Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 + Snow Exposure = Frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question about your signature.......

You have a Performance Model 3? That you took delivery of in March 2018? For a variant that didn't go into Production until July 2018?

What kind of wizardry....????

My signature says this: Model 3 RN1078XXXXX Second in line at the Chicago Grand Avenue on 3/31/2016.

I stood in line ( 2nd in line in the rain @ @2AM) on March 31st 2016 to put down a deposit.

I know the OP never stated the car was simply unsuitable for winter use and I don't know anyone else who made that claim either.

I didn't say you knew the person who implied the Model 3 is unsuitable for winter use (but if you were paying attention you would know that it was indeed implied in this thread):

Trunk is unusable on a snow day compared to the prior cars I have had with a similar configuration. No thought was put into a larger moat between the rear window and trunk. Suffice to say, keep your Model 3 garaged or move to the Bay Area.

and:

I have been reading the Canadian forums as the more I read the more I believe the Model 3 is a summer only car.

True, that was just the comment of a bully trying to disrupt productive discussion about how the Model 3 really is a nice car in the winter. No one was acting morally superior, the accusation of "moral superiority" was fabricated out of thin air in an attempt to distract and disrupt. It's a classic bully tactic when things are going the wrong way.

Personally, I chose an AWD Model 3 for its comfort/convenience/performance attributes. And it's driving dynamics. Because I can afford it and I like to ski a lot. There is nothing like heating up the seats and cabin of your car that's been parked in a winter mountain storm for hours while sitting on the chairlift. I've actually had frozen doors and windows more often on previous ICE cars than the Model 3 so I think that's a distraction. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm saying there are a few people who are trying to make it SEEM like it happens on a Tesla more than an ICE car. If anything, the Tesla is a little easier to get into when encased in ice (even if I forgot I could pre-heat it remotely). Tell me frozen Teslas are a big problem when I'm trying to open my ice encased Volvo after a day of skiing and it takes 5 minutes just to get inside so I can BEGIN the defrost procedure. The Model 3 is a much better snow/ice car. And it drives more securely on slippery surfaces. And the heater comes on almost instantly compared to previous ICE cars.

I give it a 9.7/10 in the winter. My previous Mazda AWD CX5 gets a 8.5/10 and the Volvo S80 T-6 a 9.2/10.
You have done nothing but dismiss every opinion but your own on this forum. So don't try to be the victim here by calling others bullies. Also we all heard that you go to your ski lodge. Stop bringing it up lmao

Reactions: apsen
I didn't say you knew the person who implied the Model 3 is unsuitable for winter use (but if you were paying attention you would know that it was indeed implied in this thread):
I never said the Model 3 is unsuitable for winter. Just pointing out an issue I've experience with a hope to resolve it. Didn't expect it to turn into a hissy fit about how the Model 3 is the best car in the world ever. I have taken some steps to resolve the issues, hopefully they don't come back, in which case I'll be happy.

Reactions: lukex4
You have done nothing but dismiss every opinion but your own on this forum.

Actually, I have agreed with most people on this thread. It's just the odd 3 or 4 that are inconsistent with my experiences with our two Model 3's that my experiences don't align with.

Do you want me to agree that the Model 3 is more likely to get frozen doors/windows than ICE cars when, in fact, they use the same suppliers for their rubber seals and window felts that ICE cars use?

If you think about it, the opinions I'm disagreeing with don't even stand up to rational scrutiny.

I guess I'm not easily swayed by mischaracterizations. *shrug*

I never said the Model 3 is unsuitable for winter. Just pointing out an issue I've experience with a hope to resolve it. Didn't expect it to turn into a hissy fit about how the Model 3 is the best car in the world ever. I have taken some steps to resolve the issues, hopefully they don't come back, in which case I'll be happy.

Amendale, do you have two aliases in this forum? That's the only logical explanation why you might act like I had accused you of saying the Model 3 is unsuitable for winter when, in fact, I had not.

I came back from a few days on the road to my car at the airport covered in about 2-3 inches of wet snow. My wipers were on automatic an freaked out so i menued through the several soft buttons to get them off. Opened my trunk to have all the snow on top roll onto the now covered rear window and all that slide into my trunk.

Trunk is unusable on a snow day compared to the prior cars I have had with a similar configuration. No thought was put into a larger moat between the rear window and trunk. Suffice to say, keep your Model 3 garaged or move to the Bay Area.

A new data point. I was in Southern California with a normal rain happening. I opened my trunk and there was a huge splash of water into my trunk. That moat cannot even stop rain!

A new data point. I was in Southern California with a normal rain happening. I opened my trunk and there was a huge splash of water into my trunk. That moat cannot even stop rain!

Maybe next time you could make a video, because I have no idea what you are talking about. Are you saying that the water is running off of the trunk deck and intruding into the vehicle when you open it, because there isn't adequate solution to evacuate the water when it runs off and so it overflows into the trunk?

If so that's a crappy design, and possibly it's doing that because of the 11th hour redesign of the trunk opening after people (rightly) criticized the prototype ones as being too tiny to load cargo.

In a heavy rain, the back window run-off will jump right over the moat below the window (i.e., the trunk lip) and right into the trunk. This is made worse when you open the trunk lid and the water there pours on the back window.

This resulted in about a cup of water being deposited in my trunk yesterday, which is difficult to evaporate away especially in the rain. I will start keeping a towel in my trunk to avoid this and the inevitable mildew.

Amendale, do you have two aliases in this forum? That's the only logical explanation why you might act like I had accused you of saying the Model 3 is unsuitable for winter when, in fact, I had not.
Hey stealth...

Read the last four pages on this post. You have been getting abused... Sorry... I’m an engineer and a super happy high mountain high latitude Tesla model 3 owner. This car rules. Tag Elon on any real unfixable downsides.

Don’t buy if you live in Saskatoon, SK. Do buy if you live in Nelson BC.

Hey stealth...

Read the last four pages on this post. You have been getting abused... Sorry... I’m an engineer and a super happy high mountain high latitude Tesla model 3 owner. This car rules. Tag Elon on any real unfixable downsides.

Yeah, so far it's my favorite car in the winter for all the advantages I've already pointed out, especially the winter driving dynamics and super fast cabin heat. But, no, I don't feel like I've been abused - it's well known that every Internet forum has abrasive know-it-alls who mostly spew nonsensical things to disrupt the conversation so this doesn't phase me at all, I expect it. I just roll with it knowing that the vast majority of people reading the forum are smart enough to filter out all the BS to get to the real deal.

It's too bad that's necessary but Internet trolls have existed as long as there has been the Internet.