Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Standard Range (Canada) Range: 150km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The alternatives is that they made the SR- with a 22.5 kWh battery. And you'll never be able to upgrade.

Otherwise if the battery is bigger the only way not to be safe to 100% is if they leave a ginormous buffer at the bottom. For example if it's a 50kWh battery, they have to make the battery be more than 45% actually full at empty for 100% to be over 90% of actual battery.

They could of had a deal with the Federal Gov that future unlock of the extra capacity = more than the cost of the SR+. Thus generating more sales tax than normal.

Direct financing with low monthly payments / pay per use unlock for road trips / anything is possible.

For the soft lock, I would think Tesla lock it by kWh but not km. Just like their supercharge, they show you km charged by calculating the kWh. Another example is they advertise the car by km but what they really gave you is the battery with rated kWh. If they really lock it by km regardless of the driving condition (which is no way they can predict), its range is even better than the SR+ in some extreme condition (cold weather, high speed, heating, parking outside, sentry mode, etc)

Last edited:
it’s not punishing the ppl who opt for SR-, it’s a punishment for every one else instead if they lock it by range but not kWh.

It's in Tesla and the SR-'s owner's best interest to allow for such optimal usage. The battery health is optimize and makes reselling the vehicle that much easier.

They bit the bullet and got the cheapest Canadian M3. Throw them a bone my friend. Doesn't affect you =)

Locked to 150km would be a neat thing actually.. no other ev (or gas car) guarantees a range regardless of your driving!
They wouldn’t do that anyways.. if you are going up a long 150km mountain road, in the winter, you could eat up all the kwh even in an sr+ battery. But I think those would be quite rare.

In principle I agree with the caution, but I’ll be interested to see what happens with SR- capacity this winter. It might be strong.

Most BEV distance is hardware limited by battery capacity. My understanding is that the travel distance of SR- is limited by software and that the hardware is the same as that of the SR.

If this is correct, it would mean that Tesla could limit the SR- to 150 km driving distance in winter as well as in summer.

If they did, it would be the first time they ever did that with a software limited vehicle. I wouldn't be betting on it. They're really not interested in making it a vehicle that anyone would buy anyway.

Monetizing pay per use unlock of battery range = $.
It's on the menu, you can't stop people from ordering it, may as well make it a cool trim and use it as a test bed for a new service.

It's been pretty much assured that the government is preventing them from offering unlock to be eligible for the $5,000 incentive. Not sure if it's 100% official but that's what everyone who's looked into it has concluded.

Edit: Also you can prevent most people from ordering it by crippling it to 150km rated range, which is what they're most likely doing.

I'd be very very careful about that. 150km is in close to ideal circumstances.

I live in Sudbury. In January/February like the one just past you lose a lot of range. First, when the car has been sitting outside, the first thing it does is heat up the battery. You'll lose 40 km right there. Now think about doing that a couple of times per day. Second, you'll lose 40% of the range below -20, just because of increased air density, battery heating energy and cabin heating energy.

And finally, if you drive 120 you'll lose 15% range over what you'd get at 105.

I would NOT buy a 150 km range car up here.

I work from home and during the winter would not be driving very much, going to grocery store once a week ( less than 2 km ) as I dislike the conditions of the roads here in winter.

I work from home and during the winter would not be driving very much, going to grocery store once a week ( less than 2 km ) as I dislike the conditions of the roads here in winter.
To each their own. But if I were driving 2km a week I wouldn't spend $45,000 on a new car.

My wife barely drives so for the second car we got used ev for $12,000 which also gets 150km range. Sadly not a tesla but just didn't make sense.

My model 3 has almost 40,000 km on it since October though. Probably won't drive as much next year but probably still 15-20k km.

To each their own. But if I were driving 2km a week I wouldn't spend $45,000 on a new car.

My wife barely drives so for the second car we got used ev for $12,000 which also gets 150km range. Sadly not a tesla but just didn't make sense.

My model 3 has almost 40,000 km on it since October though. Probably won't drive as much next year but probably still 15-20k km.

Winter months only as I prefer driving May to end of Oct as I did when driving Mustangs.

No sign of the regular SR that was $35000 US on either Canada Tesla site or US site .
That should have been $46000-47000

Just shows SR+ at $54990.00, hard to justify $10000 for extra range alone.

What makes you guys think it is 150 km guaranteed ?
It is going to 150 km rated.
There is no such a thing as guaranteed distance. You can drive a 425 km MR and empty the battery in 150km.

You didn’t get what I’m saying. All what I say is that, if it’s 150km guaranteed like some of above my posts had wished, I would buy that in a heart beat. In the early post, I’ve stated that it is impossible. But ppl were thinking I’m selfish:(