Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 now has FOUR battery/range choices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On paper the $37k model is a no brainer. I'm a little surprised at how much the "partial premium" includes, plus remember everything has a glass roof now.

How many years ago did they promise $35k and what's inflation been since then? People get fixated on specific numbers and promises. Bottom line is the $37k model puts everything else on the market to shame today.

I think the $35K version will be discontinued because Elon has now kept his promise and they already have the replacement in place which is the $37K version. Most people will buy the $37K SR+ anyway which means $35K SR will be gone.

Also, based on my calculation, I think SR and SR+ will have the exact same battery and the actual EPA score will be 240 mi for both because the SR pack with 2976 cells can in fact achieve 240 mi EPA. I think the 220 mi SR score is a voluntary reduction.

Last edited:
When Tesla cancels a model due to “lack of demand" that phrase is more than likely BS. The Standard car is being offered now for a limited time to live up to the promise that they hyped when they announced it for the introduction. They are not offering a steel roof because they don’t intend on selling many because they don’t intend on loosing money on too many cars. I wouldn’t be surprised if the base car was just a software locked battery again because why build a different product for a short limited run of cars that are soon to be discontinued due to a claimed “lack of demand". They might make money on Mid Range cars so that will eventually become the standard in addition to the Long Range 3. Tesla is sitting on Model 3 now that the pent up US demand for the 3 has dried up as is evident by the no wait times for delivery.

Last edited:
The Tesla money grab continues. The $35K model is available, but it is so undesirable, and improvements are only a couple grand more. And of course the batteries are software locked, it would be stupid to make entirely separate 264, 240, and 220 mile batteries, especially if the plan is to only keep the 220 mile car around for a little while, just so Tesla can say "THERE, you cheap asses, take your damn $35K base model and shut up!!!".

The SR 3 should have more reduced features, like maybe a 2 year / 24K mile warranty instead of 4 year / 50K mile. Tesla would be saying "It's available, but do you REALLY want it? Spend more!".

The MR won't last long either, it was only a stopgap to appease the people who wanted a cheaper version for a while.

Some of the changes in the SR make sense, like no power adjustable steering column. How often do you adjust your steering column, and is it really that much of a hassle to do it manually? Even different drivers should not need to change it unless one driver is 5 feet tall and the other is 6 foot 6. But the cheaper console -- how expensive is a console that there needed to be a cheaper version? How much money is Tesla saving there?

But I also think there needs to be clear outward signs on the different Model 3 variants. The P3D has red brake calipers as an outward sign that says "I can afford the awesome high powered version and I have it, I've done better in life than you", then the SR also needs to have unmistakable, unchangeable options, like the different console and cloth seats that say "I'm a cheap ass who couldn't afford better and had to sell my baseball card collection and max out my credit cards to just barely be able to afford the cheapest 3 I could get".:eek: Elitist? Yes, when it works in my favor!:cool: My early production LR RWD will be the longest range version and will still hit 5.0 0-60 times.

The Tesla money grab continues. The $35K model is available, but it is so undesirable, and improvements are only a couple grand more.

Maybe semantics, but I totally disagree that it is totally undesirable. Really? While I think that the $37K model is more desirable, the $35K is everything that I expected and MORE. I didn't think that the $35K model would have an all glass roof! Or have auto folding and heated side mirrors, or be as quick. It is a phenomenal offering IMO. The $37K offering is the real news though. It would take a unique person or budget to to choose the $35K instead of the $37K. No way Tesla can keep up with the demand at these prices before the tax credit is halved again!

I am considering buying a M3, and am concerned about range. As a chain is no stronger than its weakest link, I consider worst case scenario for driving range to be the weak link.

From what I have read in this forum, the advertised range doesn't seem to be realistic from the start, as you only have 80% range available for routine use (90%-10%). Factor in worst winter conditions, heater use, cold soaked battery, ect... As an extreme metric, I chop the advertised range in half.

Does this seem overly conservative?

What is the expected battery degradation rate over time/charge cycles?

Thanks,

SR could be taken off the menu in U.S. and still added to other countries later. Just like last week LR RWD was not avail in U.S. but was for China.

