Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S and Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got this from Tesla March Update email

Model S and Model 3

From the beginning, our goal at Tesla has been to produce cars without compromise.
Later this year, we will introduce Model 3 – a smaller, simpler and more affordable version of our flagship: Model S. With more range, more acceleration, more power, more interior space and more customization choices, Model S will continue to feature the very best in Tesla technology.

Received the same. Most is all old information except for the part that states that the model S has more configuration options. That was largely expected, however this is our first official confirmation

It's important to note that the model s doesn't even have that many configuration options relatively, and it has been a point of criticism, Esp as of late when they reduced interior options. Bottom line: expect a whole lot of complaining on this forum once the configuration comes out and there are only a handful of ways to really customize your car :)

Somehow they need to figure out what other manufacturers have figured out... how to have a lineup that doesn't compete with itself. BMW and Mercedes don't seem to have a problem selling 3-series / C-class alongside 5-series / E-class cars. The overlap between these isn't trivial, but the size does cause different shoppers to prefer one over the other.

Their bigger issue may be the Model 3 competing with a used Model S... personally, I prefer smaller cars so am waiting for the 3, but if they really downgrade it (not that the S is loaded with luxury), then I'll be shopping used. Heck, it would be nice to get a side-by-side before they discontinue the Model S 60 option, but that's not happening.

Somehow they need to figure out what other manufacturers have figured out... how to have a lineup that doesn't compete with itself... BMW..

I think you're missing the point. They do have a lineup that competes with itself, sizewise. The BMW 3 series GT is the same size as the 5 series Sedan (and very close to the Model S in size), and it has the among Tesla followers beloved hatchback which the 5 series Sedan doesn't. And yet people still buy the 5 series Sedan because it offers some things that the 320 GT doesn't. Nicer interior, better soundproofing... And then they of course have the 5 series GT, the list goes on. Small subtle differences that is enough to make some people choose the more expensive car.

That works in a mature market, electric cars aren't there yet. Just notice all the comparisons between the Bolt and the Model 3, two completely different type of cars. No one would have brought up these two cars in the same sentence if they weren't electric.

I am sure tesla would love to sell 400,000 model S and X per year but that isnt a reality at those price points. Tesla is making sure of that by removing the S60D! They need the model 3 to compete with the BMW 3 and 5 series cars. There will always be a little stretch buying when a customer could purchase either model they want to S or 3, however I think it's obvious tesla is really missing out on the 35-70k car buyers, model 3 fixes this issue for them. If I was BMW or Mercedes I would be losing a lot of sleep. The D and P model 3 when it eventually comes out will really drive the nail deep.

Reactions: voltage and maekuz
I think the difference between the German brands and Tesla is Tesla managed to get quite a few people to buy a car that is outside of their comfort zone because it is a really compelling electric car. Now that there is a new electric car that might be just as compelling for these types of people it would be expected that Tesla would lose some Model S sales to the Model 3. This doesn't apply to folks moving from high end cars like Panamera, 7 series or A7 moving to Model S but it does apply to your average upper middle class software geek or business guy who wants electric.

I do think that some of us on the fence for stretching for a Model S are now excited for the Model 3 to come out because it is more in our comfort zone. For me if the electric cars were still Leaf's, Volts, Prius, or i3 without Tesla in the mix I probably would be shopping for a new near-lux Japanese car.

Received the same. Most is all old information except for the part that states that the model S has more configuration options. That was largely expected, however this is our first official confirmation

It's important to note that the model s doesn't even have that many configuration options relatively, and it has been a point of criticism, Esp as of late when they reduced interior options. Bottom line: expect a whole lot of complaining on this forum once the configuration comes out and there are only a handful of ways to really customize your car :)

I just did the math on now many different configurations option the Model S has. I did not count the Autopilot, Full Self Driving and the software limited batteries as they are produced the same. You have roughly 60,480 different ways to configure the Model S.

Reactions: labfm
I wish we didn't have to speculate as to why Tesla and Elon keep trying to get Model 3 reservationist to buy a Model S.

I simply can't afford a Model S - or I would have bought one already.

Why is Tesla and all of its billionaires thinking that we reservationists only have to make a "decision" to choose one car over the other? I just don't get why they don't see that its a matter of money.

Is something else going on? I've got my "trailing stop loss" order in on my stocks just in case Tesla comes out and says something like. "We will only be able to produce 10 model 3's per month" or something like that.

For goodness sake - it was Tesla/Elon that said that the primary goal was to advance the movement of sustainable transport.....or something like that. WE ARE READY TESLA. Lets Go with the Model 3.

