Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a photo from delivery! Seems like this location was very busy, as I was waiting for a while.

Didn't see too many issues, except for some scratches in the clear-coat around the rear spoiler that they were able to buff out. Then there was a somewhat deeper scratch on the trunk. You could feel it with your finger. Around the front headlight there were two tiny bumps/spots on the paint like a speck of something got under it. We made note of those issues and I've already scheduled service. One other thing is that I heard it making odd squeaking noises once I got home and stepped out. Kinda sounded like bats. I know my Model 3 before never made those noises when it was cooling down. Has anyone else had theirs do this?

Aside from that, I love this thing. It has a firmer, yet smoother ride than my outgoing Long Range thanks to the active suspension, if that makes sense. The interior is so much nicer with the ambient lights and rear screen, and the bucket seats are fantastic. I'll have to work on not catching the bolstering when I get in/out. I do still find myself reaching for the indicator stalk but I'll overcome that soon enough. From a standstill it really punches you. I've launched a Plaid before, which is kinda like tasting forbidden fruit in that it changes your definition of acceleration, but make no mistake, the Model 3 Performance is still crazy. It's ludicrous, even.

photo_2024-06-08_22-10-27.jpg

Last edited:
Is this orange peel paint something people are typically asking them to fix? Or do you just deal w/ it?

The paint shop is one of the most complex and expensive steps in car manufacturing. It requires a highly controlled environment and lots of precision. Elon is happy to paint cars in the dusty outdoors under a tarp. Tesla may be leader in EV powertrains and software but you have to lower your expectations when it comes to paint particularly cars coming out of Fremont. Beyond just orange peel the paint uniformity is all over the map. It's "within spec" for tarp standards. Just be glad you don't have human hairs embedded in the primer.

The paint shop is one of the most complex and expensive steps in car manufacturing. It requires a highly controlled environment and lots of precision. Elon is happy to paint cars in the dusty outdoors under a tarp. Tesla may be leader in EV powertrains and software but you have to lower your expectations when it comes to paint particularly cars coming out of Fremont. Beyond just orange peel the paint uniformity is all over the map. It's "within spec" for tarp standards. Just be glad you don't have human hairs embedded in the primer.
Depicting Tesla’s paint quality as being on par with dusty outdoor tarp standards, seems a little dramatic. ;)

They are teasing me. I got a text yesterday afternoon asking if I wanted to take delivery earlier than my scheduled appointment on 6/10 and if I reply yes they’ll call me to discuss options this weekend.

No call and my location is closed on Sundays. But can’t complain too much since I still am on for Monday but got super excited at the chance of picking up today

• Love
Reactions: Sandee3
Day 1 order first half hour. Picking up my SG/Black tomorrow at 4pm. Originally scheduled for Monday but I went in to SC to see if they could get me in earlier and that’s the best they could do. I want a little time with it before I start my work week again. My tint guy may come to my job and install Monday. Stealth PPF scheduled for the following Monday. I’ve been watching this car when it was just a rumor daily so it does feel like forever that I’ve been waiting. I hope I sleep well tonight.
Looking foward to seeing pictures of the stealth grey with stealth ppf. Have only seen the two further back in this post so far

Reactions: StealthedLuda
Depicting Tesla’s paint quality as being on par with dusty outdoor tarp standards, seems a little dramatic. ;)

Yes, it’s hyperbole but not inaccurate. You generally don’t want your controlled manufacturing environment to have “a great view of the mountains.”

Yes, it’s hyperbole but not inaccurate. You generally don’t want your controlled manufacturing environment to have “a great view of the mountains.”

You may not, but I do. The last thing I want is a Chinese made Tesla. I'm happy with the Fremont product. The rumors are just that. Facts rise up just like the numbers that are coming for the LG powered cars.

You may not, but I do. The last thing I want is a Chinese made Tesla. I'm happy with the Fremont product. The rumors are just that. Facts rise up just like the numbers that are coming for the LG powered cars.

This article describes some issues you encounter with tented GA4, one of the M3 assembly lines, which is open to the outdoors (see "Exposed to the elements," bottom third of article).

• Disagree
Reactions: AtlantaP3D
This article describes some issues you encounter with tented GA4, one of the M3 assembly lines, which is open to the outdoors (see "Exposed to the elements," bottom third of article).

These are all old articles and videos from 4-5 years ago. That makes it irrelevant, and puts this in the same direction and level as a typical media smear campaign. Why would you bring a smear campaign into this thread. A little orange peel paint has nothing to do with the early production woes Tesla did to stay alive.
Almost every car maker from high end to low end has defects. Ask any detailer.

These are all old articles and videos from 4-5 years ago. That makes it irrelevant, and puts this in the same direction and level as a typical media smear campaign. Why would you bring a smear campaign into this thread. A little orange peel paint has nothing to do with the early production woes Tesla did to stay alive.
Almost every car maker from high end to low end has defects. Ask any detailer.
My Audi RS3 needed a full stage 1 correction. I waited 6months for it, if I rejected the car it meant waiting another 6 months.

Tesla is no better or worse than any other large manufacturer when it comes to fit and finish these days. Ie Mostly great, some good, with a few issues here and there.

Looking foward to seeing pictures of the stealth grey with stealth ppf. Have only seen the two further back in this post so far
Mine is currently at the shop, will be done on Thursday. It was tough having only the drive home and the drive to the shop the next morning. Just can’t risk it with the quality of roads around me.

Can’t wait for my second delivery day 😂

My Audi RS3 needed a full stage 1 correction. I waited 6months for it, if I rejected the car it meant waiting another 6 months.

Tesla is no better or worse than any other large manufacturer when it comes to fit and finish these days. Ie Mostly great, some good, with a few issues here and there.
Most new cars should receive at least a stage 1 correction but this level of detail wont address orange peel.

• Informative
Reactions: Andrés Ornelas

Attachments

• IMG_1671.jpeg
    IMG_1671.jpeg
    831 KB · Views: 4