Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think your points are valid. BUT I would like to see both on a track in timed trials. Maybe Randy Probst. I think the M3P will beat the 5N's time as I don't see the M3P having any trouble beating a 5000 pound SUV, track focused or not.
I'd also add that the motors, tires, suspension, brakes and aerodynamics all changing means the vast majority of the car changed. 30 percent more power with drastically improved suspension that can hold curves much better is not "minor improvement".

The simulation features and ability to drift more easily are noteworthy but also a software thing mostly which can potentially change down stream. Track mode itself was also completely redone.

You aren't wrong but I personally don't care about battery deg, like at all. I lease my cars so I'll run this thing into the ground like my last one (charge to 100% etc.) But even if I owned this one, which I almost did, maybe I would think differently about that but I don't know.

I have this same philosophy in life on most things, to me its like buying an iPhone then slapping a case on it, apple spends billions in R&D trying to make this phone as thin and as strong as possible, then people throw all of that out of the window with a $15 dollar case made in China lol. ( I know this is a bad example as it actually protects your investment) but you get my point. Pretty much, lower range and battery deg is something I expect, otherwise I would have bought a long range..
I buy and I'm also not worried. I'm paying about as much extra for the car as what getting a complete additional battery pack would cost. I want to use the car I paid for, not act like it's a cheaper car to save less money than the extra I spent. Over the life of the battery the added cost is below minimal.

I never said the 5 N will be faster around a track, I gave the reasons why the 5 N is more track focused and engaging.
To each their own, buy what you want, but just because you like something doesn't mean it's better.
That's similar to what I say about the MachE gt. I would personally never get one over a performance model Tesla, but if someone wants a crazy powerful EV that feels like a gas car and doesn't prefer the simplicity and cleaness of an EV, then the MachE gt or 5N is a solid choice.

I just don't think I'd call it "track focused", more "I wish I had a muscle car" focused. (And that's a totally valid desire to have.) Having better performance regardless of "feel" is "track focused".

It's official! Picked up in Irvine CA this afternoon. Very smooth process, no issues. She's absolutely gorgeous as I thought when I first saw the same red/black M3P in Santa Monica weeks ago. Now, parked next to my still very nice looking '18 M3, it REALLY looks beautiful.

Not much to add after the short drive home except that it is a joy to drive and it seems like everything has been updated and improved in the six years since I picked up our first "Ruby" on 6/8/2018.

IMG_20240603_140553876.jpg

Range is a bigger down side than you might think. Lower range means you are using your battery faster (more) which equates to more battery degradation. It's just physics. You lose a tiny bit of capacity for each battery cycle and if you are returning home with less SOC and having to charge more because you are in insane mode, it means you are using a fraction more of a cycle on each trip. Which necessarily leads to faster degradation because those partial cycles add up.
I feel like we can easily resolve this/get a clear answer if someone who has taken delivery can simply post their "lifetime" (albeit a short lifetime) WH/Mile number from their screen. This would ideally be a mixture of driving (local, freeway, slow, fast, etc.) for 100 miles or so. That's all we need. Personally, if simply *being engaged in* Insane mode reduces range, then this is a disappointment---not a dealbreaker, but a disappointment nonetheless. Now I totally get it if the new rear motor, which has (on paper) 55 more HP, will reduce range if driven **fast**. That's to be expected. But this is not the same thing as simply driving conservatively in insane mode and getting less range than the outgoing M3P when driven in sport mode. Given that the old and new versions both have roughly the same stated range (300-ish), I was expecting the range to be roughly the same, all other things equal, when in "sport" (old model) and "insane" (new model). If the new model heats the battery or does something unique merely based on the fact that is is engaged in "insane" mode, then I don't think this is ideal.

For reference, my lifetime WH/mile is 285 on my old M3P in sport mode 100% of the time. Is anyone able to get under 300 (on the new model) with a mix of driving habits in insane mode full-time?

Like it or not the simulated gearshifts and fake engine sounds are there and provide some stimulation, many a jaded automotive journalists have said it actually does add to the experience of driving.
This is what irks me about these "automotive journalists"

First, allow me to clarify: i think offering fake engine sounds that are defeatable are a fantastic idea. You can turn them on and pick different engine sounds, great. Seems like a fun idea, and many enjoy it. More options for the consumer is never a bad thing. As long as they can be tuned off, I'm fine with it. One could make an argument that those sounds could partially add to the cost of the vehicle, i won't get into any of that conjecture.

My big issue with all of this is how these "automotive journalists" are saying in their reviews is that because the Hyundai offers these fake sounds and shifting in the IONIQ 5N and Tesla M3P doesn't offer this so they are going to rate the M3P DOWN compared to the IONIQ 5N? Really? I get that they like the experience it adds for THEM, but is this REALLY a knock against the M3P? IMO: hell no!

