Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.9.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m just against people requesting the newest update simply because they want it and going to extreme measures to do it. If Tesla just makes a button that pushes the update to your car automatically would be a god send.
I agree people should just wait and not take resources from others that have a legitimate reason for needing an update, as opposed to plain impatience.

I think a button just for requesting updates would be silly though. There are multiple reasons they don't push out updates to everyone at once and the vast majority of people want their updates as soon as they can get them. The only thing adding a button is going to do is get Tesla a couple hundred thousand update requests that they aren't going to fulfill anyway. Or, even worse, people will just click it once every other day in the hopes that they get an update.

Reactions: goldengate
True, but you have no way of knowing if that spot you just frivolously signed up for is one that someone else finds most convenient so they can get to work on time, or pick up their kid from daycare, or make a Dr's appointment.
Again, taking it way to serious. especially when my appointment is at 8 am on a week day. not many people signing up for that. take a deep breath, not that serious. Especially since i got my long range rwd for 55k in september, and now brand new its worth 43k. i think people will be fine by me asking for service to get the update before everyone else.

I agree people should just wait and not take resources from others that have a legitimate reason for needing an update, as opposed to plain impatience.

I think a button just for requesting updates would be silly though. There are multiple reasons they don't push out updates to everyone at once and the vast majority of people want their updates as soon as they can get them. The only thing adding a button is going to do is get Tesla a couple hundred thousand update requests that they aren't going to fulfill anyway. Or, even worse, people will just click it once every other day in the hopes that they get an update.

I would say it's the vast majority on this forum but not sure if it applies to the whole population of owners. I always had to go into my wife's phone to update it for her and it was usually several weeks after an update came out and that was for both major and minor updates (that is until they came out with auto-update).

Just like with the iPhone, you can request the update at 10:00 am on the dot and you are taking the risk there may be some fringe issue that could brick your phone (personally, I would rather have my car bricked than my phone). I don't think someone would keep clicking for an update, similar to the iPhone, it would be a button that says "update available" and then you could click on it.

Again, taking it way to serious. especially when my appointment is at 8 am on a week day. not many people signing up for that. take a deep breath, not that serious. Especially since i got my long range rwd for 55k in september, and now brand new its worth 43k. i think people will be fine by me asking for service to get the update before everyone else.

Sorry, when do you think people prefer their appointments? I always make appointments first thing in the morning and then drop off the car and go to work. Every time every place I have gone to has been packed.

LR RWD here. My 100% state of charge projected range increased from 306 to 325 after installing 5.15. I also had to reboot the car due the loss of bass/subwoofer issue so you may want to try that.

RWD LR here. With 5.15 update. I did see range increase.
On top of that car acceleration also seems to faster and I feel that 5% performance increase is also included.
Is it just me or anyone else notice this?

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3

Elon himself said that this was a good idea. It’s essentially like download at your own risk. Keep the impatient people happy, and the people who are okay with waiting happy.

So you’re saying you deserve to get special treatment or hinder the service centre process because you paid more for the car than rest of the people there? (Untrue) You think people will be fine with that? I’m truly lost for words.

Reactions: aronth5 and dsvick

Based on your logic, since I paid $71K for a car 7 months ago that now sells for 58K, I should be WAY ahead of you in line. See how that works?

Just stop with the entitlement mentality. You paid for a product, and then you got the product. The other stuff, like the OTA updates? That's just gravy at this point. Suck it up, buttercup.

I would say it's the vast majority on this forum but not sure if it applies to the whole population of owners. I always had to go into my wife's phone to update it for her and it was usually several weeks after an update came out and that was for both major and minor updates (that is until they came out with auto-update).

Just like with the iPhone, you can request the update at 10:00 am on the dot and you are taking the risk there may be some fringe issue that could brick your phone (personally, I would rather have my car bricked than my phone). I don't think someone would keep clicking for an update, similar to the iPhone, it would be a button that says "update available" and then you could click on it.
That's a good point, the sample on Tesla related forums is going is going to fall heavily on those who follow the updates and know when they are. I will disagree with you in that I'd rather have a bricked phone than car though - I can still get home with a bricked phone :D

Sounds like Tesla needs a drivethru update at the SCs like the complementary chargers. Maybe sell a few shirts and mugs at the same time. This really is a cult. I would not take the time of a tech for an update, but if they had a “update center” I am sure I would have gone by to get 2019.9 so I could try enhanced summon, or 2019.5 to get track mode. I have never been so focused on software updates with anything like I am with this car.

Reactions: wenkan and Pkmmte
Sounds like Tesla needs a drivethru update at the SCs like the complementary chargers. Maybe sell a few shirts and mugs at the same time. This really is a cult. I would not take the time of a tech for an update, but if they had a “update center” I am sure I would have gone by to get 2019.9 so I could try enhanced summon, or 2019.5 to get track mode. I have never been so focused on software updates with anything like I am with this car.

