Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 now has FOUR battery/range choices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

So today Tesla surprised me once again: not with the announcement that the base Model 3 can now be ordered for $35K, but with the news that the 3 can now be ordered with FOUR different battery choices! Standard Range, Standard Range Plus, Mid Range, and Long Range.

That seems unnecessarily complex to me. The mileage differences between those battery choices are 20, 24, and 61, with the additional complication that Dual Motor Long Range now shows a range of 15 miles less than the RWD Long Range (a version that was not available for several months but is now back).

The ranges are; 220, 240, 265, 310 (Dual Motor), and 325 miles.

Do prospective Model 3 buyers really need 4 range choices? I think that every other EV manufacturer only offers ONE battery size per car model. And the S/X only offer a single battery size, the 100kWh.

Really, it’s kind of odd. Apparently Tesla has decided that offering 4 range choices will boost Model 3 sales. I hope that proves to be the case, but I’m wondering if it will confuse some prospective purchasers.

In addition, the Model 3 now has a choice of THREE interior trim levels; Standard, Partial Premium, and Premium, but they are tied to battery ranges so the buyer really doesn’t have a choice in the usual sense of the word (except the Premium interior can be had with either the Mid or the Long Range models).

The final surprise to me is that the base Model 3 comes with the all glass roof. Initially Tesla indicated the base version would have a metal roof, if I recall correctly. In addition, the base version comes with Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors.

So Tesla simplified Model 3 production by having all cars come with the same roof and side mirrors, but complicated production by offering 4 range choices and 3 interiors.

And there are still only 5 paint color choices.

Regardless, I think Model 3 demand is going to surge and reach new heights now that the $35K version is available (at least in the US, other countries will see it in the near future I’m sure).

And yet again, Tesla is not revealing the physical battery capacity/cells. - Why?

So they can change the underlying config down the road and not worry about changing badges, config, etc. You should be able to dig up the actual size eventually though.

I do agree that there are too many configs at the moment. I think MR will eventually go away, and we will just have SR Plus, while maybe keeping SR around (software locked). Then maybe they'll add in AWD to the SR plus.

Down the road maybe they'll have an actual SR sized battery, then they'll drop SR Plus. No idea if they'll keep MR at that point.

Reactions: ucmndd
So they can change the underlying config down the road and not worry about changing badges, config, etc. You should be able to dig up the actual size eventually though.

I do agree that there are too many configs at the moment. I think MR will eventually go away, and we will just have SR Plus, while maybe keeping SR around (software locked). Then maybe they'll add in AWD to the SR plus.

Down the road maybe they'll have an actual SR sized battery, then they'll drop SR Plus. No idea if they'll keep MR at that point.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 220 mile "SR" (which I still think is software locked) goes the way of the original 40kwh Model S in the near future due to "low demand". They met their objective, sold a $35k car for a few months, but gosh darn it just turned out nobody wanted it so we stopped making it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 220 mile "SR" (which I still think is software locked) goes the way of the original 40kwh Model S in the near future due to "low demand". They met their objective, sold a $35k car for a few months, but gosh darn it just turned out nobody wanted it so we stopped making it.

Exactly what I thought too. Hence, if you are on a budget, I wouldn't wait too long before pulling the trigger because in my view the SR will only last a couple of weeks. Down the road, you will need to pay 2K extra to get the SR+

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
You sure get a lot of extra for that 2K

Range boost of over 9% from 220 to 240 plus slightly faster acceleration of 5.3 from 5.6 sec. 0-60

Upgrading from this

Standard Interior Includes:

• Manual seat and steering adjustment
  • Cloth seats and base trim
  • Basic audio
  • Standard maps and navigation
  • Center console with storage and 4 USB ports
To

Partial Premium Interior Includes:

• 12-way power adjustable heated front seats
  • Premium seat material and trim
  • Upgraded audio – immersive sound
  • Standard maps & navigation
  • LED fog lamps
  • Center console with storage, 4 USB ports and docking for 2 smartphones
Seems like only the most cash strapped individuals will not pop for the extra 2K so i'm guessing the actual 35k model will be in such low demand that it will go away quickly and shortly after that more standard features such as full premium interior and then a higher starting price like they did with the S earlier.

So when I woke up this morning I realized I had a possible explanation in response to the questions I posed starting this thread...
The ranges are; 220, 240, 265, 310 (Dual Motor), and 325 miles...Do prospective Model 3 buyers really need 4 range choices? I think that every other EV manufacturer only offers ONE battery size per car model...Apparently Tesla has decided that offering 4 range choices will boost Model 3 sales.
The answer is: profit margins.

We know, because Elon has said it many times in the past, that Tesla first offered the more expensive versions of the 3 because they are more profitable and that profit enables the company to later offer less expensive, and less profitable versions.

And as of yesterday Tesla is offering those less profitable versions, including the base version. But by offering options that are only incrementally more costly, Tesla is increasing the likelihood that buyers will choose something other than the base version, thereby increasing the Model 3 ASP (Average Sales Price). And increasing the ASP is what increases overall profitability.

So instead of having only two battery/range choices (as Tesla was expected to do a year ago) with many thousands of dollars separating them, which created a very real financial and psychological barrier for many buyers, now for just an additional $2K over the base price you can get a bit more range and a significantly nicer interior, or for just $5K over the base price you can get even more range and an even better interior with more features, or for $7K more you can get the max range and the best interior (and you can add Dual Motor, and AP, and Performance, and FSDC, bigger wheels, nicer paint, all for much more money).

