Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heating the battery for optimal acceleration even on a 95+ degree F day takes a tremendous amount of energy. When you put it in Insane Mode it will heat the battery and use up WAY more energy than the other two modes. I will demonstrate this when I get my car.
Yeah I wonder what the real world numbers are on this, im too lazy to test this or take it off insane lol, so far the range feels the same as my 2020 M3P so if it can get even better on standard then im down, for the longer trips

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Ack! Mistyped delivery date window, which is actually June 16-June 23. I am not taking a 5+ week vacation.

But thanks for the advice. My tesla rep actually contacted me this morning and said they can put my order on hold until after I return.
Does this mean they will hold a VIN for two weeks? Or just hold the order and assign a different VIN after 2 weeks?

Reactions: JG Collins
Heating the battery for optimal acceleration even on a 95+ degree F day takes a tremendous amount of energy. When you put it in Insane Mode it will heat the battery and use up WAY more energy than the other two modes. I will demonstrate this when I get my car.
are there any others downsides aside from range from keeping it insane? i guess you use more charge cycles and that may degrade it quicker... 🤔

I'll use it as a daily commuter (~30 miles per day) and have a MY LR for road trips, so range is not a concern for me -- but unused performance is 😁

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
are there any others downsides aside from range from keeping it insane? i guess you use more charge cycles and that may degrade it quicker... 🤔

I'll use it as a daily commuter (~30 miles per day) and have a MY LR for road trips, so range is not a concern for me -- but unused performance is 😁
It doesn't seem like there are any downsides other than range which yeah, if charging daily, who cares. Go insane

brown streaks in the seats

That's what I wonder. But I'm hoping you are wrong. It's possible that it only heats the battery in cooler temperatures to prevent a significant performance loss. It could also mean it keeps the battery really warm all the time (like preheating for supercharging). Or anything in between. I would hope it'd only constantly heat the battery if you are in insane mode AND in track mode. If not, in a future update they really need to have a separate checkbox (switch) for "Peak performance" under insane. That way at least you could leave it in insane without heating the battery but you'd at least get all the power available at the current battery temp, whatever that may be.
IIRC, one of the recent review videos mentioned how you immediately hear the battery fan going (heating, presumably) when you get into track mode; but no mention on this (from anyone) on insane

Reactions: JG Collins
Ack! Mistyped delivery date window, which is actually June 16-June 23. I am not taking a 5+ week vacation.

But thanks for the advice. My tesla rep actually contacted me this morning and said they can put my order on hold until after I return.
Did you ask them specifically if that holds your existing VIN, or if it just holds your order and they will take your vin and assign it to someone else?

out of curiosity, why does the paperwork need to be adjusted if more than 15? does it affect a future sale or insurance?

thanks for clarifying!
I'm just guessing, but I don't think it matters, at all. More for tesla to track probably so they know what their cars are doing after being produced. It wouldn't effect anything like insurance or resale later.

out of curiosity, why does the paperwork need to be adjusted if more than 15? does it affect a future sale or insurance?

thanks for clarifying!

I think (but am not 100% sure, only like 95+% sure) that the specific document in question is a legal declaration document, with the intent to verify that the new purchaser is aware of how many miles are stated to be on the car. This helps combat things like odometer rollbacks etc, where the buyer could go back to the seller and say "see you told me this car had XXX miles on it but it had YYY" if that was an issue.

Obviously odometer rollbacks and such are not a concern with a brand new car, but I believe that is the purpose of that document.

EDIT: I just looked at my purchase paperwork from my 2022 Model Y. The Odometer reading is in there in at least 2 places that I saw (I stopped looking when I found what I was looking for). On the MVPA it just has a number (15 in this case). There is a second document that is the vehicle transfer of ownership document, where the odometer reading is also there (also 15) and its this place where what I said above is relevant. It says something like "to the best of my knowledge, this odometer reading is accurate... blah blah).

It wouldnt matter on the MVPA itself but it would look extremely strange to a buyer if the Odometer field on the MVPA doesnt match the Odometer field on this other document (which I am looking at right now for my 2022 Model Y purchase, titled "Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment form".

Perhaps this is a CA specific process? Not sure on this.

It doesn't seem like there are any downsides other than range which yeah, if charging daily, who cares. Go insane

Range is a bigger down side than you might think. Lower range means you are using your battery faster (more) which equates to more battery degradation. It's just physics. You lose a tiny bit of capacity for each battery cycle and if you are returning home with less SOC and having to charge more because you are in insane mode, it means you are using a fraction more of a cycle on each trip. Which necessarily leads to faster degradation because those partial cycles add up.

Range is a bigger down side than you might think. Lower range means you are using your battery faster (more) which equates to more battery degradation. It's just physics. You lose a tiny bit of capacity for each battery cycle and if you are returning home with less SOC and having to charge more because you are in insane mode, it means you are using a fraction more of a cycle on each trip. Which necessarily leads to faster degradation because those partial cycles add up.
You aren't wrong but I personally don't care about battery deg, like at all. I lease my cars so I'll run this thing into the ground like my last one (charge to 100% etc.) But even if I owned this one, which I almost did, maybe I would think differently about that but I don't know.

I have this same philosophy in life on most things, to me its like buying an iPhone then slapping a case on it, apple spends billions in R&D trying to make this phone as thin and as strong as possible, then people throw all of that out of the window with a $15 dollar case made in China lol. ( I know this is a bad example as it actually protects your investment) but you get my point. Pretty much, lower range and battery deg is something I expect, otherwise I would have bought a long range..

You aren't wrong but I personally don't care about battery deg, like at all. I lease my cars so I'll run this thing into the ground like my last one (charge to 100% etc.) But even if I owned this one, which I almost did, maybe I would think differently about that but I don't know.

I have this same philosophy in life on most things, to me its like buying an iPhone then slapping a case on it, apple spends billions in R&D trying to make this phone as thin and as strong as possible, then people throw all of that out of the window with a $15 dollar case made in China lol. ( I know this is a bad example as it actually protects your investment) but you get my point. Pretty much, lower range and battery deg is something I expect, otherwise I would have bought a long range..

Nothing wrong with that logic either. Respect.

I may do this as it would seem more convenient than having to go into an app every time to operate the garage door. But for me i like the clean simple interior look without it so I'll probably take the clip off of it then double sided tape it to the back of the screen so it's easy access to operate and invisible to anyone else. I'll pick a spot where you wouldn't see it from the outside of the car looking through the windshield.
That's exactly what I (and others) did. I know where it is by feel but it's invisible to everyone else. Suggest using strong velcro instead of DS tape as you will need to remove to replace batteries occasionally.

That's exactly what I (and others) did. I know where it is by feel but it's invisible to everyone else. Suggest using strong velcro instead of DS tape as you will need to remove to replace batteries occasionally.
wait, this is genius, I am prob too used to reaching up to hit the button but might have to try a behind the screen move