new 2024, I decided to go full body PPF. I don't want to worry as much about the occasional small rock chip, but now, I don't have to worry about the elements as much either. And since I'm going full out, I decided on xpel stealth for a matte finish on the ppf to change the look of the car as well. I've had good results with XPEL Glossy in the past because its pretty thick and durable, but now I get a chance to change the look of the car too! So it provides dual purpose for me, paint protection and also a matte look. This is the stealth grey but with the matte finish, it appears as a different shade.

Happy to talk more about my experience if you'd like!View attachment 1043771View attachment 1043774View attachment 1043775View attachment 1043776
Thanks for this. I also live in a place with lots of tree and bird droppings so I am also going to do the full car. I pick my car up on Sunday and on Monday she’s going to the shop to get XPEL. I’m not sure the matte would be as striking on the white as it is on the grey. Your’s really looks fantastic. I’m going to do the gloss. I went to the shop where I’m going to get it done a few weeks ago and he was doing a white Porsche in matte. It wasn’t nearly as oh wow as the grey. But I’ve seen the grey matte in the wild several months ago and I stopped and talked to the owner because that was just gorgeous. And your pictures confirm that’s the absolute right choice in my opinion even with the new grey. Stunning!!!!