Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 performance new 18 inch wheel option now avail 7/15/19

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: MagnusMako
You are in the right spot.

Now we need to figure out about the link I posted above if remaining units will come with the
18" performance tire upgrade. I am very surprised about the speed limit rating being 162 on MXM4 T/O tires
Top speed rated at 168 vs the upgraded tire package and std on the P3D+ to 186+ mph rating.

It also looks like the the tire listed on Tirerack.com is a direct replacement Tesla OEM tire with acoustic
properties. 235/45/18.
Is this going to be the new std tire package for the P3D- ????

Model 3 18” Aero Wheel and Summer Tire Package
I think it's almost a guarantee that the P3D- in inventory right now are unlocked LR AWD models. The speed with which they flooded the inventory after the price announcement suggests that's the most likely answer.

So as far as tires go, I think you're going to see the same 3 options (as far as I know, it's been two Michelin models and a Continental that have been delivered on the LR AWD vehicles, someone correct me if I'm wrong). I think their summer accessory package is a complete separate offering with summer specific tires.

Thats awesome! If you dont mind, can you check what rear inverter your car has?
Just stick your phone behind the drivers side rear wheel, on the lower left corner and take some photos with flash. Really interested :rolleyes:

@derekmw

Yes, if you do this, please post or reference your post in this thread as well:

Model 3 Motors on the Tesla Parts Catalog

This link is to a sample picture. You need to get above the flexible shield with your phone camera. Reach around and behind and above the front of the driver's side rear wheel. Lots of light and a steady hand are helpful.

Congrats on the car. Great deal.

Reactions: MagnusMako
@derekmw

Yes, if you do this, please post or reference your post in this thread as well:

Model 3 Motors on the Tesla Parts Catalog

This link is to a sample picture. You need to get above the flexible shield with your phone camera. Reach around and behind and above the front of the driver's side rear wheel. Lots of light and a steady hand are helpful.

Congrats on the car. Great deal.

Thanks. I really felt like it was a deal I should jump on. Here is the best shot I was able to take:

ACAF359E-F466-4194-AB11-8D5233467CB7.jpeg

You are in the right spot.

Now we need to figure out about the link I posted above if remaining units will come with the
18" performance tire upgrade.

Why would they? Every 18" factory car delivered in the US, ever, has come with the MXM4s, including every P3D-

Y
I am very surprised about the speed limit rating being 162 on MXM4 T/O tires
Top speed rated at 168 vs the upgraded tire package and std on the P3D+ to 186+ mph rating.

Again unsure why this is surprising- all the previous P3D- cars got the 162 update with the MXM4s on em from the factory.

that's an aftermarket add- not a factory tire.

Tesla hates complexity in MFG- and putting yet another possible wheel/tire combo into the process mucks that up.

Same reason the winter tire packages are only sold after the fact and not included on any factory car.

that's an aftermarket add- not a factory tire.

Tesla hates complexity in MFG- and putting yet another possible wheel/tire combo into the process mucks that up.
I think the Pilot Sport 4 is standard in Europe and they're Tesla specific with the acoustic foam. Not sure if it's a seasonal thing. They're like you over there, they don't believe in all-season tires :p

I would think the veh mfg would have to allow some leeway between the vehicle top speed and the top speed of the tires before failure hence why the actual p3d+ model has higher speed rated tires vs the p3d- car however they both have the same speed limit rating (162 mph).
Because the veh is rated to 162 mph and the tire is rated to 168 mph im not sure what the mfg +- requirements are even if there is any.
That's all im saying.

I would think the veh mfg would have to allow some leeway between the vehicle top speed and the top speed of the tires before failure hence why the actual p3d+ model has higher speed rated tires vs the p3d- car however they both have the same speed limit rating (162 mph).
Because the veh is rated to 162 mph and the tire is rated to 168 mph im not sure what the mfg +- requirements are even if there is any.
That's all im saying.

Tire speed rating is the speed the tire can maintain safely.

168 is higher than 162, so no issue. Not to mention it's not like the car can maintain 162 for hours at a time anyway.

Reactions: Schroeder0202
I received my $49,990 stealth performance model 3 on Saturday, 7/2019 build sticker on the b-pillar, MXM4 tires, 162 mph top speed in recent changes list.

I got one question for others who got this new inventory-only car: have you received an update yet? I'm on wifi at home every night, and I'm still suck on 2019.15.104.1.

Reactions: Phlier and Scott7
It’s not interesting, lol. It’s the rear unit. Not the front unit. See my above post.
Ah, I didn't noticed he listed Front
I received my $49,990 stealth performance model 3 on Saturday, 7/2019 build sticker on the b-pillar, MXM4 tires, 162 mph top speed in recent changes list.

I got one question for others who got this new inventory-only car: have you received an update yet? I'm on wifi at home every night, and I'm still suck on 2019.15.104.1.

I'm on the same as you. I was a bit surprised that they didn't have it updated to latest when I picked it up.