Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem for me is, this is the most expensive purchase I have made to date. I like to move around the country, own my own business and WFH and always will, so I have zero interest in a mortgage because where I live the rent is so cheap and it's so convenient to leave when I want. With that, I keep telling myself "this car is going to be old news in 6 months and something better will be out, maybe wait for another Model 3/Y update". Strike 1.

I'm starting to think about all the things that could go wrong with the Model S, knowing how Tesla's other car launches have gone, even the Model Y with the glass roof flying off. I really hoped that deliveries would have started EOM in Feb, as to afford the EOQ rush, which looks to be the absolute best case scenario right now. That's a big strike 2 for me.

Tesla's inability to implement basic features, such as blind spot monitoring or reliable auto wipers makes me very concerned about the car "guessing" what direction I want to go in. This might be absolutely miserable and do I want to be one of the first test pilots? I'm less and less sure each day. Elon could avoid my imagination running wild if he would show us a demo video, but he hasn't, even after he said he would over a month ago. Big strike 3.

All of this said, I'm giving them 3-5 business days for an update and then I'm cancelling and probably going with a 3/Y or perhaps another car until they get the kinks worked out.
Am sure you're not the first - certainly not the last.

Elon's problem... this time around... Mach E's and ID4's and other alternatives are starting to pop up like Spring daisies.

Lots of buyers are going to cross-shop.

Tesla / Elon = Hubris.

Not to be a jerk, but half of these analogies make no sense. When a flight is delayed it isn't usually weeks and often they tell you why. Ford just gave their customers free charging and some $1,000 for delays with the Mach E. When has Tesla done that? Also Ford actually announced delays and addressed them, unlike Tesla.

These kinds of things are reminding me all of the downsides of Tesla as a company. Either it's pride, scared of the over-inflated stock price dropping or something else, but I'm sure they have 10,000+ customers waiting on an S that is already 3 weeks delayed from the initial timeline some were given. It's time to man up, address the delay publicly and give us a better timeline (perhaps free supercharging miles as a goodwill might make sense too, though the value doesn't mean a whole lot).

I'm also starting to get offended that Elon couldn't be bothered to take the time to do a presentation on the two new products, one with a base price of $80,000, the other $90,000. It's almost like "meh, we got enough orders, these people are idiots, they will buy whatever we pump out." They have the opportunity to be King of the castle for a very, very long time and they keep ****ing it up, often due to Elon's stubbornness and unwillingness to take feedback or crticism.

If it were software, they'd be pumping these cars out as fast as possible and getting them shipped. People keep talking like the yoke and the regular steering wheel are interchangeable, not sure I see, otherwise they would ship them all right now with a regular steering wheel. My money is still on the lack of a traditional drive stalk and the "guessing" that comes along with it.

Does anyone think Elon really cares a whit about the Model S refresh ?

He just moved to Texas... and is probably is rushing to install some energy walls at his house. Because we all know what an unregulated energy market looks like.

His Space X rockets are blowing up at landing.

He's signing Boring Company projects - which require functioning vehicles to make the tunnels a reality.

He buys Bitcoin - talks up crypto-currencies like they're actually something other than air.

He already whines about his 7 days-a-week work life, about which I can say so much, but should leave for another thread.

So... to circle back... why does anyone think Elon would care about something so pedestrian as the Model S refresh ?

Does anyone think Elon really cares a whit about the Model S refresh ?

He just moved to Texas... and is probably is rushing to install some energy walls at his house. Because we all know what an unregulated energy market looks like.

His Space X rockets are blowing up at landing.

He's signing Boring Company projects - which require functioning vehicles to make the tunnels a reality.

He buys Bitcoin - talks up crypto-currencies like they're actually something other than air.

He already whines about his 7 days-a-week work life, about which I can say so much, but should leave for another thread.

So... to circle back... why does anyone think Elon would care about something so pedestrian as the Model S refresh ?

I think he cares, I just think that he got a little over zealous about some of the functionality/features of the car and now looks like an idiot for once gain over promising and under delivering. I'm more annoyed he can post 2-3 memes a day, but can't type ~20 words "Update: Model S/X refresh, working out some kinks, hoping to green light production in 2-3 weeks". Like, come on bro.

Elon's problem... this time around... Mach E's and ID4's and other alternatives are starting to pop up like Spring daisies.

Lots of buyers are going to cross-shop.

That'd be true if we were talking about the 3/Y. The S has no competitors, those cars aren't in the same league as the S. The only one that comes close is the Taycan/Audi GT and as I mentioned they aren't in the same class either. I test drove the Taycan last year and its far more of a sports car than the family sedan of the S. The back seat and trunk are tiny compared to the S and you need to pay close to double to get the same kind of straight line performance. The handling of the Taycan though is in a whole different league compared to the S.

