Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - How do I charge at Home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Called a few Electricians and ask them to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage. They quoted ~$300.
Well, from where will the new outlet will be connected?

I general you start from your main panel. If you install a new line, you will need to install a dedicated dual 50 A breaker.
If your mail panel is already full of breakers, you can replace a current breaker with a twin slim breaker,
or you might need to have a sub-panel.

A 50 A outlet is not your typical outlet like the one you use in your living room for an additional lamp table.
So you need to determine how much available Ampacity your system can provide.

If you have an Range and Oven, an Air Conditioning, a water heater, and washing machine and dryer running at the same time,
you might have not enough power. Even if you plan charging only during the night, you have to imagine the worth case.

You certainly need to get a 240 V plug, but depending of your driving mileage, you might only need to get a 30 A,
because if the plug will be far away from the main panel, the cost of a 50 A line will become more expensive.

Also, during the night, you can get a better rate from your local electricity company.

Well, from where will the new outlet will be connected?

I general you start from your main panel. If you install a new line, you will need to install a dedicated dual 50 A breaker.
If your mail panel is already full of breakers, you can replace a current breaker with a twin slim breaker,
or you might need to have a sub-panel.

A 50 A outlet is not your typical outlet like the one you use in your living room for an additional lamp table.
So you need to determine how much available Ampacity your system can provide.

If you have an Range and Oven, an Air Conditioning, a water heater, and washing machine and dryer running at the same time,
you might have not enough power. Even if you plan charging only during the night, you have to imagine the worth case.

You certainly need to get a 240 V plug, but depending of your driving mileage, you might only need to get a 30 A,
because if the plug will be far away from the main panel, the cost of a 50 A line will become more expensive.

Also, during the night, you can get a better rate from your local electricity company.

-My panel is full and they will need to replace a breaker with a dual one, like you said, to make room.

- Electrician said he will install a 240V line and a NEMA 14-50 outlet, which can max out at 50 Amps.

- I will never have my range, oven, AC, washer dryer running at the SAME time, especially at night LOL
and no water heater

- I drive 400 miles per week, but I have a Tesla charger at work - so primarily, I'll be charging at work 90% of time.

Call the county or city offices (Los Angeles is a big place) and ask. In some places if the owner is doing the work, no permit required, but otherwise, I would guess the electrician will pull a permit for you. Since no one mentioned a permit, and your quote price is so low, I would guess you don't need one.

Sounds like you're golden.

None of the Electricians that gave me a quote told me anything about a permit. They simply said I need to install a new breaker and new outlet. No mention of any permits

Do I need a permit for this?

Yeah I get that a lot here in Fairfax County, Virginia. You just have to watch out, because where I am the requirement is on the owner no matter who is doing the work. If a permit doesn't get pulled for something where it is required, the owner is responsible not the contractor. So guess what, not all contractors say anything about permits whether they are required or not. I would call your local jurisdiction just to make sure you have the correct info.

Reactions: Rocky_H
My city does require a permit to install an electrical outlet of 240v.

Funny, when I tell the electricians this - they kind of scoff and say "well, go pull a permit, if you realllly want to..." as if I'm the one forcing a permit. These are 4-5 star rated electricians on YELP, go figure

Getting a M3 next week.

Called a few Electricians and ask them to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage. They quoted ~$300.

Is this the best option? Can I get a 240V outlet installed instead of a NEMA? Or is that the same thing?

Does M3 come with NEMA plug or 240v plug?

I’m so confused lol

I hope that all the good information provided by fellow members is not overwhelming.

If you wish to charge at 40A for quick getaways, the Corded Mobile Charger generally offered for the S/X can be used.
Cost is $520 and plugs into the NEMA 14-50 Receptacle.

Model S/X Corded Mobile Connector

If you wish to charge at 48A for other reasons, you could use the HPWC (cost $500 + cost of NEMA 14-60 whip ) dialed to 48A and equipped with a NEMA 14-60 plug and wired by your electrician. Your electrician will then have to install a NEMA 14-60 receptacle with the wires sized accordingly leading to a 60A breaker in your panel.
Please have the electrician check to see if your Electrical panel can take the NEMA 14-50/60 loading.

If you wish to charge your friend's S100D at 72A ,direct AWG2 wires and a 90A breaker is required along with enough panel capacity and dial up the HPWC to 72A.

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV
If you wish to charge at 48A for other reasons, you could use the HPWC (cost $500 + cost of NEMA 14-60 whip ) dialed to 48A and equipped with a NEMA 14-60 plug and wired by your electrician. Your electrician will then have to install a NEMA 14-60 receptacle with the wires sized accordingly leading to a 60A breaker in your panel.
Please have the electrician check to see if your Electrical panel can take the NEMA 14-50/60 loading.
Don't go suggesting this stuff. The wall connector is supposed to be a hardwired device.

Reactions: TexasEV
Tesla Wall charger.

