Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery Dates and Sequencing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My DES, Lee Holycross, is not going to be here for the delivery. He's flying in on Wed. Morning and I'll get me tour that day. Can do my best to record the "show". I'm not the best videographer (my talents are more in still work), but I'll do what I can.

C'mon, livestream it! Livestream - Live Video Tools, Everything you need to live stream video Or just post whatever, will be great to see your excitement no matter what!

I've booked a few friends who are going to film our delivery. I'll be way too excited to do it justice. Expect to be hoping around and doing happy dances with my 3 year old for at least a few hours.

Well, I paid for my car today, but a quick call to my DS reveals it's not yet completed production. It's also before the stage where they have good visibility into it's current status. I'm guessing that means it's near the end of the line, but not yet ready for testing. Unless I'm way off on my estimation for production times, I believe that should be at some point this week.

Overall, I'm being given reasonable estimates and realistic expectations, which is good. They said the window for delivery was 30 days from getting the delivery email and filling out the survey on the MyTesla site. That fits within my date range of 12/8-12/22. With any luck, I'll have the car in 2-3 weeks.

Well, I paid for my car today, but a quick call to my DS reveals it's not yet completed production. It's also before the stage where they have good visibility into it's current status. I'm guessing that means it's near the end of the line, but not yet ready for testing. Unless I'm way off on my estimation for production times, I believe that should be at some point this week.

Overall, I'm being given reasonable estimates and realistic expectations, which is good. They said the window for delivery was 30 days from getting the delivery email and filling out the survey on the MyTesla site. That fits within my date range of 12/8-12/22. With any luck, I'll have the car in 2-3 weeks.

Hmmmm....pre-emptive paying for the car may get the tax credit sooner rather than later... :)
Of course I haven't gotten the delivery email yet...I should give up the ghost and resign myself to a 2013 delivery.

For folks not getting 85kwh systems with air, here's some good information I just received:
We are actively ramping up production of Model S and now have a clear timeline regarding when certain options will begin production. You are receiving this update because you have ordered a Model S with an option that was not available at start of production.

This email covers production timing for 60 kWh cars, 40 kWh cars, Standard (Coil) Suspension and the new 2013 Red multi-coat exterior paint.

60 kWh cars will begin production in January 2013. Deliveries will begin in January/early February.

40 kWh cars will begin production in March 2013. Deliveries will begin in March/early April.

Our original plan was to deliver 5,000 Model S in 2012. In our November letter to shareholders, we reduced our 2012 plan to between 2,500 and 3,000 while reaffirming 20,000 deliveries in 2013. This basically "shifted" our production ramp back about two months for all options not available at start of production. Our original plan was to begin production of 60 kWh cars in November, 40 kWh cars and Standard (Coil) Suspension in January, and new Red exterior paint in March. Our current production ramp takes this original plan and shifts each item back approximately two months except for the new Red.

Below is the current Production Sequencing Timeline for 2013:

60 kWh Model S with Active Air Suspension will phase into production in January 2013

40 kwh Model S will phase into production in March 2013

40, 60 and 85 kWh cars with Standard Suspension will begin production in March 2013

2013 Red multi-coat paint will begin production in March 2013 (no change from original plan)

Once we begin producing Model S with each option, your sequence number and order date will determine your placement in the build schedule. We will be producing about 400 cars per week as each option phases into production, so cars will flow fairly quickly once production of a particular option begins.

We will continue to provide regular updates regarding these options as each gets closer to phasing into production. We have not done a great job at all in the past regarding communication on these items. I fully acknowledge our shortfall in this area. We now have a much better understanding of what it will take to bring each of these options into production and will do a much better job of communicating about them going forward. Rest assured we will move as quickly as possible on each item.

We will be announcing 60 kWh 5-cycle EPA range certification soon. This puts us on track for a January start of 60 kWh Model S production.

Thank you for your Model S order. We are looking forward to building your Model S.

George Blankenship

Glad to see my thought of "I should get this active air suspension" had a plus influence on when my Model S will be manufactured.

Great news Tim, It took me a week after testing to get my car.

The IRS has been making it clear that the year the credit counts is whenever the car enters service, aka whenever you're able to drive it. So, for me, I have to have it at my door on or before 12/31, which is very likely right now.

You may have an out here, since you're paying Tesla directly for the car and not buying it through them in state, the in-service date may be considered to be the date it's delivered to you or your agent, which in this case would be the third party shipping company that Tesla is delivering the car to in CA so that they can deliver it to you in GA. The screwed up Georgia dealer laws may benefit you here.

As always, this advice is worth what you paid for it, so please do check with a tax attorney and/or accountant before acting on it.

Big congrats Evan! @mcornwell my config is perf blue with cf and grey wheels. No word yet but hopefully soon! I'm P1117 @outsider so it looks like you'll soon be seeing your newborn! We'll have to meet up when I get mine!

P1117 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk