Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 90D vs P100D - Which to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went through a similar thought process - p100d or 90d? The bottom line is the P is good for one thing only; bragging rights. You'll likely have the fastest car in your circle of friends, and all your buddies will line up for that thrill-ride launch. Once.

It's all launch, though. Nothing else about the P100D will impress a car person.

In my case, I opted for the 90d, and will use the 40k to buy a proper track car (used lotus? Ariel atom? A noble? Shopping around is half the fun!) and get the best of both worlds, and instead of commuting at 10mph in a 2.4 second commuter boat, I get to commute in a 4s commuter boat and daydream about what corner-blasting 2 seated track toy I'll spend the 40k I save on.

Or maybe a decent performance sailboat... how much does a J24 cost anyway?
This is where my mind keeps taking me. It's not going to corner any better, plus the car is huge so where in LA could I use that performance? Probably not even getting on the freeway as I'd likely rear end someone. Sounds like the price is as ludicrous as the speed.

I drove the P100D today and it just didn't win me over enough to part with that much money. I know I said the issue was settled but I had to be 100% sure. I've got a $118,000 90D on order so I'm already at some serious money not to consider going whole hog, the consensus here seems right which is stick with my order,

I had a P85D and upgraded to a P100D, I have found the upgrade to be worth the expense. The car is effortless and the battery is designed slightly differently which makes cold weather driving better, more regen than my previous car. I have not driven the P90D so I can't compare. I would drive both and then make your decision. Good luck, it's a great problem to have.

So because I can't let it go I am letting fate decide. My end of line production date is March 6th. Should my 90D get delayed even by a day I've identified an inventory P100D as a back up and given my SA written permission to switch my order should a delay occur. Because of the planned 1 week shutdown it might happen.

In terms of the 90Ds specs (I too have never driven one) the 90D is an exact match up with the current M5 0-60 and most of the M cars. It is an exact match with the panamera and very close to the S7. All performance cars. The P100D is obviously in a class of it own because like many super cars it's fast in a straight line but couldn't be a track car like most super cars

P100D all the way. If the choice was between a 100D and a P100D I might reconsider. But the increased range, faster supercharging, and incredible acceleration between the P100D and the 90D I think are worth it. You will notice the most difference in higher speed passing ability. I've never heard anyone regret getting the bigger battery.

I previously owned an 85D and I cannot be happier with my P car. I would find it very difficult to go back!

Good luck!

it's true that the 0-60 acceleration of the 90D is very goods and certainly more than adequate for all practical purposes. for me, i have to admit i enjoy the bragging rights have having, bar none, the quickest production car ever made. it's the top, all time. (at least for now :) ) it kinda feels like owning a piece of history. while the 90D is a wonderful car, i wouldn't feel the same way with it.

in more practical terms, the thing that really separates the P100D from all other Tesla models is acceleration at highway speeds. Floor it at 70mph and you are going 90 before you can blink. every other model tapers off in acceleration after 60. the P100D acceleration remains ludicrous even on the highway.

just my opinion, and i'm sure you'll be thrilled with either car. :)

Reactions: sdorn
Before you do this, evaluate how much money you would actually be saving and how much time you would be wasting. Convert that into $/hour and it's probably below minimum wage. The Burbank SC also tends to be crowded, so include wait-in-line time in that calculation. And subtract the cost of Starbucks from the money saved.
Supercharger - Burbank

The ability to charge at home and always have a full battery without stopping off anywhere is a major benefit. When people ask how long my car takes to charge, I say "10 seconds. 5 to plug in at night, and 5 to unplug in the morning." Don't turn those 10 seconds into an hour.
That and you'd eventually get slapped for using the Supercharger so close from your home. That is what's called "local supercharging" and it defeats the purpose of the Superchargers, which is long distance driving.

• Disagree
Reactions: sdorn and P100DHG.
So on the very last day before I lost my deposit I switched my order to a P100D. I can't imagine it's a wise financial decision but then again a Tesla isn't a wise financial decision. A Prius is a wise financial decision.

