Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After saying IDGAF earlier in this very thread, I'm getting PPF on the whole car next week. Please ridicule me, because I deserve it.

But also help me decide whether I want 'xpel stealth', which is matte/satin, or normal xpel, which keeps the car glossy. I truly can't decide if the matte look is 'dated' or still looks good.

here's the video that made me consider satin/matte..

react 💡 for gloss
react ❤️ for matte
A friend of mine has this wrap on his black Model 3. It looks super duper awesome when the car is clean and shiny but looks rather dull when the car is not. Sometimes, it looks as if the whole car has been plasti-dipped. This made me shy away and get a clear PPF instead.
However, a stealth PPF looks awesome on a white car, clear or not.

Up to know, I've only driven my 1997 A4 Audi Manual so I'm going to be like Encino Man in this car... I'm watching the videos, reading Omar's great website... What else do I need to do/know before Sunday??
Thx -- reminds me, some sections of that really need an update. To anyone who has gone there recently, is there anything missing that you' like to see covered?

PPF. I live in AZ. Rocks flying everywhere. Front of car and windshield trashed within a year. PPF everything forward facing about 2k. Then a dude comes to house and ceramics the rest of car for 2K. Best window tint 1k. 5K investment on a the 90k + car so it still looks new 5-10 years later. 👍👍
All depends on where you drive, city freeways, high traffic, probably worth it. If your like me and drive mostly open countryside roads with very little high speed, high traffic areas, then I don't see the need.

I've always wondered about the costs for such a job. Do you know the ball park quotes?
It’s location specific. Looks like people in California are getting screwed, high sales tax, high electricity cost, wildfires and this PPF cost. If you were to do all that in Atlanta, it will probably cost less than 6K. I just got a quotes for vinyl wrap for my 3 and they were between 2.8K to 3.3K , higher price for metallic colors

It’s more than that just a protection of the paint. The combination of a good PPF and Ceramic coating will make your car look better than it did when you took delivery and will look the same way for years to come. Thats what you are paying for and for me, well worth it.
That is what wax and wash is for. I know ceramic coating saves time, but at a cost of money. I'll stick to what has worked for me. My 28 year old car had plenty of rock chips, but the paint still looked amazing. Also, I don't plan to sell this car for at least 8 years. At that point rock chips won't decrease the value enough to make the PPF worth it.

That is what wax and wash is for. I know ceramic coating saves time, but at a cost of money. I'll stick to what has worked for me. My 28 year old car had plenty of rock chips, but the paint still looked amazing. Also, I don't plan to sell this car for at least 8 years. At that point rock chips won't decrease the value enough to make the PPF worth it.
Curious to know, how does the paint look amazing despite having 28 years of rock chips? On my other cars, there are around half a dozen rock chips on the front end and makes me cringe every time. Sure as hell, I was not going to repeat the mistake on my new car.
From my personal experience, the paint correction and ceramic coating did make a visible difference and i will be getting it done every two years.

That, I do not know. I've only researched old arachnid sizes/fitment compared to new arachnids.

On a sep note: Old Arachnids were forged (lighter/stronger than cast) and were $2k upgrade.
New Arachnids? Cast (heavier, not as strong as forged) and are a $4500 upgrade...
Looking for weight info on the new aracs. Can you provide a reference?

Correct. From my earlier post

"The "old" arachnids will fit. Will just be a bit narrower than the new arachnids and the rears of yours will sit inward 5mm more. But bolt pattern and bore size is the same from all that I've read."
The rim offset MAY be different on the two rims to place the outside plane in the same location even though one is narrower than the other. If this is the case, a spacer MAY not be needed.

• Helpful
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I am guessing this is OCDetailing since thats the price I got too. There are other reputable shops which will get the job done for less and they will be just as good.
I didn't opt for the full car and went for the full front instead including the A pillars due to 1) cost 2) front is the most high impact area. From my previous experience, I have had rock chips all over the front but not so much on the rest of the body. Avoiding getting rock chips was reason enough for me to not repeat the mistake of not getting one for my other cars.
Yep. They can do just the bra too for much less.
Still getting more Quotes. It seems most Bay Area places do bra only and none do the complete wrap. Likely because it’s 3x the cost.

Yep. They can do just the bra too for much less.
Still getting more Quotes. It seems most Bay Area places do bra only and none do the complete wrap. Likely because it’s 3x the cost.
Try these guys. I know a couple of guys who got their PPF done from this place.

The rim offset MAY be different on the two rims to place the outside plane in the same location even though one is narrower than the other. If this is the case, a spacer MAY not be needed.
Offset is the distance from wheel center to mounting surface. If the new arachnids are 1.5” wider then the centerline is 0.75” off. To be in the same outer plane location, 0.75” additional spacer would be required, not just the 5mm offset difference from old to new. I wouldn’t recommend the old arachnids even if you can get them to mount and clear.

PPF. I live in AZ. Rocks flying everywhere. Front of car and windshield trashed within a year. PPF everything forward facing about 2k. Then a dude comes to house and ceramics the rest of car for 2K. Best window tint 1k. 5K investment on a the 90k + car so it still looks new 5-10 years later. 👍👍
Yeah I was gonna say, come to the southwest, I wish I had done PPF on more vehicles sooner.

I did the ceramic myself for $70, a year later it is holding up very well. I was always a clay/polish/wax guy but the ceramic is working out pretty good. It does nothing for chip prevention but I am pretty good at fixing chips as the occur. Very hard even for me to tell where the chips are/were. In 10 years if it gets bad I will just wrap the whole car.

I emailed my advisor expressing my doubt that my July estimate is accurate noting the 19" rim delay and carbon fiber delay. He, without any guarantees, urged confidence in the estimate being that he's seeing several plaid deliveries a day at his location and that Tesla loves delivering them because they are the "highest margin vehicle at this time."

Still skeptical though, but hope he's right. Still no VIN. At least I'm looking forward to Q3 earnings!

I emailed my advisor expressing my doubt that my July estimate is accurate noting the 19" rim delay and carbon fiber delay. He, without any guarantees, urged confidence in the estimate being that he's seeing several plaid deliveries a day at his location and that Tesla loves delivering them because they are the "highest margin vehicle at this time."

Still skeptical though, but hope he's right. Still no VIN. At least I'm looking forward to Q3 earnings!
I hope he is correct. This would be a great sign for the rest of us with similar builds.

So I thought the navigation had "live" traffic views? I only see a blue line when I'm navigating. In Google Maps it shows green, red orange etc.
Is there somewhere you need to turn this on in the new S?
The Google maps colored traffic is it. Live traffic routing is when a jam happens and it reroutes your directions to a destination.

So I thought the navigation had "live" traffic views? I only see a blue line when I'm navigating. In Google Maps it shows green, red orange etc.
Is there somewhere you need to turn this on in the new S?
Google Maps shows roads and allows input of Destination requests (navigation). But the car won't show live traffic data (orange/yellow lines) unless you have opted for Premium Connectivity ($9.99/month I believe). I think new cars supposed to have it for no charge for 12 months, but my wife's y didn't have it until we said something to SA and they activated it.