Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Unveiling - March 31st!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just want to know...

What time can I give Tesla my money?!?!

I will camp (literally) in front of my local Tesla store just to get a low reservation number.

I know that I do not need a low reservation number, but I do want a low reservation number. Bragging rights, haha.

I just want to know...

I will camp (literally) in front of my local Tesla store just to get a low reservation number.

I know that I do not need a low reservation number, but I do want a low reservation number. Bragging rights, haha.

Jess (Runsilnt) and Arshia (Cyclone) and I [Andrew (Drucifer)] and a few others are in contact with store staff at Charlotte regarding the launch event / party / take our money thing.

I just want to know...

If it were me I'd tend to wait until the first 2-3 months of production are complete. I've been involved in manufacturing too long; they need time to work out the bugs. Short term bragging rights, long term little, niggling headaches. That is, unless you don't mind the extra cost and hassle of going back frequently for adjustments and whatnot.

I just want to know...

I called Tesla headquarters last week (test drive reservation people) to ask this question. They weren't certain, but speculated that we would be able to give them our money as soon as the store opened for business on March 31. I'd love to know if there is more concrete information out there than this. I'm planning on lining up ahead of time at my local store.

I called Tesla headquarters last week (test drive reservation people) to ask this question. They weren't certain, but speculated that we would be able to give them our money as soon as the store opened for business on March 31. I'd love to know if there is more concrete information out there than this. I'm planning on lining up ahead of time at my local store.
Yep - already taken the day off work to make sure I'd be able to get there for what ever time is needed.
Not overly sure about handing over the cash without seeing some idea of what the car looks like though.

If it were me I'd tend to wait until the first 2-3 months of production are complete. I've been involved in manufacturing too long; they need time to work out the bugs. Short term bragging rights, long term little, niggling headaches. That is, unless you don't mind the extra cost and hassle of going back frequently for adjustments and whatnot.
Stop being so sensible. ;) Unless one is ordering with max options, I also see little reason to be first in line.

Stop being so sensible. ;) Unless one is ordering with max options, I also see little reason to be first in line.
I don't understand this line of thinking, yet everybody keeps recycling it. It's still beneficial to be first in line even if you're ordering a barebones base model. Sure, you won't be first off the production line for max options, but you'll be first off the presses for barebones models.

The earlier you reserve, the earlier you get your car. Simple as that. This is important if you're eyeing that tax credit.

I wonder how many people are looking to get a barebones Model 3 because it's what they can afford, expecting the $7500 tax credit, not realizing that if the barebones is all they can afford, they probably don't make enough to get that much money back from the government.

I wonder how many people are looking to get a barebones Model 3 because it's what they can afford, expecting the $7500 tax credit, not realizing that if the barebones is all they can afford, they probably don't make enough to get that much money back from the government.
There's a decent chance there won't be any credits left for them by the time their barebones 3 arrives, anyway.

It'll be rough being a barebones buyer, but lots of people will be mid-ranging their options.

So they're not maxing out, but they're not barebonesing it either, which means they'll want to reserve ASAP to squeeze in at the end of the tax credits.

Plus, this is all speculation. Barebones buyers might just get the tax credit. We don't know.

I know this gets thrown a lot "well the barebones buyers might not be eligible for the full tax rebate". So I thought to myself "what's the minimum income someone needs to earn to pay $7,500 in federal taxes"?

And from a quick google search, a single person needs to make at least ~$57k, and a married couple needs to make at least ~$75k (that's not counting kids, 401k deductions, student loans, mortgage, etc.).

The question we need to ask these people is how much will they really get based on their tax liability.

Getting a barebones vehicle or only having the budget for a barebones vehicle doesn't automatically correlate to not making enough money to be able to qualify for the full tax credit. They may have other expenses or spending priorities, or simply don't care for spending the money on all the options and would be fine with just the base Model 3 (some people on this forum have stated as much).