Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@StaceyR and other Cali folks.. just noticed.. full plates when you pick it up?? Are temp tags not a thing in Cali?
In CA a few years ago they instituted temp assigned plates because when you left the lot with a new car, it was just an advertisement plate on the back with the temp registration paperwork taped to the front windshield.
I'm not sure why this happened, my guess is for identification reasons. I also remember a story about how some people could stay anonymous doing this. Google: "Steve Jobs Plate loophole" and see the jist of it.

The
The MP3 is mostly the same as last year with slight changes; more power, adaptive suspension, the new seats and wheels and tires are really the only differences. I'm not saying the M3P is a bad car or the Hyundai is better, but the fact is the 5 N is more track focused and has features to get you more driving engagement compared to the Model 3.
The 5 N has hardware and software that the M3P does not have. The. 5N has a dedicated launch mode, a more comprehensive drift mode, it has a simulated clutch kick to get the rear end out, a mechanical E-LSD, a system that calculates the battery's state of charge per lap on track, an endurance mode for track days and a sprint mode to give one fast lap. Like it or not the simulated gearshifts and fake engine sounds are there and provide some stimulation, many a jaded automotive journalists have said it actually does add to the experience of driving. There are buttons on the steering wheel to provide quick access to track modes and shift paddles, different gauge setups.
The low 220 mile range is proof that it is a more focused car. Yes it's more expensive but you get more for your money. Yes it's heavier but you get 641 horsepower which makes acceleration a wash between the two cars, and the Ioniq 5 N is actually considered an SUV with a hatch so more useable space.
None of this makes the M3P a bad car, I have a reservation for one. I think the small changes to the M3P make it a compelling proposition, especially for under $50k. I think it offers more value than the 5 N, also the range and the supposedly more comfortable ride makes the M3P a better commuter which matters to me.
View attachment 1053233
View attachment 1053236
Hyundai is hideous. Your post reminds me of the scene in Monty Python Life of Brian where they’re debating what the Romans have ever done.

The New M3P is mostly the same as last year

Except for the improved rear motor that will give it more than good 0-60, but aside from that it’s mostly the same

Except for the lighter forged wheels with less unsprung mass that will make it quicker and more responsive in corners, but aside from that it’s mostly the same.

Except for a much needed and impressive adaptive suspension that will greatly help it perform both on a track as well as a daily, but aside from that it’s mostly the same

Oh and the re-design with aero vents to help cool brakes, an improved front that will help create more downforce, an upgraded rear spoiler and diffuser that also help aero, but aside from that it’s mostly the same

And ventilated sport seats, that will provide more support and lateral stability with side bolsters to facilitate more spirited driving, but aside from that it’s mostly the same

I got my M3P for $45k as well which IIRC is $20k less

@StaceyR and other Cali folks.. just noticed.. full plates when you pick it up?? Are temp tags not a thing in Cali?
They definitely are a thing. Actually, the picture in @StaceyR 's post of a 2024 Model 3 performance has a Cali temp tag on it. They are paper license plate looking things.

Reactions: Andrés Ornelas
Day 2: putting that 510 HP and 546 lb-feet of torque to good use.

IMG_1868.jpeg

In CA a few years ago they instituted temp assigned plates because when you left the lot with a new car, it was just an advertisement plate on the back with the temp registration paperwork taped to the front windshield.
I'm not sure why this happened, my guess is for identification reasons. I also remember a story about how some people could stay anonymous doing this. Google: "Steve Jobs Plate loophole" and see the jist of it.

I was friends with a BMW salesperson (who became a BMW sales manager at one point) who told me that he rolled around in Cali on the dealer advertisement plate for like 10 years. Cant get a camera speeding ticket if your car doesnt have easily identifiable plates.

I really detest advertising, so I always made them take off the "Dealer so and so" license plate frames, and the paper dealer advertising etc. I once refused to buy a car from a used car lot because the car came from some out of state dealer who had put a physical badge on the car and I didnt know at the time that you could probably easily get it off with a hair dryer and fishing line.

Anyway, The first time I asked this salesperson to "please get that dealer advertising license holder and plate off the car while they are detailing it", he was surprised and told me about "the loophole". I didnt really care but yeah I have heard about it a while ago. Glad they have actual temp plates now that have some sort of identifying stuff on them.

Reactions: jv92red
I was friends with a BMW salesperson (who became a BMW sales manager at one point) who told me that he rolled around in Cali on the dealer advertisement plate for like 10 years. Cant get a camera speeding ticket if your car doesnt have easily identifiable plates.

I really detest advertising, so I always made them take off the "Dealer so and so" license plate frames, and the paper dealer advertising etc. I once refused to buy a car from a used car lot because the car came from some out of state dealer who had put a physical badge on the car and I didnt know at the time that you could probably easily get it off with a hair dryer and fishing line.

Anyway, The first time I asked this salesperson to "please get that dealer advertising license holder and plate off the car while they are detailing it", he was surprised and told me about "the loophole". I didnt really care but yeah I have heard about it a while ago. Glad they have actual temp plates now that have some sort of identifying stuff on them.
The real controversy for us in CA is: what will we do once we get the plates. Since CA vehicle code (5200 through 5206) states both front and rear are required, will people go without the front one cause they hate the look? After i got a fix it ticket for it, rather than switch to drilling into my bumper, there are other solutions that skirt around the law a bit. On my previous BMW's i had custom euro plates made with the correct license number, affixed using high strength 3M automotive double sided trim tape. The more narrow line euro plate looked better than the square one IMO. And it follows the letter of the law and i never did get pulled over with the euro plates on...
20190217_170026.jpg

Last edited:

you might aswell mod for bimmerpost too

• Funny
Reactions: P-Lo801 and jv92red
Took delivery of my UR/White today around 7pm (45 min late). Overall impressions are what everyone has said. Only noticeable problems are the roof seal has a piece sticking out, the alignment pulling to the right, and the steering wheel is slightly off-center. Already put in the service request. Will update with pics after tinting tomorrow.

Took delivery of my UR/White today around 7pm (45 min late). Overall impressions are what everyone has said. Only noticeable problems are the roof seal has a piece sticking out, the alignment pulling to the right, and the steering wheel is slightly off-center. Already put in the service request. Will update with pics after tinting tomorrow.
I had an ex wife who wouldn't accept that any car drove straight or the wheel was centered ever. I'm not saying it's in your head, at all.