Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 with kids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have white interior, and using any rubber lined seat protection covers. Make sure add one more layer of white blanket in between the seat cover and your seat. Last time the pressure securing the convertible car seat left a very light marking on the white seat.
And keep in mind the child lock locks both rear doors, and if your significant other is sitting with the child at the back, she will be locked in as well. Wish there's a software update that allows us to choose which door to activate child-lock.

If you have white interior, and using any rubber lined seat protection covers. Make sure add one more layer of white blanket in between the seat cover and your seat. Last time the pressure securing the convertible car seat left a very light marking on the white seat.
And keep in mind the child lock locks both rear doors, and if your significant other is sitting with the child at the back, she will be locked in as well. Wish there's a software update that allows us to choose which door to activate child-lock.

Damn, I hate to be this guy, but people should be very careful about putting anything under car seats. Some manufacturers allow for protectors but most do not. Just something I’ve learned from researching this topic when I got my new M3.

I have 3 car seats in the back of my 3. 2 forward facing and one rear facing. It’s a tight fit, but they definitely fit. Kids love the car. Never really had an issue getting the BOB or City Select in the trunk. Have had to pop off a tire or cup holder a few times but that is very easy to do by design.

View attachment 490221

What kind of Britex car seat is that? I had a Graco carseat but I couldn't use it because back seat head rest do not move on M3.

Damn, I hate to be this guy, but people should be very careful about putting anything under car seats. Some manufacturers allow for protectors but most do not. Just something I’ve learned from researching this topic when I got my new M3.
The true test is how much you can move the base around. Most models say if you can move it side to side less than 1 inch then you are good to go.

See the link below. All of the seats I have allow a protector. I have the diono ones for use with graco, combi and diono seats and have no issues.
Seat Protectors At a Glance - Car Seats For The Littles

You won’t know if you have any issues until you are in an accident with said product. I’ll take the conservative approach and value my children’s safety over potential marks on my car’s seat.

You won’t know if you have any issues until you are in an accident with said product. I’ll take the conservative approach and value my children’s safety over potential marks on my car’s seat.
If you are really going for ultimate safety, you should be putting them in the middle seat in the back. Also, you probably shouldn't be driving them around at all. You could of course then wrap them in bubble wrap for the next 30 years as well.
Not trying to start an argument, just pointing out that all of us need to individually weigh the safety vs convenience aspect of everything we do, whether it's in our own lives or those of our kids.

If you are really going for ultimate safety, you should be putting them in the middle seat in the back. Also, you probably shouldn't be driving them around at all. You could of course then wrap them in bubble wrap for the next 30 years as well.
Not trying to start an argument, just pointing out that all of us need to individually weigh the safety vs convenience aspect of everything we do, whether it's in our own lives or those of our kids.

Using those extremes is just silly. Why use devices in cars that haven’t been tested for safety, especially with children involved? But you are right, your children your safety considerations.

I can yank on the seats all day and they don’t budge. They are snug, the protectors have no impact. Follow what the manufacturer allows and triple check the installs.

Reactions: HyperionMark
We cart our two kids around in a Toyota Matrix and a Toyota Echo even, so I'm not worried. When our kids were pre-teen we did 1000-mile+ road trips in the Echo. People just carry too much stuff around with them these days.
As a kid, my family (two parents, two children) regularly took trips in our 1989 Jetta from British Columbia to LA and Baja California. I even remember doing it with 5 people in the car once. As the youngest, I sat in the middle the whole way. Luggage for 5 people in the trunk on that particular trip and I was 11, my brother and his friend 16. So yeah, it can be done easily. The Model 3 is bigger than our Jetta was. Somehow, we've become convinced that we need SUVs or minivans once kids become involved. If you only have 2 kids, it should be fine.

Last edited:
1-year old twins experience:
- the roof tint is not sufficient on a sunny day, the sunshade is a must. I got myself one from amazon with reflective layer, it made the climate in the back much better. Am now considering a noggle, to provide cool air directly to toddlers, as they are rear-facing.
- I'm 180cm tall, and I fitted combi coccoro behind myself without sacrificing the driver's comfort. Another seat is britax marathon, and it goes on the passenger's side as it necessitates more forward position of the seat in front.
- the trunk+frunk is huge. Haven't needed to pack more than 2-days worth of luggage yet, but always have lots of space to spare. I keep the undertrunk well open, that's where most of the luggage fits, the stroller goes on top of that.

Have a 1 year old and 4 year old
Lower rear trunk - booster seat
Rear trunk - stroller and bicycle
Frunk - many microfibre clothes
Ceramic tint for side windows and rear glass
Front seat back protector
Use seatbelt instead of lower isolatch, so the rear vents is automatic when the kids are there.

I’m 6 ft tall and the car has enough room.
Only awkward part is that putting the 1 year old into the seat require me to put only my arms and baby into the car and look at what I’m doing through the roof glass.

eveything else is awesome.

Ceramic tint on all windows and roof helps a ton with heat.

Current set up is a diono 3RXT seat behind the passenger for the 2 year old and a combi coccoro in the middle for the 8 month old, both rear facing. A third seat, diono, will fit forward facing behind the driver but accessing the middle rear facing seat will be very difficult.

I could not fit a rear facing diono in the middle since I am 6’ 2”. I prefer diono to the coccoro but the coccoro serves its purpose for now.

Note, it’s basically impossible to buckle the seatbelt behind the driver with the middle car seat installed so don’t plan on having anyone sit back there. It is not safe to use a seat belt extender to make it easier.

The following set ups worked for 2 rear facing, 1 forward facing.

Driver side - Diono forward facing
Middle - Coccoro rear facing
Passenger side - Diono rear facing or Graco infant snugride 35 rear facing.

Circumstances have me re-evaluating my Model 3 reservation. For those with young kids, or those expecting -- how do you anticipate the size of the M3 will work for you?

Also, for those with the model S as well...how does the sunroof work out for kids with rear facing carseats? is the tinting enough where the sun isn't a b!tch?

This wouldn't be the primary family car, but will need to accomodate kids so for the next 5-8 years so i want to make sure it's a good fit. I'm confident in the safety of the car, but could use some wisdom on the joys and struggles of having kids and driving a sedan. Thanks!

model 3 is a huge car by european standards. you will be fine.

I've had my Model 3 for a year now. My daughter just turned 8. Her booster seat was a smidge too wide so it didn't fit totally flush in the seat but it wasn't a big deal. With that being said our ICE Infiniti QX-80 has only gotten 3,000 miles in the last year. We take the 3 everywhere.