I am sure tesla would love to sell 400,000 model S and X per year but that isnt a reality at those price points. Tesla is making sure of that by removing the S60D! They need the model 3 to compete with the BMW 3 and 5 series cars. There will always be a little stretch buying when a customer could purchase either model they want to S or 3, however I think it's obvious tesla is really missing out on the 35-70k car buyers, model 3 fixes this issue for them. If I was BMW or Mercedes I would be losing a lot of sleep. The D and P model 3 when it eventually comes out will really drive the nail deep.
The problem is that the Model 3 will not be able to compete with the BMW 3 and 5 series in features according to Elon and Tesla's latest tweets.

"Model 3 is smaller, simpler, and will come with far fewer options than Model S"
"while innovation at Tesla will never stop, the very best vehicles we make are already available for purchase and on the road today."

So if the Model S is Tesla's benchmark... then how much less is the Model 3 than the Model S that would allow the Model 3 to compete with the BMW 3 and 5 series?

Last edited:
Reactions: Big-T and gowthamn
I wish we didn't have to speculate as to why Tesla and Elon keep trying to get Model 3 reservationist to buy a Model S.

I simply can't afford a Model S - or I would have bought one already.

Why is Tesla and all of its billionaires thinking that we reservationists only have to make a "decision" to choose one car over the other? I just don't get why they don't see that its a matter of money.

Is something else going on? I've got my "trailing stop loss" order in on my stocks just in case Tesla comes out and says something like. "We will only be able to produce 10 model 3's per month" or something like that.

For goodness sake - it was Tesla/Elon that said that the primary goal was to advance the movement of sustainable transport.....or something like that. WE ARE READY TESLA. Lets Go with the Model 3.
I don't think we need to speculate at all. I think they simply would rather have people buy the model S right now because they make more money on them and it reduces the queue waiting for the model 3. Sure they realize that, in a lot of cases, it is mostly a financial decision, but there are probably a large number of people that could have gone either way and those are the ones they were targeting.

Reactions: ApauloThirteen
I don't think we need to speculate at all. I think they simply would rather have people buy the model S right now because they make more money on them and it reduces the queue waiting for the model 3. Sure they realize that, in a lot of cases, it is mostly a financial decision, but there are probably a large number of people that could have gone either way and those are the ones they were targeting.
Whoaah...Your whole response is speculating. ??

I really hope they don't "dumb down" Model 3 to the point of taking away optional features like adjustable lumbar support for driver's seat, seat position memory, or heated steering wheel. I'd rather see them distinguish the S/X from the 3 with maybe 10% better performance and range, luxury features like better leather, interior lighting package, Summon, power liftgate, etc. Also, they can roll out new EAP/FSD software features on the S/X first, and wait a couple months for Model 3.

Reactions: Zaphod
I really hope they don't "dumb down" Model 3 to the point of taking away optional features like adjustable lumbar support for driver's seat, seat position memory, or heated steering wheel. I'd rather see them distinguish the S/X from the 3 with maybe 10% better performance and range, luxury features like better leather, interior lighting package, Summon, power liftgate, etc. Also, they can roll out new EAP/FSD software features on the S/X first, and wait a couple months for Model 3.

I totally agree. I'm also quite perplexed at Tesla's and Elon's continual anti-selling of the 3. I understand the argument to push people into an S or X now instead, but I just don't see that many of those people out there who haven't already done that. Did anyone really think the 3 was going to be a true next-gen car as to replace an S, technology and feature-wise? For half the starting price? Some of these ridiculous articles make it come off like this was so. I am well aware that if there is to be feature parity (or close) that it will come at a price and am one of the presumed minority that wants that.

I'm not cancelling my reservation anytime soon until I see final complete design and hopefully sit/drive one, but I'm becoming increasingly torn if a 3 will be the car for me.

It's fine Tesla trying to keep the Model S income generating machine going but in my book Model 3 IS the next generation car simply because it was a fresh attempt at Tesla EV design from ground up.

I honestly think this has all been blown out-of-proportion. It's only logical that the Model S is and will remain the brand flagship (until the new Roadster). All this wishful thinking that the Performance Model 3 will have a sub-2-second 0-60, etc., etc. is just delusional. I fully expect the Model 3 to be competitive with the Audi A4 and BMW 3 Series. The top-spec performance models may have a sub-4-second 0-60, and will be priced accordingly...probably $65k+.

I'm coming from a midsized sedan originally priced in the high 20s. I'm sure compared to that, the Model 3 will be a wonder of refinement and technology. Yes, I have briefly driven a Model S, and was impressed by it. If I had the means, I'd own a P100D, but I don't. I'm just an average working stiff that makes an average (probably below-average for my area) salary. Whatever I can afford in the low-mid 40s, I'm sure I'll be happy with.