Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 performance new 18 inch wheel option now avail 7/15/19

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure they will as long as you have the same total wheel/tire diameter.

From context (going back a couple posts) I think this was a comment about Performance wheels?
The record is pretty mixed on the Roadside Assistance having 20” Performance wheels available. And I am not sure they would be able to do anything for someone with aftermarket wheels which are likely slightly different diameter. They just won’t have anything with the right offset and diameter and compatible with the lip, except a 20”, so then diameter comes into play. I have not actually even heard a story about someone getting one of these 20” loaner wheels roadside. Would be interesting to hear about it, if it is has happened. Would provide me some peace of mind, although I have 18” for long road trips now. Which would pose problems for Roadside Assistance if I were to damage one, since they definitely wouldn’t have a spare with identical diameter to my 18” aftermarket wheels - the 20” are about 0.5% wider diameter. Not sure how much is acceptable. I’d probably carry a spare for such trips anyway.

Be aware the Model 3 Performance with the red caliper performance brakes has a 3mm lip on the edge of the hub. The rims may need to be machined in order to sit flush.

thanks for responding. Too bad, there are no clear answers to this. This means it could be a problem with Tesla roadside service if they bring out a standard 19 inch wheel for a flat, etc.

I also picked up my new model 3 stealth today, but I am not seeing track mode. When I left, the service center man said the software would update overnight?
My question is, all of the “about my tesla” info doesn’t say anything about the performance software currently. Is there a way to actually verify you have it without timing your 0-60?
Apologies if anyone else has asked, but can you please take before and after photos of this, especially the red underline on screen so we can finally put this one to bed.

He might mean the performance software will be installed overnight. When you get the Performance software installed, you will know it because the "Dual Motor" on the main screen will have a red line under it.

Last edited:
I have not actually even heard a story about someone getting one of these 20” loaner wheels roadside.
Would be interesting to hear about it, if it is has happened.

Would provide me some peace of mind, although I have 18” for long road trips now.
Which would pose problems for Roadside Assistance if I were to damage one,
since they definitely wouldn’t have a spare with identical diameter to my 18” aftermarket wheels
- the 20” are about 0.5% wider diameter.
Not sure how much is acceptable. I’d probably carry a spare for such trips anyway.
It would be interesting to know if a standard Tesla 18" wheel could be used on the front axial of a Model 3 Performance?

It would be interesting to know if a standard Tesla 18" wheel could be used on the front axial of a Model 3 Performance?

No, it can’t. The offset is incorrect, it has not been milled for the lip, so won’t sit flush (deal breaker) and the brake caliper clearance is less than 1mm.

This reminds me, I should probably add a set of 5mm spacers to my roadside kit. At least Tesla could bring me a 19” wheel then. They wouldn’t though, probably.

This is also new finding.
On the tesla site it shows the 18 inch Performance wheel package coming with:
Includes:
• 4 x 18X8.5J Aero wheels
• 4 x 235/45/18 – MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4 tires
• 4 x tire pressure sensors
• 4 x Tesla logo Aero wheel caps

Now what we dont know is if the cars are coming equipt with this from the factory when selecting the 18 in or if this an accessory package? This also poses a concern if your ordering a P3D- and live in the cold temps as these are summer tires only and one who orders would need to buy all seasons or snows.

Model 3 18” Aero Wheel and Summer Tire Package

Some who has one of these P3D- cars PLEASE post some pics of your sticker and vehicle and shed some light on all of this!!!

Last edited:
This is also new finding.
On the tesla site it shows the 18 inch Performance wheel package coming with:
Includes:
• 4 x 18X8.5J Aero wheels
• 4 x 235/45/18 – MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4 tires
• 4 x tire pressure sensors
• 4 x Tesla logo Aero wheel caps

Now what we dont know is if the cars are coming equipt with this from the factory when selecting the 18 in or if this an accessory package? This also poses a concern if your ordering a P3D- and live in the cold temps as these are summer tires only and one who orders would need to buy all seasons or snows.

Some who has one of these P3D- cars PLEASE post some pics of your sticker and vehicle and shed some light on all of this!!!

Here are mine:
A33F25C3-1A24-4AA7-9C0F-13E6F75FBA8C.jpeg

E5406473-243E-45BD-B8E9-BE5BDD0A7DFA.jpeg

3D03A078-5CB1-42B5-A04F-87024F94002A.jpeg

43FB6510-4F5D-4AC5-8C3D-0C3B219C6237.jpeg

A738B21A-AC43-4523-883E-697B26F91116.jpeg

E5406473-243E-45BD-B8E9-BE5BDD0A7DFA.jpeg

3D03A078-5CB1-42B5-A04F-87024F94002A.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you for posting your pics and info.
I now believe aliens do exist and there is no need to raid area 51 ;)

Glad to help out. :) When I called to order this, there were so many to choose from at least in my area here in San Diego (from various CA locations they could ship it from). I basically had multiple choices in each color to choose from. So it sounds like they have quite a few available right now (unless they're selling a lot of them which I wouldn't be surprised)

You are in the right spot.

Now we need to figure out about the link I posted above if remaining units will come with the
18" performance tire upgrade. I am very surprised about the speed limit rating being 162 on MXM4 T/O tires
Top speed rated at 168 vs the upgraded tire package and std on the P3D+ to 186+ mph rating.

It also looks like the the tire listed on Tirerack.com is a direct replacement Tesla OEM tire with acoustic
properties. 235/45/18.
Is this going to be the new std tire package for the P3D- ????