Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 now has FOUR battery/range choices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow you might have a gotten a hidden deal?

And to add to the confusion even more, I got my options code list from the REST API and I have a BT37 options (75kwh pack for the M3) and a CH07 (48A OBC) which seems to be for the LR battery pack only. Not sure how reliable this information is though.. I guess that with the 48A OBC, I could always give that a try with at a charging station that can deliver 48A.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
SR/+ and MR are two different module designs. MR has more cells. The blanks are open on one end, and thus filled with a fire retardant potting material that insulates all of the module. Just because less cells doesn’t necessarily equate to less weight...have to factor in what takes the place of the cell and what it weighs.

As far as the rest of the car, I can’t speak to the differences of SR/+ and MR.

SR/+ and MR are two different module designs. MR has more cells. The blanks are open on one end, and thus filled with a fire retardant potting material that insulates all of the module. Just because less cells doesn’t necessarily equate to less weight...have to factor in what takes the place of the cell and what it weighs.

As far as the rest of the car, I can’t speak to the differences of SR/+ and MR.

How do you know this and that it's not a software limited MR pack? Basically i want to know if i can charge to 100% without damaging battery! Haha

Wow! I believe your every word!
Sounds like you've seen these in person, upclose & eyeball to eyeball!

Got my SR+ 8h ago and weighted it with precise scale. It's to the exact pound the same weight as a MR (not sure if this weight is confirmed). It's very confusing : the sticker price mention a Long range option at 10k$ for which I never paid and the on the CAN , the nominal Full Pack Energy reported at 53.9kwh with a 2.4kwh buffer.

My sticker price also mentioned the Long Range Option too at 8K(USD), I think that is normal? But if the weight of the SR+ is identical to the MR, then how could the SR+ mange 8% less range with 20% less battery capacity than the MR?

Today Tesla has discontinued the $35K Model 3 SR. I'm not surprised.
I think the $35K version will be discontinued because Elon has now kept his promise and they already have the replacement in place which is the $37K version. Most people will buy the $37K SR+ anyway which means $35K SR will be gone.

Last edited:
Today Tesla has discontinued the $35K Model 3 SR. I'm not surprised.

Technically, they changed the configuration details and took it off-menu. but the "SR" (non-plus) configuration is still available. With the bundling of AP on most builds, it's unclear if this version is still $35K, though, so you may be correct; or maybe not. At a minimum, though, it's now a sort of "red-headed step-child" configuration.

It played out as I thought it would. Here is what I think happened:

Tesla's 220 miles estimate for SR was conservative. They knew the actual score would be higher. We don't know the actual score because EPA hasn't released it yet but using the LR and SR cell counts that were leaked here in 2017 and EPA scores of LR, I'm calculating that the SR pack with 2976 cells actually scores ~234 miles EPA rated range.

I think to make use of this difference they came up with the SR+ idea as an afterthought. To increase the range gap between SR and SR+ I think Tesla increased the ~234 miles score to 240 miles by using alternative multipliers instead of 70% to convert dyno scores to range numbers. EPA allows this. This is actually a common method they use.

In fact, Model 3 LR AWD didn't quite score 310 miles either but they really wanted exactly 310 miles for all three versions, so they used the same method there. At the time, I found the alternative multipliers in an EPA document. It was published on Electrek here. To summarize, SR+ buyers are getting what was originally planned to be SR's battery and SR's range.

This thread started on 1st March 2019 when Tesla added SR to the design studio. On the same day, I wrote message #22 above and predicted that SR would be discontinued because most people buy SR+ anyway. Unsurprisingly, Tesla's blog post here mentions the same reason. Quote: "Given the popularity of the Standard Plus relative to the Standard, ..." Therefore, as far as predictions go, I'm happy with mine. Here are other predictions:
  • Soon the off-menu SR option will be gone.
  • Eventually, they will replace SR+ with SR AWD. All Model 3s will be AWD.
  • When they start Model Y production, SR will be completely discontinued. They will only have LR AWD and P versions of Model 3 and Y.
I think the $35K version will be discontinued because Elon has now kept his promise and they already have the replacement in place which is the $37K version. Most people will buy the $37K SR+ anyway which means $35K SR will be gone.

Also, based on my calculation, I think SR and SR+ will have the exact same battery and the actual EPA score will be 240 mi for both because the SR pack with 2976 cells can in fact achieve 240 mi EPA. I think the 220 mi SR score is a voluntary reduction.

Last edited:
I think the SR has already been discontinued, except for people with existing orders and a few people who might run to the store (or phone) to place an order. It effectively was available for less than 2 months.
Met Elon's promise of having a $35K Model 3, and now gone. Just like the 40kWh version of the Model S.

I think the SR has already been discontinued, except for people with existing orders and a few people who might run to the store (or phone) to place an order. It effectively was available for less than 2 months.
Met Elon's promise of having a $35K Model 3, and now gone. Just like the 40kWh version of the Model S.

All the things that make my car feel like a Tesla are missing on that 35k version. Supercharging ability is the only thing about that car that might give it an edge over a competitor. Good for the people that got it, but I'm glad there won't be a flood of them.

All the things that make my car feel like a Tesla are missing on that 35k version. Supercharging ability is the only thing about that car that might give it an edge over a competitor. Good for the people that got it, but I'm glad there won't be a flood of them.

35k version will still have have a damn good drivetrain and awesome handling that gives it the edge over competitors. However, admittedly, most consumers don't consider drivetrain and handling when purchasing a vehicle, which is why Camrys sell so well.

I also realize that great drivetrains and sublime handling are not exclusively Tesla features, but at this price point I'd argue they are.

• Funny
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
snip......as far as predictions go, I'm happy with mine. Here are other predictions:
  • Soon the off-menu SR option will be gone.
  • Eventually, they will replace SR+ with SR AWD. All Model 3s will be AWD.
  • When they start Model Y production, SR will be completely discontinued. They will only have LR AWD and P versions of Model 3 and Y.
Sounds like you should put those in the “I called it” thread.:):):)