The car is a piece of art we all get that as Model S owners and we should be proud to own a piece of American art. The P100D has a distinction of being an engineering marvel. I'm excited to own a piece of history

So on the very last day before I lost my deposit I switched my order to a P100D. I can't imagine it's a wise financial decision but then again a Tesla isn't a wise financial decision. A Prius is a wise financial decision.

The car is a piece of art we all get that as Model S owners and we should be proud to own a piece of American art. The P100D has a distinction of being an engineering marvel. I'm excited to own a piece of history

Congrats!!! You will not regret it. The P100D is truly a historic piece of machinery. Quickest production car ever tested by Motor Trend, first 100 kWh battery, and pushed electric cars well into the 300+ miles category (90D barely made it). It's really the best daily driver ever made. Its an efficient Prius, an SUV, a tank, and a Supercar all in one.

Congrats!!! You will not regret it. The P100D is truly a historic piece of machinery. Quickest production car ever tested by Motor Trend, first 100 kWh battery, and pushed electric cars well into the 300+ miles category (90D barely made it). It's really the best daily driver ever made. Its an efficient Prius, an SUV, a tank, and a Supercar all in one.

Honey, my radiologist told me to buy a P100D - he pointed out what a great value it is, and so versatile.

In all seriousness I want one quite badly and have good use for it - but I can't wrap my head around the depreciation, despite writing off the business miles. Going into my second S in two years this month - when I can get a one owner P100D for $100K I may just snatch it. As is they are still $130K after rebate and $15K inventory discount. I'd pay $130K if I thought I'd keep it 10 years and 300K miles like other cars I've had - but the pace of change is so fast now and what I really want is to go to sleep on 300-500 mile drives around the American west and great plains. I have a feeling lidar is coming soon.

If I had a net worth $50M+ I wouldn't care about the depreciation rate. But until I get to that big of a "F*ck You" net worth, $2K+ per month depreciation still makes my eyes water.

In all seriousness I want one quite badly and have good use for it - but I can't wrap my head around the depreciation, despite writing off the business miles. Going into my second S in two years this month - when I can get a one owner P100D for $100K I may just snatch it. As is they are still $130K after rebate and $15K inventory discount.

Your first mistake is using your head :)

I have such a hard time with opportunity cost of capital and time value of money. They really spoil my parade. In 2005 I paid $77K+ tax for a CPO E55 AMG. Yes I had a blast with it for 12 years. On the other hand I think: "I could've bought a nice C class for $30K. 11 years later the $44K would've doubled twice. Now I'd have $160K I don't have. That $160K should be making 20-30% cash on cash right now in a distressed manufactured housing portfolio. That's $32K / year. That 2004 E55 I no longer own will cost me $32K / year minimum for the rest of my life.

Then I get depressed. Poor me. I'll make do with an inventory 60 with ventilated seats this year. Boo hoo.

I have such a hard time with opportunity cost of capital and time value of money. They really spoil my parade. In 2005 I paid $77K+ tax for a CPO E55 AMG. Yes I had a blast with it for 12 years. On the other hand I think: "I could've bought a nice C class for $30K. 11 years later the $44K would've doubled twice. Now I'd have $160K I don't have. That $160K should be making 20-30% cash on cash right now in a distressed manufactured housing portfolio. That's $32K / year. That 2004 E55 I no longer own will cost me $32K / year minimum for the rest of my life.

Then I get depressed. Poor me. I'll make do with an inventory 60 with ventilated seats this year. Boo hoo.

And if life were infinite in length, then your logic would be without flaw. However...

So I got a CPO/ Inventory car/ demo/ test drive car. Had 1000 miles on it. Came with a discount.

I got the P100D because in my area I'm surrounded by Teslas, but I almost never see one like mine. I think the car is overpriced, but I feel less insecure now.

A plus for you should be that your AP will work right away, whereas my "cameras are calibrating" and have been for 2 weeks.

Reactions: e-FTW