Or… this is crazy… they could just let us browse available versions, with patch notes, in our account on the site and select the one we'd like to download and install the next time the car connects to wifi.

• Funny
Reactions: Perry and MP3Mike
Not what i am saying... again you guys taking it the wrong way. What i am saying is i do not have a problem scheudling the service to get the update because of the fact of the price drop. FYI i got the update the next day when i scheduled the service center weeks about 3 weeks away. See what i did here. if you guys have a problem with that its cause youre soft. simple as that.

Not what i am saying... again you guys taking it the wrong way. What i am saying is i do not have a problem scheudling the service to get the update because of the fact of the price drop. FYI i got the update the next day when i scheduled the service center weeks about 3 weeks away. See what i did here. if you guys have a problem with that its cause youre soft. simple as that.

So if I have an issue that pops up, and it needs to be addressed because I'm going on a trip in 2 days....and all the available service slots are booked because of people like you......

ask me how I came up with this exact scenario.

Happened to me in December. I had to call the Roadside Assistance hotline and have them force-schedule me into the system, probably because of someone like you.

Yeah typical entitled waster of resources IMO.

Also you may have your wires crossed. The cars typically come out of service with "prepped" to pull the next applicable build down. IME they do not pre-update the cars in preparation for service. I think you fluked getting an update at a similar time you wasted resourced by booking a phantom service.

Reactions: dsvick
Yeah typical entitled waster of resources IMO.

Also you may have your wires crossed. The cars typically come out of service with "prepped" to pull the next applicable build down. IME they do not pre-update the cars in preparation for service. I think you fluked getting an update at a similar time you wasted resourced by booking a phantom service.

I mean, honestly, putting new software on the car BEFORE the service appointment makes little sense.

If you're trying to reproduce a software-related issue for the Service Center....why would they change the firmware on your car BEFORE they've had a chance to troubleshoot it?

Reactions: dsvick
I mean, honestly, putting new software on the car BEFORE the service appointment makes little sense.

If you're trying to reproduce a software-related issue for the Service Center....why would they change the firmware on your car BEFORE they've had a chance to troubleshoot it?
I do have to disagree with this.

Every time i've had a mobile service call, the first this the tech does before even leaving the service centre is check to see i'm on the latest version.

He has specifically told me this.

Reactions: Falkirk and Pkmmte
I do have to disagree with this.

Every time i've had a mobile service call, the first this the tech does before even leaving the service centre is check to see i'm on the latest version.

He has specifically told me this.

That just seems odd from an IT Major Incident Response background. I normally need to know about the current state, or the state it was in when the problem arose.

The only time I would immediately go to new firmware, is if the issue was known and documented, and the firmware is a vetted resolution to the issue.

but hey...that's just kinda...IT industry standard. LOL

Or… this is crazy… they could just let us browse available versions, with patch notes, in our account on the site and select the one we'd like to download and install the next time the car connects to wifi.
They don't want that. If a bad patch goes out to the whole fleet and they all fail....that's the end of Tesla. If a bad patch goes out and 5% fail, then it's survivable.

Software updates are a complicated thing.

That just seems odd from an IT Major Incident Response background. I normally need to know about the current state, or the state it was in when the problem arose.

The only time I would immediately go to new firmware, is if the issue was known and documented, and the firmware is a vetted resolution to the issue.

but hey...that's just kinda...IT industry standard. LOL
You are definitely right, but the tech's aren't diagnosing software bugs. They are just trying to get the car going. They will let Tesla corporate look at the bugs.

IMO most services are not about diagnosing software bugs - non-routine services for example the "Autopilot functionality restricted due to vision" type defects would warrant systemic diagnosis and I'm quite sure that the hardware would be the first suspect, followed by software. At some point in makes sense to ensure that the faulty device is fully patched up because that's typically the only "supported" release, and the engineers are not going to want to provide diagnosis on older SW if possible.

I believe that we get a new software update as a result of service, in general as a feel good measure. Face it, the cars self update based on whatever voodoo the Tesla SW distribution system uses. In the last few years, your car would update roughly every 6-8 weeks automatically. There seems to be some excitement among new owners - understandable, want the latest and greatest NOW, but trust me, as a several years owner, you will get over it, and learn to wait.

Of course if Tesla were a little more transparent as to what they are doing and what the development, and availability of features looks like it would be easy to be less anxious. Personally I'd like to know - will my AP2 with FSD get HW3, when? Will it enable all the nice features dashcam, sentry that AP2 cars missed? Will NoA come to Australia, will advanced summon come to Australia etc etc.

But at the end of the day, the answer is, be happy, and wait.

Last edited: