Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you know if Tesla would then charge you the higher price because the “change” you made before delivery? Since it’s just software being turned off, I would assume no, but you know what they say about assuming anything about Tesla pricing/delivery/customer service. :cool:
It’s likely you will get the new price. You’ve made a change to your order before delivery.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
How does the cost of the EV and owning solar panels correlate? We have looked at them and it is not the cost that is the deciding factor against it.
I can only speak for myself (and I'm a bit on the strange side, to say the least) but there's something very fundamentally satisfying about having a setup where energy flows directly from the sun into our car (soon to be cars, for some definition of "soon"). I have designed our rooftop solar (16 kW, two LG storage batteries necessary due to the municipal power company, and Boston area so not a financial slam-dunk by any stretch) so we can know exactly when to start charging in order not to need to be pulling any power from the grid. One important factor is to throttle the charge rate down to about 5kW and charge while the sun is shining. As the batteries are often at full charge then (having been charged up from the grid at the off-peak rate earlier in the morning), the energy from our panels can either a) be consumed immediately, or b) get sent back to the grid and we get 25% of its value back from the muni. No brainer, that's when to charge the damn car(s).

Of course there are a zillion other factors and many days when we need to charge just aren't sunny and we bite the bullet, but for the times when the stars line up, it's a great feeling to just have those electrons flowing "directly from the sun into the car". I love it. We still have a non-zero electric bill and our payback (even with both Federal and State-level rebates/credits) is about 15 years, but so what. In the present moment, we have a system that is as planet-friendly as I know how to make our residence. If we weren't under the auspices of a municipal power company, the entire production would be simpler and a LOT more cost-effective (wouldn't need any storage batteries if the entire grid could just be our battery) but c'est la vie.

No delivery date.

Last edited:
Going solar was the smartest decision my wife and I made. Way smarter than the S which has been great fun. Due to Illinois and federal rebates, our break even is in 3.2 more years. Due to covid and less driving, were 115 percent (donating energy to grid). My brother and parents drive their EVs over to charge to prevent more giveaways.

I believe we can meet climate goals and still keep our meat consumption (though it can't hurt to cut back). It's a carbon budget and we should decide our priorities within that budget. Transportation and energy dwarf all other sectors, even ag (2006 figures cited are not useful).

@cwanja It looks like you're famous:
Wow. Again, all the credit goes to @Tex EV. Shared it with him. Thanks for the link.

I don’t even know what to say at this point. Giving up hope on July and haven’t had any updates since Jun 7th when I converted the Plaid+ order.

F7A1706B-B6DA-486F-9923-2FDEEF45F658.jpeg

Does anybody knows how many tesla cars there are in california?

For Q1 2021, 9731 Model 3s and 13786 Model Ys were registered in CA. Obviously no S/X sales :)

For the M3, that's almost 2x as many vs Prius registrations, and I can easily see more M3s than Prius' on the road (which used to be everywhere in the suburban landscapes). Tesla is also 5% of new car sales in CA, compared to 1.7% of the US.

A lot. Like a a lot a lot. Not trying to be funny, but seriously a crap ton. I can’t stress the amount.

The number I see on a daily basis in SoCal is astounding.....especially for a manufacturer with only 4 active models.

Attachments

• electric-vehicle-registr.jpeg
    electric-vehicle-registr.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Hi @doubleshot CA does not charge sales tax on subscriptions or on software licenses that are downloaded. So if you buy the $10K FSD license at delivery, you are charged tax since it was physically delivered. Also, the registration renewal is higher if purchased with the car. If it is licensed and download later it is not taxable in CA. The state has been very consistent on this issue for more than 20 years.

I have FSD on my order, but thinking of taking it off at delivery and then buying afterward (full license). But it may be that the license fee will go up by then. I wouldn't remove it until time of delivery though
So you're telling me you don't pay sales tax on Netflix? I'm pretty sure you do. In this new scenario you will pay sales tax.

Solar does increase the value of your house. I paid $8000 for our solar and am saving $1200 a year. In less than 7 years it will free electricity for the next 20 years. If I move out now the house(per my agent) is worth $4800 more counting solar. At that rate I would be ahead if I stayed in the house only 3 years after installing solar.
Just curious DoubleShot, what made you so anti-solar??