Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Unveiling and Reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know, I would be interested in a model 3 for the wife. However, following my experience with the signature, there is no need to put down a reservation for it. At best it will make a 1 or 2 month difference to your delivery time. If Tesla has not matured sufficiently to ramp production from the get go by then, the company is in deep do do. Bear in mind that North America comes first followed by Europe and England. Sure highly specked vehicles will be delivered first followed immediately by production vehicles which will have long since been in production in the USA. My signature was followed within days by production vehicles in Australia, that after having been reserved for 4 years at the time of delivery. In the States, there was a lag of around 4-6 months. The production ramp was very slow. Mind you, the ramp of the X also seems to be unduly slow. This is why I don't expect to see the 3 in Australia before 2019 and maybe not til 2020.
Putting down a deposit gives you no advantages, does not lock in a price ( with the sig, that was not strictly true, we avoided one 2000 price jump by reserving before a specified date), and gives you no privileges afterwards. Certainly, I don't get software updates early for example.
To assess demand, a simple expression of interest would do that. You won't be locking in a price either since I strongly doubt that a design studio for Australia will be released at this time.
So, I can't see what all the hype is to rush in and put your cold hard down on the table.

You know, I would be interested in a model 3 for the wife. However, following my experience with the signature, there is no need to put down a reservation for it. At best it will make a 1 or 2 month difference to your delivery time. If Tesla has not matured sufficiently to ramp production from the get go by then, the company is in deep do do. Bear in mind that North America comes first followed by Europe and England. Sure highly specked vehicles will be delivered first followed immediately by production vehicles which will have long since been in production in the USA. My signature was followed within days by production vehicles in Australia, that after having been reserved for 4 years at the time of delivery. In the States, there was a lag of around 4-6 months. The production ramp was very slow. Mind you, the ramp of the X also seems to be unduly slow. This is why I don't expect to see the 3 in Australia before 2019 and maybe not til 2020.
Putting down a deposit gives you no advantages, does not lock in a price ( with the sig, that was not strictly true, we avoided one 2000 price jump by reserving before a specified date), and gives you no privileges afterwards. Certainly, I don't get software updates early for example.
To assess demand, a simple expression of interest would do that. You won't be locking in a price either since I strongly doubt that a design studio for Australia will be released at this time.
So, I can't see what all the hype is to rush in and put your cold hard down on the table.

As much as I agree with your comments above Dborn I'm keen to put a deposit on a model 3 to support a car maker that's not just about pleasing shareholders, the Roadster was an excellent first up achievement, the model S is awesome, but in the end the model 3 is intended to be the affordable electric car with range and safety, the car that may finally force the big carmakers to get off their backsides and show respect to the motoring public.
If I lived in Sydney or Melbourne I would be lining up at a Tesla store just like those iPhone fanatics line up outside Apple stores around the world, sometimes it's not just about being first, but also about being a small part in making a difference.
The model 3 May not hit Australian shores for 2 or 3 years but when mine arrives I will drive it around with the same pride as my model S.

You are probably right but it makes for good conversation at the dinner table.

I agree with you. We may be first in the world to place an order, but we will definately be last in the world to recieve the goods, and those goods wont be anything like the first.

As much as I agree with your comments above Dborn I'm keen to put a deposit on a model 3 to support a car maker that's not just about pleasing shareholders, the Roadster was an excellent first up achievement, the model S is awesome, but in the end the model 3 is intended to be the affordable electric car with range and safety, the car that may finally force the big carmakers to get off their backsides and show respect to the motoring public.
If I lived in Sydney or Melbourne I would be lining up at a Tesla store just like those iPhone fanatics line up outside Apple stores around the world, sometimes it's not just about being first, but also about being a small part in making a difference.
The model 3 May not hit Australian shores for 2 or 3 years but when mine arrives I will drive it around with the same pride as my model S.

Funny thing is you don't even have to queue as being a current owner you'll jump the queue and get your vehicle before us non-owners anyway :(

Based on my calcs I get $AUD65K is more likely.

Hi Keiron, I just ran a quick calculation and came up with $62k in WA ( equal highest stamp duty I understand ), that was based on today's Aus dollar rate of US75c, the car leaves the factory in California at AUS $46 700, after import duty, GST, shipping ($1500) state stamp duty and associated licensing it goes $60k plus.
BUT- 1. I could have completed missed the calculation formula, 2. In 2018 the $AUS could be vastly different, 3.import duty could be lower, 4. Two years is a long time in politics, someone in Parliment may show an interest in EVs and smooth the path ( okay, that's unlikely to happen, but we can only dream).

The timing of the release means if I end up with a Model 3 it will be highly likely I will be teaching our eldest to drive in it. Being based in NSW it will be interesting to see if the restrictions on red P's will apply to the Model 3 once it lands.

The car it will likely replace, a 2014 BMW 335i lemon, is on the banned list and therefore will be gone by then.

Hell yes! I'll be there. Feel like a kid in a lolly store..... Currently debating ordering 2 or 3 Model III. First in first to benefit.:cool:
Mind you only the first one ( for wifey ) will have the priority. Then of course theirs the ever present nagging feeling that a P90DL would look really good in my fleet.

Trying to decide whether i should go to the Chadstone store or the Richmond store on Thursday. Probably Chadstone as it's closer for me and probably less people there.

Won't be camping out, but i'll be there an hour or so before it opens.

Also I believe it will be $55k-60k AUD from what i've heard from Tesla employees, but I'm going to want a fully loaded one so i'd expect to go up to $90k or so.

I hope there's a lot of people there. but I also hope it doesn't take all day in line because they have 3 people taking reservations that take 30 mins each person :/