Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 60 on a Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was a long thread with much speculation about this, and maybe someone posted actual results. I don't know for sure but probably. If you supercharge it to 100% and it finishes in less than an hour then yes, you can charge to 100% every day. The last few percent can take a half hour on a range charge, even on a supercharger. It actually tapers to single digit kW. You shouldn't see that happen if the top of the battery is restricted.

Someone on here messaged me at a supercharger with a new 60 and it charged to 100% from 43% in 29min. Slowest charge rate was 109A as it hit 100%. I like that!

OP: I would go 60 and try it. We decided that since 99% of our driving is around home. Occasional few trips a year supercharging won't be a big deal. It seems fun too, hopping to free charge points and getting to stretch and meet other kooky owners like ourselves You can always upgrade to the bigger battery!

Reactions: DrManhattan
Our 3+ year old 60 now has just over 53k miles… About 10k of those are from road trips. Biggest trip was ~4200 miles from AZ to BC and back 2 summers ago. We're repeating that trip this summer (although taking a different route -- will only visit 4 of the same Superchargers from last time). We've done day trips within AZ -- up to Flagstaff for sledding and down to Tucson and back. We've done trips off the Supercharger highway, most recently up to Page/Lake Powell and Monument Valley.

And my 60 is a Classic -- so I don't have the option to upgrade the battery (well, without physically replacing it, which Tesla will do). Charging past ~160 rated miles really slows down due to the taper , and the last 20 miles to 100% takes close to half an hour. But its no biggie and I don't regret not ordering an 85 at the time ($8k extra considering I had to pay for Supercharging…). Our average Supercharger stop is about 45 min (average of 66 Supercharger visits) -- perhaps 15 min longer than in an 85 or 90 where we wouldn't need to charge into the taper as much.

As for battery life… A 100% charge is now 192-195 miles (I've seen both in the last few months…). 2 years ago it was 199. New it was 208. 90% now charges to 172-173 vs ~184 new (and 90% charges fluctuate a bit with battery balance -- I've seen as low as 166, although that was a couple years ago).

I also suggest playing around with EV Trip Planner -- its a great site. I'd recommend setting the speed factor to 1.1 and approximating the temp for the season. That has given me extremely good results -- usually coming within 2 rated miles, and I typically drive about 5 over the limit on the interstates...

I had an original 60 with 53k miles. After those miles I got 192 miles on a full charge. That said, I drove it all over the Northwest and Southwest. Phoenix to LA and Phoenix to Vegas were trips I did many times. Range was never an issue. The longest run was something like 150 miles. With ev trip planner I just planned a good buffer, drove within it and was fine. A bigger battery would have reduced my charging time, but probably not the number of stops (especially with kids). I do these road trips once or twice per year and saving a few hours per year wasn't worth many thousands of dollars.

So, I decided to replace the 60. At first, I was like.. 90D! Then I said nah.. that's kinda price.. 75! Then the 60 came out and I looked at the numbers and trip patterns again and guess what I got. At least with the new 60 charging to 210 I get almost 20 extra miles. :)

Comment a aside:

I see a lot of people worrying about range when doing road trips.

One thing I noticed though here in the US.. Rental cars are often so cheap that when traveling distances of 500 miles or more you will often save money by renting a car as opposed to driving your own car.

That of course depend on how long you leave but for week end / extended week end trips.. There are some very good deals.

Think of it this way.. You re paying $100 grand for a model S.. We know maintenance can be expensive and reliability is a problem. It's unlikely to be a car that will be driven as much as a Prius for instance. That 1,000 mile trip likely use .75 percent or 1 percent of the car.. That's a lot of money... Way way more money than most rentals.

Examples: I often rent cars for 20 or $30 a day.. Got a premium last week for $49 for 2 days.. Got a 3 series for 60 for a week end a few weeks ago. Co workers rented SUVs for less than $100 for 3 days to travel to Grand Canyon on 4th July week end.

• Disagree
Reactions: Dwdnjck
Someone on here messaged me at a supercharger with a new 60 and it charged to 100% from 43% in 29min. Slowest charge rate was 109A as it hit 100%. I like that!
Wow, that's great! One of my reasons for choosing 85 was battery longevity, as I plan to keep mine a long time. Today, I'd definitely order a 60. As long as you can keep it out of the bottom 10% for the most part, that battery will last a long time too.

So if you supercharge (unpaired) the new 60 from 0 to 100%, it'd take 45-50 minutes. My 85 would take closer to 90 minutes.

