Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've always had FOMO for not getting the Performance 3 back in 2018 so I am going to stick to my current order.

I have no regrets. I did, however, regret not getting the P when I got my 2021 LR. And I even got the boost for the LR which makes the acceleration difference negligible... and still wished the whole time I had gotten the P.

Same here. I suspect that Tesla will likely offer the Acceleration Boost for the LR again soon too with this development. The LR w/AB would still be more than enough car for me (and most ppl too) at the end of the day since it's my daily driver...but it's time for me to YOLO out on this one to end this FOMO from having missed out on the M3P last time.

IMG_3131.jpeg

I’m about to pull the trigger on this. I’m suspecting once people find out about the 7.5K rebate the available ones will be gone and it’ll be the EDD game all over again.

Seeing as some people from January still don’t have their LRs I’m most likely going to cancel my order and get this now.

The really only thing I miss out on in the M3P is the speed. “Normal” mode should pull about the same as the trap speed is similar. Rest is all cons for the M3P in the Midwest.

It looks like some January highland orders still don't have VINs. The M3LR now qualifies for the EV incentive federal rebate, which should boost sales quite a bit. We shall see how this plays out with M3P deliveries and delays. A lot of the 6/20 - 6/30 EDDs are approaching their end of quarter dates. It'll be interesting how Q3 will play out.

How is anyone still waiting for a Model 3 non P? When I check inventory around me, there are no less than 20 sitting around waiting within 50 miles of me. And that's just the LR model alone!

Same here. I suspect that Tesla will likely offer the Acceleration Boost for the LR again soon too with this development. The LR w/AB would still be more than enough car for me (and most ppl too) at the end of the day since it's my daily driver...but it's time for me to YOLO out on this one to end this FOMO from having missed out on the M3P last time.
I wonder if they did ever offer AB if it would be limited to the Panasonic battery builds. Maybe that's why they haven't offered it so far?

Reactions: P-Lo801
How is anyone still waiting for a Model 3 non P? When I check inventory around me, there are no less than 20 sitting around waiting within 50 miles of me. And that's just the LR model alone!
Most of the inventory LRs that have been sitting for a while wouldn't qualify for the tax credit as those were built with the LG battery pack. I suspect only recently built ones were built with the panasonic batteries in anticipation of the move, so right now, those are few and far between until manufacturing of them gets ramped up.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
View attachment 1057319
I’m about to pull the trigger on this. I’m suspecting once people find out about the 7.5K rebate the available ones will be gone and it’ll be the EDD game all over again.

Seeing as some people from January still don’t have their LRs I’m most likely going to cancel my order and get this now.

The really only thing I miss out on in the M3P is the speed. “Normal” mode should pull about the same as the trap speed is similar. Rest is all cons for the M3P in the Midwest.
I'm in the Cleveland area and I found the stock all seasons on my 2021 LR poor for winter driving so like most of my prior sport sedans have purchased a set of winter wheels/tires. So for me the summer tires didn't matter too much as no matter what I would have bought a winter set. The lower susepnsion however could be a negative.

Reactions: arkhos
I wonder if they did ever offer AB if it would be limited to the Panasonic battery builds. Maybe that's why they haven't offered it so far?
I was thinking this too, but my understanding from reading through these forums is that the LG battery can handle the AB since the same motors and batteries were used on the previous gen LR, albeit maxed out. I suspect Tesla was only waiting for the M3P to be released before offering it, much like how they did it the last time.

The LR I'm looking at is 3k cheaper than the M3P. I won't have to pay an extra 3k+ for a winter/rim setup. Tire swaps cost money twice a year to do for the next few years during the winter.

Also pick up would be this week. I'm most likely going to cancel the M3P order. Kinda glad I never got my VIN, this is a win-win in basically every aspect except speed.

Sure I’ll do that on my lunch break. The flaps are nice, went on in a couple of mins, and are more rubber than hard plastic, way better than other brands. They only overlap
The paint slightly, but creates a nice clean look. In fact I just ordered a set for my wife’s MYLR to replace hers.
Thanks for the info. Nice to see the picture and hear the feedback. Those were the ones I was eyeing. Had them in the wish list till I get a vin (waiting on blue too).

Found a few more January orders. Hopefully all those orders get pumped out for those people soon.

My wife is getting frustrated as I'm on 7 EDDs as of right now. We have a schedule change in August and will be away from home. She said there won't be any accommodations or any schedule changes to pick the car up. She's more pissed because she had a few co-workers slam tesla to her over the weekend on the quality, all the money they lost on the vehicle, and the random EDDs. She was pretty intense about it.

The customer service inconsistency from the SAs made it worse. She brought up how I was told three different delivery locations my car will be at and how I requested to a closer location and they said it was changed, but then a few weeks later a different SA told me they don't do deliveries at that location.

It looks like unless I get a VIN in June or early July, I probably won't be getting a Tesla and will be stuck with my current car...
My lady was so happy for me when I "Bought" my M3P despite her disdain for Elon and the car in general. She is smart enough to have seen me literally test drive every other competitor before coming to this conclusion and thus, she supported me 100%. She saw the value and even complimented the SA and the entire "Simple" process.

Skip ahead to 2 days later at dinner when she asks "When you picking your car up? Is it in transit?"

Me: "Uhhh no not this week." She then asks when and I answer July or August, no date yet. She looks at me CRAZY and says it's only June 10th right now?! LOL

"So you put down a deposit, you applied for, got approved and agreed to a loan, agreed to a trade in and all that other stuff and you have no car? Or a date?"

So what did you buy?

Me: "A dream" jokingly...LOL. She then asked did you call your agent and get insurance yet?, I answered no because I have no VIN, another death stare.

Her: "So you didnt really buy shi*, you did all that to wait in line and hope?"

Me: "Yes"

I have slept alone with my PS5 for the last week+since I did this, pray for me yall LOL

Last thing she said to me was enjoy watching your stupid Tesla videos(Its my first Tesla) hahaha

Last edited:
Are you guys really sure the reason for the tax credit change on the LR is because of a battery source change and not because of the requirements being loosened on certain materials used for the pack by the IRS?
All the inventory near me shows available for the tax credit. There is no date restriction on the fuel economy.gov site saying it has to have a certain battery.
All the news sources say it is because of the regulations changing. No mention of a different pack being used.

• Love
Reactions: SnipeAT
Are you guys really sure the reason for the tax credit change on the LR is because of a battery source change
Yes
and not because of the requirements being loosened on certain materials used for the pack by the IRS?
The IRS loosened a very small regulation about hard to trace graphite or something. Has nothing to do with the overall message of the tax credit
All the inventory near me shows available for the tax credit.
Plenty of inventory online showing not available also. Tesla has likely been making the car with the new cells for along time now and just was waiting to get the inventory out there.
There is no date restriction on the fuel economy.gov site saying it has to have a certain battery.
It says check with dealer actually for confirmation.
All the news sources say it is because of the regulations changing. No mention of a different pack being used.
“News sources” aka people who don’t know anything and just regurgitate what they read.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hebber and P-Lo801
Are you guys really sure the reason for the tax credit change on the LR is because of a battery source change and not because of the requirements being loosened on certain materials used for the pack by the IRS?
All the inventory near me shows available for the tax credit. There is no date restriction on the fuel economy.gov site saying it has to have a certain battery.
As long as I get the rebate. I need the car by August and had enough of the EDD games. This worked out perfectly for me.

My lady was so happy for me when I "Bought" my M3P despite her disdain for Elon and the car in general. She is smart enough to have seen me literally test drive every other competitor before coming to this conclusion and thus, she supported me 100%. She saw the value and even complimented the SA and the whole simple process.

Skip ahead to 2 days later at dinner when she asks "When you picking your car up? Is it in transit?"

Me: "Uhhh no not this week." She then asks when and I answer July or August, no date yet. She looks at me CRAZY LOL

"So you put down a deposit, you applied for, got approved and agreed to a loan, agreed to a trade in and all that other stuff and you have no car? Or a date?"

So what did you buy?

Me: "A dream" jokingly...LOL. She then asked did you call your agent and get insurance yet?, I answered no because I have no VIN, another death stare.

Her: "So you didnt really buy shi*, you did all that to wait in line and hope?"

Me: "Yes"

I have slept alone with my PS5 for the last week+since I did this, pray for me yall LOL

Last thing she said to me was enjoy watching your stupid Tesla videos(Its my first Tesla) hahaha
My wife hasn't gone off on me, but I also bought her a new Range Rover Velar before embarking on all this EDD madness. I sold my own car soon after ordering since I thought the M3P was imminent due to the early June EDD when I first ordered.

Getting her a new car allowed me to use her old car while she got to enjoy the new one. If I was borrowing her car, or bumming rides from her through all of this she would be reacting very differently.

As it stands, she just asks me once a week if I'm getting my car any time this year, watches me make a face, then chuckles to herself.

Did you actually click on a vehicle and see or just searching rebate eligible cars?

When I click on any of the 10 LR in my area on the inventory page each of them state only eligible for the EV lease or business rebate (implying not eligible for the individual federal rebate if not leasing)

There may have been newer ones that could have sold earlier today when this was first announced that had different wording.

Assuming this is the case they are going to need to come up with some great deals or lease offers to sell off the inventory ones with the LG batteries inside.

I'm positive they just loosened the regulations. It only applies to the MY, M3 LR, and M3 Performance. Notably, the M3 SR is still not tax credit eligible. Probably they are still negotiating those regulations with the Biden admin.