Reactions: aerodyne
I think he cares, I just think that he got a little over zealous about some of the functionality/features of the car and now looks like an idiot for once gain over promising and under delivering. I'm more annoyed he can post 2-3 memes a day, but can't type ~20 words "Update: Model S/X refresh, working out some kinks, hoping to green light production in 2-3 weeks". Like, come on bro.

My 8 year old is reading Aesop's fables during some Zoom sessions. If he better understood Tesla - I could use the boy who cried wolf analogy to great effect.

Given that - especially since you sound pretty pragmatic - how to believe anything that comes out of Elon's mouth these days ?

• Disagree
Reactions: LargeHamCollider
That'd be true if we were talking about the 3/Y. The S has no competitors, those cars aren't in the same league as the S. The only one that comes close is the Taycan/Audi GT and as I mentioned they aren't in the same class either. I test drove the Taycan last year and its far more of a sports car than the family sedan of the S. The back seat and trunk are tiny compared to the S and you need to pay close to double to get the same kind of straight line performance. The handling of the Taycan though is in a whole different league compared to the S.
You're right... the S doesn't have direct competitors.

But I own one. Elon botched my M3 order, which I then cancelled out of frustration.

I'm holding on to the S for now - but will happily consider a Mach-E or ID 4 when things get ironed out. Volvo C40 and Nissan Ariya are also just around the corner.

Am just hoping the S doesn't implode in the next few months.

• Disagree
Reactions: LargeHamCollider
My 8 year old is reading Aesop's fables during some Zoom sessions. If he better understood Tesla - I could use the boy who cried wolf analogy to great effect.

Given that - especially since you sound pretty pragmatic - how to believe anything that comes out of Elon's mouth these days ?
you must be referring to my previous thread LMAO

Unhappy with FSD sales and pricing

You're right... the S doesn't have direct competitors.

But I own one. Elon botched my M3 order, which I then cancelled out of frustration.

I'm holding on to the S for now - but will happily consider a Mach-E or ID 4 when things get ironed out. Volvo C40 and Nissan Ariya are also just around the corner.

Am just hoping the S doesn't implode in the next few months.

I'm with you on this. I'm giving them until EOD Monday to say anything. That's more than fair. If I don't hear *sugar* by then, I'm cancelling, buying a gently used ICE car and then waiting until Lucid and Rivian are out and buying one of those depending on the reviews/availability. This crap is old. Also, I do miss real blind spot monitoring...

I'm with you on this. I'm giving them until EOD Monday to say anything. That's more than fair. If I don't hear *sugar* by then, I'm cancelling, buying a gently used ICE car and then waiting until Lucid and Rivian are out and buying one of those depending on the reviews/availability. This crap is old. Also, I do miss real blind spot monitoring...
Oops - yep I forgot about Lucid.

My only challenge with those guys -- assuming the car is legit -- the launch model is going to be Plaid territory pricing I think ? I can only handle something more in "base" car territory.

Oops - yep I forgot about Lucid.

My only challenge with those guys -- assuming the car is legit -- the launch model is going to be Plaid territory pricing I think ? I can only handle something more in "base" car territory.

Rivian has two 400 mile range vehicles by Q1 2022. Lucid has one supposedly by Q1 2022 as well.

Hilariously, sounds like both have been delayed 6-9 months, so it's not like they are perfect, but at least they announced it lol.

Last edited:
Patiently waiting and bitching about it also. That’s just me. I get aggravated when a delivery from Amazon is supposed to be delivered at noon and I have to wait 3 hours.

not looking to Elon for order info but isn’t
There someone in charge of auto production and delivery that can make a statement for the company. I don’t expect an event like an Apple announcement. But
Someone should be able to say when they will begin delivering the new S.

it is simply the courteous thing to do for your customers.

Reactions: NOLA21SGuy
I'd say a good thing is that there won't be many Plaids to produce... so once they get started, I'm sure they will pump them all out relatively quickly (if it was pre ordered). Long range will be more but who knows...

And they aren't selling any X's, so the line will be dedicated solely to Model S. I realize demand should be up, but we are still talking about 10,000 or so total cars they need to make. Certainly, 5,000 or so of those can be made and shipped in the next 3 weeks.

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but for those of us with "March" as the timeline, you'd have to think they reasonably expect at this point that is a real possibility. I mean, they've updated the timelines on the website to say 4-11 weeks (it has changed a couple of times) no reason they couldn't do the same for delivery dates.