For me it's the same as If a reviewer says that the IONIQ 5N is a better car than the M3P cause it's offered in 9 colors and having more choices in a car color will allow you to enjoy the car more making the M3P a less enjoyable car, then that reviewer has their head up their %&$....

Just saw this video uploaded. It stated the car came with 4680 batteries.
Pretty sure they have LG 2170’s. (World) and Pano 2170’s (US).
Just for sanity this is correct right ?

I am virtually sure that you are correct, and that this car does not have 4680 batteries. Hopefully people in this thread dont rush to click the video and give whomever that is more views.

Just saw this video uploaded. It stated the car came with 4680 batteries.
Pretty sure they have LG 2170’s. (World) and Pano 2170’s (US).
Just for sanity this is correct right ?

That video seems pretty... terrible. Some of the info is just way off, and strangely, MOST of the pics are not even of the '24 M3P. It seems almost like some randomly-AI-generated click-bait.

Not sure on the battery claim, though, but based on the rest of the vid, I would not be surprised if it was wrong.
Edit: jjrandorin confirmed! :)

Not sure if anyone posted this already but looks like it is a <11 second car

I am a vinnner!
OD 4/24
White on White

It's official! Picked up in Irvine CA this afternoon. Very smooth process, no issues. She's absolutely gorgeous as I thought when I first saw the same red/black M3P in Santa Monica weeks ago. Now, parked next to my still very nice looking '18 M3, it REALLY looks beautiful.

Not much to add after the short drive home except that it is a joy to drive and it seems like everything has been updated and improved in the six years since I picked up our first "Ruby" on 6/8/2018.

View attachment 1053279

Reactions: kdub2020
This is what irks me about these "automotive journalists"

First, allow me to clarify: i think offering fake engine sounds that are defeatable are a fantastic idea. You can turn them on and pick different engine sounds, great. Seems like a fun idea, and many enjoy it. More options for the consumer is never a bad thing. As long as they can be tuned off, I'm fine with it. One could make an argument that those sounds could partially add to the cost of the vehicle, i won't get into any of that conjecture.

My big issue with all of this is how these "automotive journalists" are saying in their reviews is that because the Hyundai offers these fake sounds and shifting in the IONIQ 5N and Tesla M3P doesn't offer this so they are going to rate the M3P DOWN compared to the IONIQ 5N? Really? I get that they like the experience it adds for THEM, but is this REALLY a knock against the M3P? IMO: hell no!

For me it's the same as If a reviewer says that the IONIQ 5N is a better car than the M3P cause it's offered in 9 colors and having more choices in a car color will allow you to enjoy the car more making the M3P a less enjoyable car, then that reviewer has their head up their %&$....
I don't get it at all, and I have a feeling that if things were reversed and automobiles were transitioning from EVs to ICEs, reviewers would be rating down the ICEs because they're not as quiet as the EVs. They'd be asking for more sound-proofing. People just don't like change and are threatened by new technology. Unless there's some reason why you NEED to hear the engine/motor (which isn't a thing with an EV), quieter is CLEARLY better. People only like the noise because they're used to it and it's nostalgic for them... not because it's "better."

I never said the 5 N will be faster around a track, I gave the reasons why the 5 N is more track focused and engaging.
To each their own, buy what you want, but just because you like something doesn't mean it's better.
It is slower in everything and what you are calling engaging is just simply slowing the car down for no good reason at all.

Ignore EDD until you get a VIN. It means nothing. You will get your car in june.

View attachment 1053279
@StaceyR and other Cali folks.. just noticed.. full plates when you pick it up?? Are temp tags not a thing in Cali?

I feel like we can easily resolve this/get a clear answer if someone who has taken delivery can simply post their "lifetime" (albeit a short lifetime) WH/Mile number from their screen. This would ideally be a mixture of driving (local, freeway, slow, fast, etc.) for 100 miles or so. That's all we need. Personally, if simply *being engaged in* Insane mode reduces range, then this is a disappointment---not a dealbreaker, but a disappointment nonetheless. Now I totally get it if the new rear motor, which has (on paper) 55 more HP, will reduce range if driven **fast**. That's to be expected. But this is not the same thing as simply driving conservatively in insane mode and getting less range than the outgoing M3P when driven in sport mode. Given that the old and new versions both have roughly the same stated range (300-ish), I was expecting the range to be roughly the same, all other things equal, when in "sport" (old model) and "insane" (new model). If the new model heats the battery or does something unique merely based on the fact that is is engaged in "insane" mode, then I don't think this is ideal.

For reference, my lifetime WH/mile is 285 on my old M3P in sport mode 100% of the time. Is anyone able to get under 300 (on the new model) with a mix of driving habits in insane mode full-time?
I will run it on my 25 mile loop test in all 3 modes. Plus I can see in realtime what power it is pulling for each of the systems with the Teslogic device. That can show me instantly what the differences are.

IMG_6253.png