Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up our 3 yesterday and it has hardware from August (October car build) with 32.7 that they didn’t upgrade to 39.x never mind 42... :D

Don’t know if new cars are normally pushed with the current software or not. I did ask about fobs and they didn’t have any/haven’t seen them at Tyson’s in Virginia.

Waiting for the mothership to come to its senses and push at least 39.x now...

And, oh yeah, that had to be added keycards for $15.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: hoang51 and pkodali
Silly/serious question: why does anyone need a key fob? Is the credit card key not good enough? Not having a key fob is a big upside to M3, in my opinion.

For example: having to pull out your wallet, tap on the B pillar, get in the car, pop the frunk, get out of the car, and then put your stuff in the frunk would be a real pain. Vs. with a fob you can walk up to the car, push the button on the fob to pop the frunk and put your stuff in.

But nobody is making you use a fob even if they offer it. If the car/phone works for you great. But they don't work for me.

Silly/serious question: why does anyone need a key fob? Is the credit card key not good enough? Not having a key fob is a big upside to M3, in my opinion.
The other reason is a Spouse that kills their phone battery regularly and refuses to mess around with a key card in order to get in the vehicle.

Note, said spouse also made fun of me when I used to complain about having to insert a key into an ignition, until they started driving the Volt and changed their tune.

When you reach 100,000+ Model 3's on the road like we have right now there is no such thing as a one size all fits approach. Giving people more options is never a bad thing.

If my phone (Pixel 2 XL) was 100% reliable I wouldn't need it. However, I've had enough failures to unlock either the charging cable or the driver's door that I'm considering it.

The other reason is a Spouse that kills their phone battery regularly and refuses to mess around with a key card in order to get in the vehicle.

Note, said spouse also made fun of me when I used to complain about having to insert a key into an ignition, until they started driving the Volt and changed their tune.
Surely that’s a good thing? Without a fob it means only you drive the car :cool:

If my phone (Pixel 2 XL) was 100% reliable I wouldn't need it. However, I've had enough failures to unlock either the charging cable or the driver's door that I'm considering it.

I'm going to jinx myself here, but my Pixel 2 XL has been 100% since I picked up the car almost a week ago. I still wouldn't mind having the fob available as a convenient backup and for summon, though. As others have said, options are good.

Hoping EAP uses regen more. Seems it was late braking (disc brakes) way too much. My guess is that's why they increased it... so that EAP also saved energy and they could rely on regen only for typical stop/go traffic. (Although another way could have been to slow down more gradually ;)

I'm going to jinx myself here, but my Pixel 2 XL has been 100% since I picked up the car almost a week ago. I still wouldn't mind having the fob available as a convenient backup and for summon, though. As others have said, options are good.
Yeah, mine was flawless to for a while. :)

My phone usually fails if I go into a store while parked nearby (e.g to pick up a coffee) and also randomly when in my pocket. If I take out the phone and press the power button once to just illuminate the screen, then the car usually unlocks. Could be an Android issue, though I don't have Battery Saver turned on.