I think it's a byproduct of their manufacturing lines, one line is either producing U.S. models or overseas models, for three months at a time, whatever is not being made has to rely on inventory and could be taken off menu (permanently or temporarily)

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I am considering buying a M3, and am concerned about range. As a chain is no stronger than its weakest link, I consider worst case scenario for driving range to be the weak link.

From what I have read in this forum, the advertised range doesn't seem to be realistic from the start, as you only have 80% range available for routine use (90%-10%). Factor in worst winter conditions, heater use, cold soaked battery, ect... As an extreme metric, I chop the advertised range in half.

Does this seem overly conservative?

What is the expected battery degradation rate over time/charge cycles?

Thanks,

Two separate questions.

1) Buy the range which suits your usage.
- We deliberately bought the car for road trips so need every kWh we could get, and our configuration shows that.
- The SR+ would work for many people, providing they either don't have a really long commute in cold weather, or don't frequently go on road trips.
So look at your maximum daily usage and look at how frequently you would go on a long road trip.

2) Degradation appears minimal, provided you avoid abusing the battery.
- Rarely charge above 90% and rarely drop below 10%.

The $35K model is available, but it is so undesirable
Disagree. Compared to the EV competition in its price range, I believe it is very desirable, and it will sell very well. Time will tell...
The SR 3 should have more reduced features, like maybe a 2 year / 24K mile warranty instead of 4 year / 50K mile. Tesla would be saying "It's available, but do you REALLY want it? Spend more!".
Disagree. The base 3 overall warranty should be the same as the other versions, no reason to make it different. The base 3 has fewer features than the other versions, which is why it is priced less. The lower price is the buying incentive.
Some of the changes in the SR make sense, like no power adjustable steering column.
I had not noticed that, thanks for pointing that out. The interior features list as shown in the configuration (image below) states that the steering column adjustment for the base version is “manual” but then doesn’t specify that it is powered in the other interior configurations. I wonder if that description is correct. We shall see...
1F223C3B-93B0-4A24-8F18-61AFE8CE9B2F.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
They’ve stated that they realized they needed a redesigned battery pack to make the $35,000 short range model financially viable.

They have now confirmed that this new option is the long range pack with some cells omitted. This makes the car slightly heavier than it could be with a pack designed for 260 miles, but it solves a problem for them:

I think what is happening is that their bottleneck has swung back around to batteries. We already know that Panasonic has announced an accelerated timeline for bringing more machines online at Giga factory. We also know that Model 3 production and sales have mostly capped out at around 4200 units a week, despite the fact that it appears they have run up the assembly lines close to, or even over, 6000 for a week here or there. We also know that sales of the long range model without AWD died off almost immediately when AWD became available. So:

• Everyone who can cough up for the longest range, can also spare $5000 for AWD, and almost all are doing so.
  • Tesla is making AWD as fast as they can, and may even be clearing out the backlog on them.
  • They likely could now make more cars than they currently are, but they wouldn’t have the extra motors/batteries for those cars to be long range or AWD.

Also, based on my calculation, I think SR and SR+ will have the exact same battery and the actual EPA score will be 240 mi for both because the SR pack with 2976 cells can in fact achieve 240 mi EPA. I think the 220 mi SR score is a voluntary reduction.

Wouldn’t that make the need for a SR and MR pack almost pointless? What would that be (no mental math at all) 75, 60, 55 for each pack?

I think the Standard Range is going to be a permanent menu item.

Tesla will probably break even on the standard range. They have forecasted a loss for this quarter, but expect profits next.

But, Tesla of course does not want to sell you a 35k car. But, the low price is needed to get people over to the web site and start clicking.

Most people are concerned with the monthly loan (or lease) cost. For about $35/month you can upgrade to the plus version.

By having the lower price available they drive people to the web site to buy and splurge a bit. Without the lower price option people think Tesla is just too expensive to start with and do not even bother trying.

Biggest thing is if you buy the $35k car Tesla can sell you their most profitable item -- Autopilot... Software upgrade.

Last edited:
I think the Standard Range is going to be a permanent menu item.

