Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 refuses to wake up via app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Instead of making a new thread I'm going to revive this one...

My new Model 3 that I got in late September has been terrible in waking up. In fact, in the last two weeks I have not been able to wake it up via app at all. Before that, the last time I was able to access it via the app, I tried to turn on the climate control and it failed (which apparently is a common issue?).

Even after the latest update (I just updated two hours ago), after about one or two hours it goes into deep sleep and I can't get it to wake up. Interestingly, when I get into the car it does sometimes immediately have LTE connection. Sometimes, however, also that takes a few minutes to connect.

Is this normal? And who should I get in touch with to get it fixed?
software bug. hopefully will be fixed with an upcoming update (then broken again.. then fixed.. broken....) I've have my Model 3 since early 2018 and I consistently have issues waking up my car. Nothing a service center can fix.

Instead of making a new thread I'm going to revive this one...
Even after the latest update (I just updated two hours ago), after about one or two hours it goes into deep sleep and I can't get it to wake up. Interestingly, when I get into the car it does sometimes immediately have LTE connection. Sometimes, however, also that takes a few minutes to connect.

Is this normal? And who should I get in touch with to get it fixed?

I can report that I have the same issue.

If the car is charging or if it is awake it will connect right away

I assumed it was the app on the phone acting up (not waking up the car), but perhaps there is a software issue on the car.

Have you tried a two button reboot? I will do that tonight and see if the car will wake up in the morning in case it helps.

I hope it gets solved before too long, because it is getting close to doors frozen shut season and I need to warm up the car to free up the door handles and windows.

I have had mine since October 2018 and can report similar. Sometimes it wakes up very quickly while after other updates it takes considerably longer (or doesn't seem to wake up through the app at all). I have just recently tried the "lock / unlock" trick and it seems to help but need to try it under different circumstances (i.e. when the car is not nearby in the driveway).

The unlock/lock trick works only within bluetooth range, yes.

The two-button reboot or "turn off" function have not helped for me, or at least not once I tried it a day later.

Interesting to know that is basically normal behavior. That's really disappointing.

Interesting to know that is basically normal behavior. That's really disappointing.

This is abnormal behaviour in that it hasn't been happening in the past.

It seems the car is in a deep sleep and is not easy to wake up (via the cell connection) like in the past. Presumably a bug or overzealous attempt to reduce phantom drain.

Perhaps the car is now in the teenage years and likes to sleep all the time :)

• Funny
Reactions: israndy
This is abnormal behaviour in that it hasn't been happening in the past.

It seems the car is in a deep sleep and is not easy to wake up (via the cell connection) like in the past. Presumably a bug or overzealous attempt to reduce phantom drain.

Perhaps the car is now in the teenage years and likes to sleep all the time :)
It HAS been happening in the past though. Ever since the Model 3 was released!

I can’t believe that this far in they keep screwing this up. The three hardest tech things down at Tesla must be:
Waking the car up from the app
Reverse camera actually coming on reliably
And the latest, Bluetooth priority actually working. It used to set the seat to me cause it recognized my phone. Now with priority Bluetooth it just stays on the last person that drove even though my phone is prioritized.

When I first got the car in 2018, it had wake up issues. They mostly went away until about 2 weeks ago. They can’t help but tweak and break things. The only solution I know of is to leave sentry mode on.

This issue has been happening to me for at least a few weeks. it’s super annoying. I have to hit the lock/unlock button in the app to force it to wake up. It pretty much never wakes just by opening the app anymore.

I have noticed it about the same amount of time here too. Never really had a wakeup problem for so long in the last 2 years. The only time I can get it to work right away is if it's already awake, IE sentry mode, currently charging, or recently been awake and hasn't time to get to sleep.

Let's hope that the 2020.40.9 update that seems to be rolling out has a fix!

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
New Model 3 (Sept 2020) won't wake up via app after going to sleep. 40.8 installed.

Experiment: Using TeslaFi app and changing the settings so the car does NOT sleep (polled every minute), all is fine, and other than the occasional data fetch missed due to weakish LTE I get continuous answers and the car always responds to app.

When car goes to sleep, whether parked in the garage overnight, or at my wife's workplace (I'm teleworking), the car does not respond to the app. In this part of Canada we often get ice storms, so the ability to remotely trigger preconditioning is essential -- can't open the doors otherwise.

Other than the "keep it awake" workaround sure hope that a software update fixes this soon.

New Model 3 (Sept 2020) won't wake up via app after going to sleep. 40.8 installed.

Experiment: Using TeslaFi app and changing the settings so the car does NOT sleep (polled every minute), all is fine, and other than the occasional data fetch missed due to weakish LTE I get continuous answers and the car always responds to app.

When car goes to sleep, whether parked in the garage overnight, or at my wife's workplace (I'm teleworking), the car does not respond to the app. In this part of Canada we often get ice storms, so the ability to remotely trigger preconditioning is essential -- can't open the doors otherwise.

Other than the "keep it awake" workaround sure hope that a software update fixes this soon.
Yep. I didn’t use sentry at home until this started up again. With it on the app works almost instantly every time.

Bluetooth priority actually working. It used to set the seat to me cause it recognized my phone. Now with priority Bluetooth it just stays on the last person that drove even though my phone is prioritized.

I had the same expectation. After reading and experimenting, I now think these features work like this:
  • The bluetooth priority feature has nothing to do with unlocking or picking the driver seat profile. Each driver profile can have its own priority bluetooth device to connect to for bluetooth calling and streaming audio. E.g. make driver profile D1 default to phone P1 for calls and streaming.
  • Each key (phone, card, or fob) can auto-select a driver profile or not. (The Keys screen UI is not obvious.) E.g. make phone key P1 auto-select driver profile D1.
So if your phone key is not set to pick a profile (mine wasn't), that would explain why your seat just stays on the last person that drove.

Reactions: Darthbenji