Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_5233.jpg

Yesterday. Near Tesla headquarters.

American real size or rest of the world ;)?

But seriously, the dash. I get simple, but it's not beautiful and artistic, it's plain. It won't win over people who want a nice small car, particular in parts of the world that small cars are a must. A small, luxury interior will be essential for it to be successful in Asia, for example.

The idea of a luxurious dash confounds me. Luxurious interior, such as soft touch plastics/leathers, as well as comfortable heated/cooled multi-adjustable leather seating, all seem to fit the mold. Whether the vehicle has a large binnacle with gauges everywhere, and sporadically placed vents of varying sizes (perhaps outlined in chrome) does not seem luxurious to me. It seems like they're dressing up functional items they haven't given consideration for in a century.

I'm not saying the Model 3's dash is going to be everyone's cup o'tea, and the seating may not be as luxurious as a comparable German make...but this idea that Tesla moving functional instrumentation to the center display, removing the clutter, somehow makes it less luxurious...yeah I don't get it.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

LOL. Heck, some people loved the Pontiac Aztec too!!

Hilarious! I was at the Toronto auto show morning of day1 the year the Aztec came out. A GM VP approached me and asked me what I thought of it. I replied with something along the lines of:
"You must be kidding. Is this vehicle some kind of a joke? I have been a car guy my entire life and this is by far the ugliest vehicle I have ever seen. I can't believe you guys actually built this."
He was actually quite offended.

O3DSG wrote:
"You must be kidding. Is this vehicle (Aztek) some kind of a joke? I have been a car guy my entire life and this is by far the ugliest vehicle I have ever seen. I can't believe you guys actually built this."

That is how I feel about the new Prius ... the second most ugly car in the world. LOL

Beauty is a subjective thing. We all have our opinions and definitions. Reportedly, Toyotas upper management sent the designers back to the drawing board to create a more "youthful and sporty" look. Youthful and sporty are hard to define. IMHO, the new Prius is neither youthful or sporty ... but others disagree, and even rave about the design. Hence ... to each his own.

Several post back a writer alluded to the M3 being "boring." Again, subjective. What would make it not boring? Garish headlights? taillights? meaningless sculptured indentations and bulges? or how about a return to tail fins? Toyota likes enormous gaping maws entirely out of proportion, and not needed for engine cooling.
To me, the M3 is a beautiful design. I like the graceful lines, body to wheel relationship, the crown (roof high point) being back (unlike the Prius). Admittedly, it shares some of the same design elements with other beautiful cars (IMHO) the Malibu, Ford, Avalon, Chrysler, Hyundai, and several others. What distinguishes the M3 is a very handsome design incorporating numerous technological advances. What remains to be determined is if the comfort, ride, handling, fit and finish, interior noise control, and reliability set it apart as an exceptional vehicle worth the high cost. Apparently over 400,000 of us believe that it is.

Finally .... don't confuse "boring" with beauty, elegant and graceful. That's my opinion..

Reactions: T34ME and Runt8
or how about a return to tail fins?
The tail fins of the past was inspired of the steering- or landing- fins from rockets, and no auto makers is closer to any rocket makers then Tesla, so it is not as far fetch as people may think ;)

... but on the other side, steering fins and landing legs has changed a bit since then. So you have to pay attention if any of this finds its way onto the cars from Tesla:
main-qimg-a5e1f772feb5c00957d7dc7de1ba1390

spacex-landing-leg-transformation-before.jpg

;)

• Funny
Reactions: Stirfelt and Topher