Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cell Phone Holder for Car, Car Phone Mounts for iPhone 7 Plus, Dashboard GPS Holder Mounting in Vehicle for Samsung Galaxy S8, and other 3-6.8 Inch Universal Smartphones and GPS - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N210GDQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_HKfdAbRPEA5ET

Cell Phone Holder for Car, Dashboard GPS Holder Mounting in Vehicle for Cell Phone $7.99 11-13-2017

Stumbled across this and thought I'd share for anyone interested.

This seems like a good solution for a phone holder in a model 3 without needing air vents, USB ports or damaging the dashboard or windshield. Perhaps it could be placed directly in front of the driver, sort of like a HUD

Why in the world didn’t Tesla just do wireless phone charging?

Umm, cause the cord is the only thing holding the phone in place when you go around corners?

I have yet to try to install a phone in the holder, I saw a YouTube video where Brian Thompson (from Star Trek) was unable to put his Samsung Galaxy into the stock holders and so just ran a cable directly from the phone to the USB ports.

71LIQLv417L._SL1100_.jpg

Seems you could do the same thing with those case free wireless chargers on Amazon and mount it behind the phone stands in the car. I think you would need a strategically placed magnet to hold the phone going around those corners I spoke of.

Is wireless charging fast enough to keep up with running Waze on the phone? I have gotten from SF to LA and found my phone dead when I pulled it off charge, the GPS is just too power hungry.

-Randy

Last edited:
Hey Randy, I was actually able to drive a Model 3 this past weekend, and I can now tell you first hand that it's not without a little getting used to placing your phone in the charging dock. I have an iPhone and at first I thought I had to take my case off every time to plug the darn thing in. Then, after playing with it a bit, I found it was just an angle issue and I was able to connect my phone with the case on fairly easily. The backing is nice and tacky where you place the phone but I could see it sliding a bit if not connected to the cable. You would have to be taking those turns pretty fast though to have the phone fly into the passenger seat! :)

It still seems to me like a better solution to get in the car and just drop your phone there, allowing it to charge wirelessly. However, I'm sure there's more to it and something I'm missing. Tesla obviously had its reasons.

At the end of the day it really doesn't matter. All I was thinking about was the driving experience. Zippy, sporty, and just flat out fun to drive! Can't wait until May-June when I finally receive mine! Woohoo!!

Hey Randy, I was actually able to drive a Model 3 this past weekend, and I can now tell you first hand that it's not without a little getting used to placing your phone in the charging dock. I have an iPhone and at first I thought I had to take my case off every time to plug the darn thing in. Then, after playing with it a bit, I found it was just an angle issue and I was able to connect my phone with the case on fairly easily. The backing is nice and tacky where you place the phone but I could see it sliding a bit if not connected to the cable. You would have to be taking those turns pretty fast though to have the phone fly into the passenger seat! :)

It still seems to me like a better solution to get in the car and just drop your phone there, allowing it to charge wirelessly. However, I'm sure there's more to it and something I'm missing. Tesla obviously had its reasons.

At the end of the day it really doesn't matter. All I was thinking about was the driving experience. Zippy, sporty, and just flat out fun to drive! Can't wait until May-June when I finally receive mine! Woohoo!!
Is the phone dock in a good location for viewing Waze on your phone? I would think the ideal location would be up on the dash behind the steering wheel. Maybe Tesla embedded a magnet up there so we can attach our phones to the invisible magnet when we need to. A magnet right above the vent would be perfect.

If Tesla’s navigation was as good as Waze, that would be even more perfect. Although the way the nav is implemented on the horizontal touchscreen doesn’t look to be ideal, but I haven’t tried it yet, so I don’t know.

FC2270B5-F30A-4D41-9179-3852A43E2FD3.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: VQTRVA
I currently use a ProClip USA dock, so I emailed them about a mount for the M3, and they said depending on availability in the showroom, they could have one available in a few months, but this was back in October, and since there's still no showroom availability (except for a couple stores), so I wouldn't expect one for a little while longer.

The thing I like about their docks is they seem to position them in an ideal location to be able to see (and use) your phone, but also have an integrated look. I've used their docks for a number of years and would highly recommend them!

ProClip USA | Car Phone Holders and Dashboard Phone Mounts

Are you cur
I currently use a ProClip USA dock, so I emailed them about a mount for the M3, and they said depending on availability in the showroom, they could have one available in a few months, but this was back in October, and since there's still no showroom availability (except for a couple stores), so I wouldn't expect one for a little while longer.

The thing I like about their docks is they seem to position them in an ideal location to be able to see (and use) your phone, but also have an integrated look. I've used their docks for a number of years and would highly recommend them!

Are you currently using a ProClip mount in your M3? Can you please post a picture?

And they can accommodate a variety of different phone case types/thicknesses. Unfortunately, that seems to be a key weakness with the Model 3's built-in phone dock design.

Reactions: T-Will