So Tesla has delivered on its promise of the $35K base Model 3 while also offering incremental pricing that increases the likelihood that buyers will pay a bit more and boost Tesla’s margins.

Note: some of Tesla’s critics love to go on about how the base Model 3 is a myth, or isn’t really available, or won’t be easy to actually buy. None of that is true. When you go to https://3.tesla.com/model3/design#battery the default selection is the Standard Range choice and with a few more clicks you can buy the car. It could not be any easier, a point emphasized by the announcement yesterday that Tesla is shifting to a 100% online sale process and laying off most of its showroom sales staff.

So unlike the traditional auto dealership model, where manufacturers love to advertise the base price of their models but when you go to the dealership lot you can never find the base model on the lot because the dealers don’t want to sell them — you have to order a base model and wait for weeks/months to get it which almost no one does, they buy what they see on the lot which are cars loaded with options — with Tesla you go online, click, and choose whicher version you want and then wait. I see nothing on Tesla’s website about wait times after ordering being longer for lower-priced versions.

And the S/X only offer a single battery size, the 100kWh.
And that has changed as well Tesla releases new Model S battery pack, makes massive price drop, kills base Model X pack but that is a discussion for the S/X forums, not this forum.

• 240 mi Standard Range Plus
  • 220 mi Standard Range
These two versions could have the same battery with 2976 cells that the SR pack is expected to have based on the leaked information here. Because we know that LR has 4416 cells and SR was expected to have 2976 cells, I was able to calculate that EPA rated range for Model 3 SR should be 234 miles before any voluntary reduction. However, my calculation is based on LR's EPA score in late 2017. They might have made some improvements since then that would increase the score from 234 miles to 240.

Therefore it would be perfectly normal for Model 3 SR to score 240 miles EPA rated range and then Tesla could use that score for the 'Standard Range Plus' version and voluntarily reduce the score to 220 miles for normal Standard Range. Also, be aware that the 325 miles EPA rated range for Model 3 LR is not new. The car already scored 325 miles EPA but Tesla was voluntarily lowering the score to 310 miles because they wanted to advertise 310 miles for LR/ LR AWD and P versions presumably for marketing reasons.

• 240 mi Standard Range Plus
  • 220 mi Standard Range
These two versions could have the same battery with 2976 cells that the SR pack is expected to have based on the leaked information here. Because we know that LR has 4416 cells and SR was expected to have 2976 cells, I was able to calculate that EPA rated range for Model 3 SR should be 234 miles before any voluntary reduction. However, my calculation is based on LR's EPA score in late 2017. They might have made some improvements since then that would increase the score from 234 miles to 240.

Therefore it would be perfectly normal for Model 3 SR to score 240 miles EPA rated range and then Tesla could use that score for the 'Standard Range Plus' version and voluntarily reduce the score to 220 miles for normal Standard Range. Also, be aware that the 325 miles EPA rated range for Model 3 LR is not new. The car already scored 325 miles EPA but Tesla was voluntarily lowering the score to 310 miles because they wanted to advertise 310 miles for LR/ LR AWD and P versions presumably for marketing reasons.

It is entirely possible the 220 mile SR has a software-restricted battery pack from the 240 mile (EPA range) SR+. But I think the SR+, MR and LR are three different battery packs.

Based on past history from Tesla, if you want the cut down $35K version, order it now. Wait a few weeks and it might disappear, just like the 40 kWh version of the Model S disappeared.

IMHO: If you are considering the $35K version, pay the extra $2K for the much better interior and 10% more range. You won't regret it. Also cough up the $3K for the TACC+Autosteer. You won't regret that either.

Reactions: halfricanguy
I think the SR+, MR and LR are three different battery packs.

I agree. The point I was making is, I think there are 3 battery sizes, not 4.

It is entirely possible the 220 mile SR has a software-restricted battery pack from the 240 mile (EPA range) SR+.

Actually, that would require separate EPA test for these two versions. It would be easier to leave the actual range the same in both cars but just change the displayed range. EPA allows this. However, SR+ buyers wouldn't be too happy because the 20 mi difference would be fake. Eventually, we will find out how they did it but EPA releases the documents a few months late.

Last edited:
Based on past history from Tesla, if you want the cut down $35K version, order it now. Wait a few weeks and it might disappear, just like the 40 kWh version of the Model S disappeared.
I don’t agree. It’s not a valid comparison. According to Tesla, the Model S40 ended because so few people were ordering it. I believe that in that vehicle price range, buyers were willing and able to pay more and were not interested in an EV with significantly less than 200 miles of EPA range. Remember, way back in 2012 EV “range anxiety” was a much-hyped issue and there was no Supercharger network. Now, 7 years later, Superchargers are widely (though not always) available and people are more educated about how much EV range is needed and desirable.

I believe the $35K Model 3 will prove to be very popular. It’s not going away.

Here's my take.
Tesla does not want to be selling the $35K model, but they promised it and, thus they have to. They would rather sell the $37K model because it is likely simpler to manufacture as it has fewer differences. So, the 220 mile battery is likely software locked version of the 240 mile battery and once Tesla has offered the $35K model long enough to make good on the promise, it will go the way of the 40 kWh MS. Then we are where Tesla wants to be. Also I suspect many of the $35K buyers will choose to upgrade to the $37K model (seems like a no-brainer to me). If I am wrong and Tesla saw serious demand for the $35K model after the line standers orders are filled, they could choose to make a cheaper dedicated non software locked version ... But I don't see that as likely!