Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 with kids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two small kids and it works fine. Three kids - I think will not fit.

The glass roof can create an uncomfortable hot spot in the back, that's why I bought the roof shade. Also, tinting the side windows helps.

FWIW - I had 3 kids in the back recently. 2 in boosters and 1 in the middle. The kid in the middle couldn't wait to get out of the car after the 20 min trip...felt too squeezed in against both boosters.

Which selt belt extenders work for you out of interest?
These
2 x Rigid 3" Seat Belt Lengthening Accessory (7/8" Inch Metal Tongue Width) - E-Mark Safety Certified - Extend Belt, Buckle Up & Drive Safely Again - Sticks Upright https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081D4K531/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_mM5-Db173KC0K

because they are rigid, they may tend to press towards the car seat, requiring care with the angle when kids click in, so I put something like this (not exactly these but it’s a chunk of silicone) to separate it from the seat 1/4”
2 Pack Car Seat Belt Buckle Holder Cover Keep Seatbelt Receiver Upright, Silicone Buckle Holder for Easy Buckle Booster Seat Fit for Most Vehicles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YG8F85V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dN5-DbYMQHS1C

FWIW - I had 3 kids in the back recently. 2 in boosters and 1 in the middle. The kid in the middle couldn't wait to get out of the car after the 20 min trip...felt too squeezed in against both boosters.
Agree I would have prefer it if the Latch anchors had been spaced 2” apart more- there is plenty wasted space towards the outside

i bought 2 of these
3" rigid in black
Tesla Model 3 Seat Belt Extender

rs5244-sbep-sbe-miniblack1-1507__75287.1517834422.jpg
Yup!

I was hoping that our Model 3 would get delivered before our 2nd child, but she arrived in April 2018 and I picked up the Model 3 in late June 2018.

Our older child is 4 now and just switched from rear facing to front in a Maxi Cosi Pria 70, which is not a small car seat. I am 6'0" and had the rear facing seat behind me on the drivers side and did have to adjust the seat forward just a little bit from where I normally would have it, however, with front facing I have plenty of room to have the drivers seat where I like it. (Also, yes you can use the top anchor.)

On the passenger side we had our younger child in an infant seat (which I feel like any infant seat, even with a base, would be fine) and then later when she got bigger had the same Maxi Cosi Pria 70, and we have done 3 multi day road trips this way with no problems.

I have also had just one of the car seats in and folded down the other seat and middle to haul stuff (including 8' ft lumber). I have had the one car seat on the drivers side, the infant seat in the middle seat and an adult in the passenger side back seat. And I have had the car seat on one side a teenager in the middle and an adult on the other side of the back seat for over an hour to go to a baseball game. Yes, it is a bit tight in the last 2 scenarios, but its not too uncomfortable and works a lot better than taking 2 cars when you are going a long way and have to pay $20 per car for parking when you get there.

We also very frequently put a BOB Revolution Flex jogging stroller in the trunk with the wheels on when we dont have much more to carry or take the back wheels off (which is very quick and easy) to fit it sideways in the very back of the trunk right up next to the rear seats and there is tons of room left for other stuff, even access to the subtrunk.

The inside of the back seat and the trunk are definitely bigger and easier to access than our Volvo S40 which was out daily driver before.

I have 3 car seats in the back of my 3. 2 forward facing and one rear facing. It’s a tight fit, but they definitely fit. Kids love the car. Never really had an issue getting the BOB or City Select in the trunk. Have had to pop off a tire or cup holder a few times but that is very easy to do by design.

2F86979E-0ACC-409F-B0CA-3437B82F7131.jpeg

I have 3 car seats in the back of my 3. 2 forward facing and one rear facing. It’s a tight fit, but they definitely fit. Kids love the car. Never really had an issue getting the BOB or City Select in the trunk. Have had to pop off a tire or cup holder a few times but that is very easy to do by design.

View attachment 490221
White seats with three kids. You're a braver person than me.:D

Im 6'2' and have a Orbit G3 Infant seat with base (rear facing) in the middle of the rear seat and i have to adjust my seat up to the bring of being uncomfortable.

I was thinking of just removing the base and belting down the seat down with seat belts in the middle, but might even put the seat on the sides, thoughts on either of this?

Like to free up some room!

Circumstances have me re-evaluating my Model 3 reservation. For those with young kids, or those expecting -- how do you anticipate the size of the M3 will work for you?

Also, for those with the model S as well...how does the sunroof work out for kids with rear facing carseats? is the tinting enough where the sun isn't a b!tch?

This wouldn't be the primary family car, but will need to accomodate kids so for the next 5-8 years so i want to make sure it's a good fit. I'm confident in the safety of the car, but could use some wisdom on the joys and struggles of having kids and driving a sedan. Thanks!

we have a 5 year old and he likes his car seat in the middle. We haven’t had any trouble fitting a stroller bike or other kid stuff in the trunk. It’s a pretty family friendly car but I don’t think it would be comfortable for three or more kids

We have a 17 month old and a newborn and the car is great.

