Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery Issues and Communication Concerns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They've known I ordered CF for 5 months and according to GB's email in October, the 28 cars were supposed to be a priority. There have been plenty of cars with CF delivered to reservation holders with sequence numbers after ours. Point being, there are other factors involved here and there are various paths to completion. It is going to remain a mystery.

They've known I ordered CF for 5 months and according to GB's email in October, the 28 cars were supposed to be a priority. There have been plenty of cars with CF delivered to reservation holders with sequence numbers after ours. Point being, there are other factors involved here and there are various paths to completion. It is going to remain a mystery.

Maybe they ordered from Carbon One? Ducks and runs...

One of the things that keeps knawing at me regarding speculation that perf. models are being held up due to shortages of carbon fiber or wheels is that I recall Elon being specifically asked about shortages and supplier issues at the recent event in NYC. And as I recall he said (pretty definitively) that he did not foresee any supplier or shortage issues that should be in their way as they move towards year end production. How could they now within a week or two be having such shortages? That really makes me wonder if there isn't something else at work here. Would really be nice if George B. would just address this before it becomes another total crazy maker for all of us Tesla addicts just sitting here anxiously awaiting our fix!

One of the things that keeps knawing at me regarding speculation that perf. models are being held up due to shortages of carbon fiber or wheels is that I recall Elon being specifically asked about shortages and supplier issues at the recent event in NYC. And as I recall he said (pretty definitively) that he did not foresee any supplier or shortage issues that should be in their way as they move towards year end production. How could they now within a week or two be having such shortages? That really makes me wonder if there isn't something else at work here. Would really be nice if George B. would just address this before it becomes another total crazy maker for all of us Tesla addicts just sitting here anxiously awaiting our fix!
The manufacturing issues may be addressed, but they haven't yet caught up with the backlog. I'm figuring the next month will be chaos in terms of sequencing and we'll only start to see whether things smooth out after that.

Well, Elon's remark may have been limited to things which would hold up production completely, which is not the case here. Also, it may be just a temporary shortage which didn't exist 2 weeks ago and will not exist in 2 weeks, so just affecting how they batch things. I suppose Tesla doesn't want customer's to worry about such shortages, since if they start trying to change their orders accordingly, things get totally messed up.

Well, Elon's remark may have been limited to things which would hold up production completely, which is not the case here. Also, it may be just a temporary shortage which didn't exist 2 weeks ago and will not exist in 2 weeks, so just affecting how they batch things. I suppose Tesla doesn't want customer's to worry about such shortages, since if they start trying to change their orders accordingly, things get totally messed up.

I agree, and that's likely one of the reasons they've been so tight-lipped on all their issue to date. Would be nice to at least reach out to those affected and explain (though I guess they might be worried they'd come share here).

Yep. From what I can tell it's just a slowdown on CF cars, not a stoppage. They're still being produced just at a lower rate than they were ordered so Tesla is going deeper into the reservation list for non-CF cars to keep the line running at full speed.

I fear I may have stumbled into a parallel universe.

Me too:

photo 1.JPG

cross-posted from the currently-broken delivery update thread. Expected here by the end of next week.

By the way, the communication was unsolicited. *waves to Seneca*

I agree, and that's likely one of the reasons they've been so tight-lipped on all their issue to date. Would be nice to at least reach out to those affected and explain (though I guess they might be worried they'd come share here).

It's a risk they should have taken. IMHO, they couldn't communicate enough with people in your position, and you are entitled to as much brutal honesty as possible from Tesla -- that's the very least that they owe you.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently I broke that thread by posting the picture of my car that Seneca sent me. He is working darn hard this week.

I'm confused -- I was on a business trip to Chicago and Seneca invited me to the Chicago service center. My flight ended up delayed and I couldn't get there last evening, but how is he in Chicago and Fremont at the same time?!?! Did Elon already create the Hyperloop, or are your cars in Chicago?!

Anyway, kudos to Seneca and Neil and the others who have really taken ownership of the communication issues and done everything they can to remedy the situation. I hope Tesla knows how lucky it is to have employees like that going way above and beyond the call of duty. I randomly emailed Neil a question a couple of hours before all hell broke loose with the e-mails to Rs and Ps about their cars being ready for delivery, and he managed to answer my question waaaaaay after hours. I never would have bothered him if I knew the barrage of questions he'd face that night. :redface:

I'm confused -- I was on a business trip to Chicago and Seneca invited me to the Chicago service center. My flight ended up delayed and I couldn't get there last evening, but how is he in Chicago and Fremont at the same time?!?! Did Elon already create the Hyperloop, or are your cars in Chicago?!

Anyway, kudos to Seneca and Neil and the others who have really taken ownership of the communication issues and done everything they can to remedy the situation. I hope Tesla knows how lucky it is to have employees like that going way above and beyond the call of duty. I randomly emailed Neil a question a couple of hours before all hell broke loose with the e-mails to Rs and Ps about their cars being ready for delivery, and he managed to answer my question waaaaaay after hours. I never would have bothered him if I knew the barrage of questions he'd face that night. :redface:
He forwarded the photo to me from someone in Fremont. I believe Seneca is still working out of Chicago.

He forwarded the photo to me from someone in Fremont. I believe Seneca is still working out of Chicago.

Darn it! I was half hoping they'd secretly invented the Hyperloop and Seneca was trying it out between Fremont and Chicago;)

BTW, my iPad just auto-corrected "Hyperloop" my capitalizing it, and then I misspelled it and it corrected spelling and capitalized! If Apple says its real, it must be real.....