Hey @rickrickrick I'm over in Havertown, did you use the in car trip planner for your trip? My first trip when my 60D is delivered will be down to Williamsburg, VA. I plan to do Newark, Woodbridge and Glen Allen along the way. Certainly will add time to the trip, but I'm looking forward to autopiloting most of the way.

I have been telling the hotels I go to that Tesla will give them two chargers. The hotel is responsible for the Instalation. You might want to give the hotel, or condo on your route and at your destination a heads up. Maybe, they can have one there before you arrive.

John

Reactions: callmesam
A good ballpark is, Tesla claimed range ~ which you will loose 5 miles from in the first 5k miles.
Calculate 90% of that - that's your best case on a daily basis.
And calculate 90% of that.

So .. S60 = 210, 205 after some use, 183 mi on tap at 90%, that's very ideal conditions, so in winter more like 150.
And you'll never want to hit the last 10 just to be safe.

I wonder about that. Will the false S60 loose range like the true S60 ? There will be spare kWh to use, Tesla could keep it at 60kWh for a while until the effective 75 becomes 60.

I wonder about that. Will the false S60 loose range like the true S60 ? There will be spare kWh to use, Tesla could keep it at 60kWh for a while until the effective 75 becomes 60.

Wishful thinking at best. While tesla could do that, they have zero reason or incentive to spend their research $, in providing you with a feature, that will dissaude you from paying more for the battery that already have in possession but refuse to use.

Wishful thinking at best. While tesla could do that, they have zero reason or incentive to spend their research $, in providing you with a feature, that will dissaude you from paying more for the battery that already have in possession but refuse to use.

Not really. How will they calculate it? by kWh available, or by kWh unavailable. I suspect the latter but we will have to wait and see.

You will have no range anxiety, and the 60 does absolutely fine with the superchargers. Take it from all of us 60 owners that post every time someone post a question about the 60 - you will not have any issues. The software limited 75-to-60 battery is even better. If you have extra money lying around, then sure get the bigger battery. But it isn't really needed.

Also, I have over 104,000 miles logged now, and no material degradation can be seen.

Hey @rickrickrick I'm over in Havertown, did you use the in car trip planner for your trip? My first trip when my 60D is delivered will be down to Williamsburg, VA. I plan to do Newark, Woodbridge and Glen Allen along the way. Certainly will add time to the trip, but I'm looking forward to autopiloting most of the way.

Before the trip we used evtripplanner.com

During the trip we had Waze up on the phone and the also had the Tesla navy going. We charged until the trip planner said we had enough to continue the trip but the logic freaked out a few times after we departed. Specifically we would be a few miles away from the Supercharger with plenty of charge and then it would try to route is back to the supercharger we just left. That was just annoying.

If Laurenis operational before your trip see if you are able to substitute that for Woodbridge as that stop was congested both times.

I love my autopilot :). It made the drive sooo much easier than the "old" days.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I'm debating used 85D versus new 60D. My main concern is road trip range. EVtripplanner shows that the 85D could skip Superchargers that I couldn't skip in a 60D. In the northern US & southern Canada where Superchargers are currently very rare, the extra battery capacity could save about 450 miles by allowing us to take a more direct route. I expect that to be addressed with time, but currently it is a challenge. I posted a thread about my other considerations here if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks!

Before the trip we used evtripplanner.com

During the trip we had Waze up on the phone and the also had the Tesla navy going. We charged until the trip planner said we had enough to continue the trip but the logic freaked out a few times after we departed. Specifically we would be a few miles away from the Supercharger with plenty of charge and then it would try to route is back to the supercharger we just left. That was just annoying.

If Laurenis operational before your trip see if you are able to substitute that for Woodbridge as that stop was congested both times.

I love my autopilot :). It made the drive sooo much easier than the "old" days.

Ah, the infamous crappy nav system. Alright, I plan to check the route on evtripplanner before we go. If I remember right Laurel is very close to being open. If it is by end of August I'll plan to hit that instead of Woodbridge. Thanks for the info!

A week ago I read an article about the battery comparison between the new 60 and the 75 model. Since the 60 is software limited from a 75 battery, whenever you charge the battery, you should theoretically hit 100% at maximum amp without slowing down on last 10%% charge. And as the charge cycles clock up, you only wear the battery where you will never use. Unless Tesla also simulate the battery wear by software, you should maintain the range as new in few years time!

S60 vs S75
tesla s 60.jpg