Tesla will probably break even on the standard range. They have forecasted a loss for this quarter, but expect profits next.

But, Tesla of course does not want to sell you a 35k car. But, the low price is needed to get people over to the web site and start clicking.

Most people are concerned with the monthly loan (or lease) cost. For about $35/month you can upgrade to the plus version.

By having the lower price available they drive people to the web site to buy and splurge a bit. Without the lower price option people think Tesla is just too expensive to start with and do not even bother trying.

Biggest thing is if you buy the $35k car Tesla can sell you their most profitable item -- Autopilot... Software upgrade.

That's an interesting bit strategy, I agree. "just 2k more, just x amount more". It is pretty effective especially when trim lines are so close together. And thinking about it, a lot of the lower end cars (like a Civic or Prius) have so many variations and trimlines to cover the basics to decked out.

I think the key thing is how well GF1 will be able to scale to handle all of these packs. It does feel like SR+ right now is a software lock of a MR (based on the lead time for SR+ and the Partial Premium Interior), so right now there's only the SR pack, the MR pack, and the LR pack in reality. 3 configs for something in this price range probably isn't too bad, especially since there's a lot more volume to justify more configs.

The only thing I wonder is if SR+ will stick around. I cannot see them making a SR+ specific battery at this time, and assuming it is a software lock it doesn't feel cost efficient to keep making all of those cars with dormant hardware. But I guess if it's between selling a SR+ car vs SR vs nothing at all, I guess they'll take it.

The plus naming convention also opens up the future possibility of shifting ranges/trimlines down the road as tech improves. I could see LR plus down the road (with >325 mi range), and maybe a MR plus as well, though Tesla could choose to keep the existing range and drive down cost instead.

The SR standard can't be discontinued before it's available worldwide.
Says who?
I think it's a byproduct of their manufacturing lines, one line is either producing U.S. models or overseas models, for three months at a time, whatever is not being made has to rely on inventory and could be taken off menu (permanently or temporarily)
If that's how Tesla operates their lines (which I doubt), then their operations would be a joke compared to established Japanese automakers.

I thought I've posted here on TMC about this but will point to my posts elsewhere about personally seeing multiple different models even w/steering wheels on opposite sides on the same line at Mazda and Toyota plants.

Choose 2012 Prius Five or 2012 Elantra Limited?
Where is the Prius made?

Assembly Line Flexibility Sets Japanese Apart from 1990 says
Not only can Mazda build four, five or even six different cars on the same assembly line, it can also have two or three of those complicated lines running inside the same factory. Without sacrificing quality.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
SR could be taken off the menu in U.S. and still added to other countries later. Just like last week LR RWD was not avail in U.S. but was for China.

No

That's an interesting bit strategy, I agree. "just 2k more, just x amount more". It is pretty effective especially when trim lines are so close together. And thinking about it, a lot of the lower end cars (like a Civic or Prius) have so many variations and trimlines to cover the basics to decked out.

I think the key thing is how well GF1 will be able to scale to handle all of these packs. It does feel like SR+ right now is a software lock of a MR (based on the lead time for SR+ and the Partial Premium Interior), so right now there's only the SR pack, the MR pack, and the LR pack in reality. 3 configs for something in this price range probably isn't too bad, especially since there's a lot more volume to justify more configs.

The only thing I wonder is if SR+ will stick around. I cannot see them making a SR+ specific battery at this time, and assuming it is a software lock it doesn't feel cost efficient to keep making all of those cars with dormant hardware. But I guess if it's between selling a SR+ car vs SR vs nothing at all, I guess they'll take it.

The plus naming convention also opens up the future possibility of shifting ranges/trimlines down the road as tech improves. I could see LR plus down the road (with >325 mi range), and maybe a MR plus as well, though Tesla could choose to keep the existing range and drive down cost instead.

I agree and jumped on the SR+ b/c of this. Esp if everything is software locked, I would pay to upgrade in the future (charge on credit card for points like this guy! A 29-year-old bought a $60,000 Tesla with a credit card and earned an estimated $5,000 in rewards)

My only Q is will Tesla still do delivery pricing for EAP etc after trials

• Disagree