17 month old is rear facing in a combi coccoro in the middle and newborn is rear facing in an infant seat behind the passenger. I know locations should be flipped for safety but the 17 month old is in the car much more often.

I have plenty of room to drive and I’m 6’2”. Space behind myself is tight in legroom and width with the car seat but would be ok for a child.

I will be switching the infant seat to a Diono radian rxt rear facing with the angle adjuster for our older child in a few months once our newborn is older and the newborn will move to the coccoro.

My wife is 5’ 6” so she has no trouble in the front with the rear facing seat behind her. I’m a little uncomfortable in the passenger seat.

Trunk room has been fine even with a jogging stroller. I don’t think a double stroller would fit.

Overall the 3 is a decent family car for younger kids. I’ll certainly want something bigger when they are older but this was my last chance to buy a sport sedan so I went for it and have no regrets.

Reactions: RedSafari
We have a 17 month old and a newborn and the car is great.

17 month old is rear facing in a combi coccoro in the middle and newborn is rear facing in an infant seat behind the passenger. I know locations should be flipped for safety but the 17 month old is in the car much more often.

I have plenty of room to drive and I’m 6’2”. Space behind myself is tight in legroom and width with the car seat but would be ok for a child.

I will be switching the infant seat to a Diono radian rxt rear facing with the angle adjuster for our older child in a few months once our newborn is older and the newborn will move to the coccoro.

My wife is 5’ 6” so she has no trouble in the front with the rear facing seat behind her. I’m a little uncomfortable in the passenger seat.

Trunk room has been fine even with a jogging stroller. I don’t think a double stroller would fit.

Overall the 3 is a decent family car for younger kids. I’ll certainly want something bigger when they are older but this was my last chance to buy a sport sedan so I went for it and have no regrets.
I have a Keyfit 30 rear facing on the passenger side, as our 3 month old’s seat doesn’t work behind mine. I’m 6’3, and generally ride with the seat all the way back for the most comfortable drive. Works great overall for the one baby we have.

Cybertruck will eventually be the kid/baby hauler when there’s another, and they’re older.

Maybe I missed a thread on this, but when I take my car seat base out, there are some serious depressions in the seats from the base. Mostly on the back of the seat, where there are some parts of the base that “dig in”. Does anyone know if the foam in the seat will bounce back? It currently holds its compressed shape, within 24 hours, but haven’t had it out long enough to see what long term will happen.

I won’t be using seat protectors, as they’re not approved with my car seat, and I’ve read a lot of articles about them affecting overall efficacy of the base, and safety of it. (I’d rather the core question be answered, than the merits of this particular point).

View attachment 490221

You are very brave to have white interior with kids. Any issues there?

We have a Diono Radian 3R front-facing for a preschooler in the middle and a Britax Boulevard rear-facing behind the passenger for a toddler. I figure that rear-facing being safer than front-facing cancels out middle being safer than outside, so it's not like one kid is being protected much less than the other. It makes the most sense functionally since the older child can climb in and out from the driver's side and it's easier to lift the toddler into the seat while standing outside of the car.

The Britax is so wide that it pushes the Diono off to the side so it's not centered. They don't fit together well side-by-side front-facing. I'm planning on getting a second 3R when we turn the younger one around to front-facing so I can still accommodate a third (skinny) adult behind the driver using a seat-belt extender like we do now.

You might consider the Radian 3R instead of the 3RXT. The child could outgrow it because of his/her torso length before reaching the height or weight limit. The headrest can only be raised so high and their shoulders can end up hitting the wings of the headrest. That's when used as either a front-facing car seat with harness or a booster seat with the car's seat belt. You'd have to decide if it was worth the hypothetical safety trade-off.

Diono radian 3RXT Review - Car Seats For The Littles

I have 3 kids and went from a minivan to the M3 when my oldest got his own car and didn't ride with me much anymore. Most of the time, I only transport 2-4 people in my car. However, there are occasions when we have 4 adult sized bodies plus 1 body approaching adult size in the car at the same time. It is TIGHT in the back. We put the 3 skinniest people back there and it's not comfortable for them. They have to do all sorts of contortions and assist each other just to get the seatbelts buckled. It's actually funny to watch from the front seat! We only do this for shorter rides where we don't want to take 2 cars. If we take a long car trip with all of us, then we'll rent or borrow something bigger or just take 2 cars.

Edit to add that teenagers fight in the back seat just as much as younger kids do so don't think you'll spare yourself that annoyance with older kids. They get squished in back there and still think it would be ok to annoy each other and fight!

You might consider the Radian 3R instead of the 3RXT. The child could outgrow it because of his/her torso length before reaching the height or weight limit. The headrest can only be raised so high and their shoulders can end up hitting the wings of the headrest. That's when used as either a front-facing car seat with harness or a booster seat with the car's seat belt. You'd have to decide if it was worth the hypothetical safety trade-off.

Diono radian 3RXT Review - Car Seats For The Littles

Interesting I hadn’t thought of that as a potential problem. We have 4 RXT seats already among our cars and grandparents cars but I’ll take a look at the 3R since our toddler is in the 80s percentile wise for height and weight.