Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Standard Range (Canada) Range: 150km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd bet a coke that the 150km car can be unlocked. Not now, but maybe next year or the year after. Probably won't be cheap but I almost guarantee it will be possible. I don't think Tesla issued this car thinking it would be locked down forever.

Also, has anyone figured out how to hack that element of locking of batteries?

I'd bet a coke that the 150km car can be unlocked. Not now, but maybe next year or the year after. Probably won't be cheap but I almost guarantee it will be possible. I don't think Tesla issued this car thinking it would be locked down forever.

Also, has anyone figured out how to hack that element of locking of batteries?

Just wait for mass market in China to get their M3, they hack everything.

• Funny
Reactions: duanra and Vawlkus
Here in Sudbury, there is already Tesla superchargers, so the 150km will work for me and save $10,000. When I used to own different Mustangs or Miata's, I left Sudbury maybe 3 times altogether.
Worst case rent a car if go out of town.

Some will ask, why not choose Nissan Leaf+ with far more range? Dislike FWD cars and less charging stations here for Nissan.

Warn you guys! Before you get an EV, you may never imagine how much range you can get out of that 150km SR model 3. I recently got my SR+ and had my first 800km road trip. Drove from Vancouver to Merritt (~250km), I had less than 10% (~50km) battery left with a fully charged car! That's about 75% of the range they advertised. I heard winter will be worse. So a 150km car could go about 110km in summer and less than 75km in winter.

Here in Sudbury, there is already Tesla superchargers, so the 150km will work for me and save $10,000. When I used to own different Mustangs or Miata's, I left Sudbury maybe 3 times altogether.
Worst case rent a car if go out of town.

Some will ask, why not choose Nissan Leaf+ with far more range? Dislike FWD cars and less charging stations here for Nissan.

I'd be very very careful about that. 150km is in close to ideal circumstances.

I live in Sudbury. In January/February like the one just past you lose a lot of range. First, when the car has been sitting outside, the first thing it does is heat up the battery. You'll lose 40 km right there. Now think about doing that a couple of times per day. Second, you'll lose 40% of the range below -20, just because of increased air density, battery heating energy and cabin heating energy.

And finally, if you drive 120 you'll lose 15% range over what you'd get at 105.

I would NOT buy a 150 km range car up here.

Warn you guys! Before you get an EV, you may never imagine how much range you can get out of that 150km SR model 3. I recently got my SR+ and had my first 800km road trip. Drove from Vancouver to Merritt (~250km), I had less than 10% (~50km) battery left with a fully charged car! That's about 75% of the range they advertised. I heard winter will be worse. So a 150km car could go about 110km in summer and less than 75km in winter.
Definitely normal estimates for driving an EV, so I completely agree with your caution. Adding another layer on top of this, tesla doesn't recommend charging to 100% or discharging below 10% often. It won't immediately break the battery, but lithium batteries don't like staying at extreme charge levels high or low for extended periods. So an SR- in theory has 20% less range for daily driving, so starting at 130km in your math above instead of 150km.

Winter driving, especially in Sudbury like the poster before you, is not something I would personally consider since when you add heat and driving through snow into the mix the SR- will likely have about 50km or possibly even less 10-90% range.

In 2014 that would have been awesome, but we are heading into 2020 and spending that much cash on a range limited car is really just bananas....in my professional opinion of course ;)

I won't be that dramatic, the max loss is on short distance in winter. You don't need much range on short distance. On long distance, you might lose 30%.

On the bright side, (speculation alert), once the government stops the 5k help, it might be possible that Tesla unlock your battery as long as you pay for it, that is.

However, I wouldn't buy such a car if I were you.

In principle I agree with the caution, but I’ll be interested to see what happens with SR- capacity this winter. It might be strong.

Most BEV distance is hardware limited by battery capacity. My understanding is that the travel distance of SR- is limited by software and that the hardware is the same as that of the SR.

If this is correct, it would mean that Tesla could limit the SR- to 150 km driving distance in winter as well as in summer.

In principle I agree with the caution, but I’ll be interested to see what happens with SR- capacity this winter. It might be strong.

Most BEV distance is hardware limited by battery capacity. My understanding is that the travel distance of SR- is limited by software and that the hardware is the same as that of the SR.

If this is correct, it would mean that Tesla could limit the SR- to 150 km driving distance in winter as well as in summer.

It's theoretically possible, but to date my understanding of software locked batteries is that Tesla locks them as a percentage. In this case, the software would lock away the top ~60% of the SR+ battery, and that bottom 40% would perform just like the bottom 40% of the SR+; including any range drops in winter.

Reactions: Big Earl

Technically, they can allow for 150km travel range in all conditions if this is the case. The car can trickle charge itself to 80% of 386km every day while only delivering 150km at all times when the user opts to charge to 100% on their smartphone/car setting.

So even in the dead of winter, travel range = 150km (actual battery range at 340kms).

This is unlike existing Teslas. So far all Teslas display rated range and not a guessometer.

Since Tesla doesn't want to sell sr- I doubt they would enhance it this way.

It makes no sense to punish someone who opted for a software locked car. They may as well go the extra mile and make the nerfed car something special by allowing 150kms every day at 100% while saving the battery in the mean time.

It makes no sense to punish someone who opted for a software locked car. They may as well go the extra mile and make the nerfed car something special by allowing 150kms every day at 100% while saving the battery in the mean time.

It doesn't make sense in general with all their other software locks, but this one they may actually be losing money on each car, and they only sell it to qualify for the rebate, so it makes sense to make it as unattractive as possible. I'm not saying I like this strategy but it makes sense.

Edit: I was talking about rated range vs the idea of getting 150km even in winter through special software for the SR-. I do think you'll be able to charge it to 100% every day.

Definitely normal estimates for driving an EV, so I completely agree with your caution. Adding another layer on top of this, tesla doesn't recommend charging to 100% or discharging below 10% often. It won't immediately break the battery, but lithium batteries don't like staying at extreme charge levels high or low for extended periods. So an SR- in theory has 20% less range for daily driving, so starting at 130km in your math above instead of 150km.

It's a software locked battery, so 100% charge is not really 100% charge, so I assume you can 100% charge it all the time since you're not going to hit the battery's upper capacity.

Reactions: Big Earl
I know it is a wide spread theory but I wouldn't count on that...

The alternatives is that they made the SR- with a 22.5 kWh battery. And you'll never be able to upgrade.

Otherwise if the battery is bigger the only way not to be safe to 100% is if they leave a ginormous buffer at the bottom. For example if it's a 50kWh battery, they have to make the battery be more than 45% actually full at empty for 100% to be over 90% of actual battery.