Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An east coast order on 6/29 is probably in for a long wait. I would imagine a September delivery. There are, what I consider, to be significant differences between the 2021 and 2018. The 2021, relatively speaking, will have a better build quality, integrated wireless phone charging without using user accessible USB ports, hidden sentry mode USB (in the glovebox), blacked out trim, power lifting trunk, slightly improved range, and what I consider to be the most significant for those who get a real winter, the inclusion of a heat pump.

If you can’t wait on it then you’re probably going to have to jump on that 2018. If you can wait then you’re better off with the 2021.
What makes you say that about east coast orders? I thought (or more accurately I read online so yeah, gran of salt) that Tesla prioritized orders by distance from Freemont. The idea being that as the quarter comes to a close, the remaining orders are all closer to the factory, increasing the odds they get them delivered before quarter end.

Ordered: 6/29
EDD: Went from 7/9-7/29
Now it's at 11-17 weeks :(

SA said: "As always we try to meet and exceed delivery estimates when our clients place their orders, these are just estimates and can update based on worldwide demand."
Honestly at this point I think that whenever Tesla is batching out VIN numbers their software “gets confused and runs home to mama” and throws a generic weeks EDD til everything is updated.

Seems to be a pretty heavy trend in the time I’ve been on the forums that we all get this and then more VINs are assigned. Then back to a date range.

Bonus points if anyone got the jonesy “Hunt for Red October” reference.

What makes you say that about east coast orders? I thought (or more accurately I read online so yeah, gran of salt) that Tesla prioritized orders by distance from Freemont. The idea being that as the quarter comes to a close, the remaining orders are all closer to the factory, increasing the odds they get them delivered before quarter end.
It's significantly easier and convenient to deliver to California and surrounding areas. There are fewer logistical challenges, self-induced or otherwise, and more local routes for delivery. There has been much discussion about Tesla's priorities (e.g., completing pre-delivery tasks, in-house financing, etc.) for queueing and delivering vehicles. We can apply all the logic to how things should work that we want, but the truth is Tesla doesn't even know what Tesla prioritizes.

Honestly at this point I think that whenever Tesla is batching out VIN numbers their software “gets confused and runs home to mama” and throws a generic weeks EDD til everything is updated.

Seems to be a pretty heavy trend in the time I’ve been on the forums that we all get this and then more VINs are assigned. Then back to a date range.

Bonus points if anyone got the jonesy “Hunt for Red October” reference.
Nice "Hunt for Red October" reference!

Also part of the 7-11 Week EDD club

I was just talking to a few insiders; an SA, a few guys in engineering at Fremont, and a guy working on stuff in Giga Berlin, none directly involved with production or with direct knowledge of production schedules. Like everyone else, I went from estimated delivery of now to 11-17 weeks land wanted to know why. Typically, at the start of the quarter Fremont is making foreign market cars. Different charge ports, steering wheel on the other side, different turn signals, etc. It isn't until mid-quarter that they change to North American production. With the delays in Giga Berlin and the recall in China, more foreign demand has been placed on Fremont for Q3.

The guess is that they have decided to switch to foreign market car production before fulfilling the slated NA market cars to meet long-standing order demand that China is falling down on and to get out another batch of Model Y that can't wait until Giga Berlin makes them. They make SR white, then blue/grey, then black/red, then do the same color order for LR, and finally performance. The SR guys are seeing 9 to 15 weeks, so it is entirely possible that the foreign market production will actually be running for the next 7 or 8 weeks before the switch back over to NA market production.

For context, I ordered in May and got a June 12th delivery date that I couldn't make work because I was out of the country on business. They wouldn't hold the car until I returned, released the VIN, and put my order on hold. I took it off hold June 21st which is my effective order date I guess. I had a July 12th to 23rd EDD during the first week of July, so that changing to 11-17weeks when I could have had the damn car for a month already is really frustrating. The realization that the EDD is probably based on actual logistics of switching production to foreign market cars is not great either. I'd really like to know for sure so I can buy a used ICE if I really have to wait 4 more months (buying the 3 after my car was totaled in a hit and run).

My config is LR Blue/White 19" no-FSD.

I don't see too many waiting as long as I have - I ordered April 18th. Get ready for long waits I guess.
Here are some of my recent EDDs:
16-JunJul 15 - Aug 4
17-JunJul 10 - Jul 30
20-Jun7-10 weeks
22-Jun7-10 weeks
24-Jun7-10 weeks
28-Jun7-10 weeks
29-Jun7-10 weeks
30-Jun7-10 weeks
5-JulJul 17-Aug 1
6-JulJul 18 - Aug 1
7-Jul7-10 weeks
8-Jul7-10 weeks
9-JulAug 12 - Sep 1
12-JulAug 28 - Sep 17
13-Jul7-10 weeks

For context, I ordered in May and got a June 12th delivery date that I couldn't make work because I was out of the country on business. They wouldn't hold the car until I returned, released the VIN, and put my order on hold. I took it off hold June 21st which is my effective order date I guess. I had a July 12th to 23rd EDD during the first week of July, so that changing to 11-17weeks when I could have had the damn car for a month already is really frustrating. The realization that the EDD is probably based on actual logistics of switching production to foreign market cars is not great either. I'd really like to know for sure so I can buy a used ICE if I really have to wait 4 more months (buying the 3 after my car was totaled in a hit and run).

My config is LR Blue/White 19" no-FSD.
The 11-17 weeks is just a placeholder, it's not your actual EDD.

So my buddy got his M3 delivered to his home. He goes outside to look at it and sees this:
View attachment 683757
And Tesla wants him to pay for a new tire. I can’t believe what’s going on. I’m not sure how to reconcile my extremely bullish belief in Tesla as a company mixed in with their lousy customer service. Just sad.

FYI, my buddy's tire was replaced last night by Tesla at no charge. Glad Tesla took care of it and resolved the issue. 👍

I don't see too many waiting as long as I have - I ordered April 18th. Get ready for long waits I guess.
Here are some of my recent EDDs:
16-JunJul 15 - Aug 4
17-JunJul 10 - Jul 30
20-Jun7-10 weeks
22-Jun7-10 weeks
24-Jun7-10 weeks
28-Jun7-10 weeks
29-Jun7-10 weeks
30-Jun7-10 weeks
5-JulJul 17-Aug 1
6-JulJul 18 - Aug 1
7-Jul7-10 weeks
8-Jul7-10 weeks
9-JulAug 12 - Sep 1
12-JulAug 28 - Sep 17
13-Jul7-10 weeks
I ordered 4/14. Hope we don't have to wait much longer! I'm also in the 7-10 weeks camp today.

Reactions: wdluhn