Really unless you rent I don’t see the purpose of doing anything but the Tesla wall charger. $500 is extremely reasonable, The 25’ of cable would close to that. I did the install myself for just under $500 and $375 was the permit with the muni. it took me <2 hours and it is installed directly next to my breaker panel

If you hire an electrician unless you have to run a ton of wire The permit (if required) most expensive part. And if you need a permit you’ll need it to wire in anything.

• Disagree
Tesla Wall charger.

Really unless you rent I don’t see the purpose of doing anything but the Tesla wall charger. $500 is extremely reasonable, The 25’ of cable would close to that. I did the install myself for just under $500 and $375 was the permit with the muni. it took me <2 hours and it is installed directly next to my breaker panel

If you hire an electrician unless you have to run a ton of wire The permit (if required) most expensive part. And if you need a permit you’ll need it to wire in anything.

Why even get a Tesla Wall Charger?

The Nema 14-50 outlet cost to install by Licensed Electrician is $300 + cost of permit. Total would be around ~$500.

The Tesla Wall Charger would add another $500, making it $1000+.

The car comes with the adapter for Nema 14-50, so why would I get a wall charger , if the goal is to keep cost low?

• Love
Why even get a Tesla Wall Charger?

The Nema 14-50 outlet cost to install by Licensed Electrician is $300 + cost of permit. Total would be around ~$500.

The Tesla Wall Charger would add another $500, making it $1000+.

The car comes with the adapter for Nema 14-50, so why would I get a wall charger , if the goal is to keep cost low?
So up front you are saving <1% the cost of the car. But in the long run thewall charger can handle faster charging speeds and the cable is a much larger diameter.

So between larger gage cable and a hardwire vs a plug you will have more energy efficiency with the wall connector. I used the mobile connector for a week (plugged into a dryer outlet) and felt heat from the unit. Heat= energy loss. And I would also guess the service life of the wall connector is longer with regular use.

My city does require a permit to install an electrical outlet of 240v.

Funny, when I tell the electricians this - they kind of scoff and say "well, go pull a permit, if you realllly want to..." as if I'm the one forcing a permit. These are 4-5 star rated electricians on YELP, go figure

The reason you are getting this response is that it is such a simple job and just about anyone with a little knowledge of electrical will think that getting a permit for this is a waste of your money, that being said if you are not familiar with this and for your piece of mind as well as if you are worried about a responsible party in case of a failure (which could cause a fire) then you should absolutely pull a permit under the contractors license (not owner/builder)

The reason you are getting this response is that it is such a simple job and just about anyone with a little knowledge of electrical will think that getting a permit for this is a waste of your money, that being said if you are not familiar with this and for your piece of mind as well as if you are worried about a responsible party in case of a failure (which could cause a fire) then you should absolutely pull a permit under the contractors license (not owner/builder)

Why should I pull permit under their license and not homeowner? What’s the difference?

All the electricians are telling me to pull my own permit and then they will come do the install.

They make it seem like they really don’t want to deal with a permit situation.

I asked one of them how much they charge for them to do the permit and install and it was like $900-$1000

L

Why should I pull permit under their license and not homeowner? What’s the difference?

All the electricians are telling me to pull my own permit and then they will come do the install.

They make it seem like they really don’t want to deal with a permit situation.

I asked one of them how much they charge for them to do the permit and install and it was like $900-$1000

L
The only reason is that the licensed electrician will be on the hook IF there are any problems, the likelihood of a fire is very slim as the connections will be in a metal box on both ends, as long as everything is wired correctly and connections are tight you should never have a problem, you are more likely to have the plug end overheat where the the mobile connector plugs into the outlet but even that is only a remote possibility, I would definitely source a quality heavy duty outlet though and not a standard duty off the shelf unit from Home Depot

There is a reason that Tesla suggests this one https://www.amazon.com/Hubbell-253-1454-HBL9450A-Receptacle/dp/B000J15QW2
and not this one Leviton 50 Amp Flush Mount Shallow Single Outlet, Black-R10-00279-S00 - The Home Depot

The Hubbell will stand up to the constant current draw which tends to overheat the cheaper outlets contacts causing a potential fire hazard

Glad I read through this thread again. I almost decided to get a HPWC vs a nema 14-50 install. I had figured that I might as well get the HPWC if I was having the electrician come out but I guess its not worth the extra potential 500 bucks vs getting an extra mobile charger. I'll probably go ahead and shell out for the Hubbell plug too. At least when I sell the house, the next owner will have some use for the wall plug vs. an HPWC.

Glad I read through this thread again. I almost decided to get a HPWC vs a nema 14-50 install. I had figured that I might as well get the HPWC if I was having the electrician come out but I guess its not worth the extra potential 500 bucks vs getting an extra mobile charger.
Given the state of the supercharger network in the Houston area, you probably won't even feel a need for an extra mobile charger (unless perhaps you very often make road trips to more rural areas).

Personally I don't really see a good reason to shell out for the wall charger for a Model 3, unless you have more than one Tesla and want to use the load sharing feature between two wall chargers. The only other advantage is a slightly higher charge rate (37 miles/hour instead of 30 from a 50A circuit), but in my experience even a 30A dryer outlet is more than fast enough (at 22 miles/hour) as long as your commute isn't extremely long.