Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay now on a serious note, my sister that I mentioned earlier that ordered in January just got a VIN. But she already bought another car a couple of months ago and now doesn't want the Tesla anymore. Any suggestions?

View attachment 689274

View attachment 689275
Find someone who wants the car and offers them to overtake it for a decent fee.

Debating on scratching my Plaid and just taking her LR. I feel as with these games I'll never get the 19/CF combo.....
Grab the LR. Get used to the car and it's power. Then take delivery of the Plaid and do a proper back to back write up. I suspect you will get every penny back out of the LR when you are done with it depending on how many years it takes Tesla to make good on the Plaid delivery.

It puts you in a car. Makes the Plaid wait tolerable and lets you provide a service to all the "this is better than that" crowd.

Oh, and if you find that the LR is good enough for you, well, you will just have proved all those LR lovers were right. I'll trade cars with you so we can both see how the other drives :)

Grab the LR. Get used to the car and it's power. Then take delivery of the Plaid and do a proper back to back write up. I suspect you will get every penny back out of the LR when you are done with it depending on how many years it takes Tesla to make good on the Plaid delivery.

It puts you in a car. Makes the Plaid wait tolerable and lets you provide a service to all the "this is better than that" crowd.
DUDE. Great idea! Love it! @Ramphex consider this, man! 😁

When I wanted to convert my plaid+ order to a plaid, I was told to cancel my plaid+ order and place a new plaid order. I have a feeling it's the same to change from LR to Plaid. Hope I'
You do not have to cancel you order to change to plaid. I made the change myself after the person on the phone didn’t make the change like they said they did. I used the back door method to edit my order. Once I edited my order I literally got a vin in under 5mins. Of course that was sheer luck. But if you want to switch to plaid you can long as you don’t have a vin for a long range.

Is that the "black" ? I'm about 4 hours north of you, east Texas, but if they can make mine look as good as that (ONCE I GET THE DAMN CAR), I would make the drive!! That looks amazing. Congrats.
MSM with an entirely repainted hood and blended panels. There are reviews of the shop posted by people who drove from Austin & saying it’s totally worth it. Thanks!

You do not have to cancel you order to change to plaid. I made the change myself after the person on the phone didn’t make the change like they said they did. I used the back door method to edit my order. Once I edited my order I literally got a vin in under 5mins. Of course that was sheer luck. But if you want to switch to plaid you can long as you don’t have a vin for a long range.
What is the back door method? Could it be used to switch from white to black interior without a price reset?

The other question we can't answer, as Tesla is a puzzle wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a(n) enima? anyway, what will the MS be like in a couple or few months? Identical? exterior refresh or not? some different internals or not (like that driver's side rear door jam that doesn't align?) software fixed?
I have NO IDEA if I were to get an LR in say February, would that be identical to the LR I'd love to get now or in a month - different chips? Maybe. Do they perform differently? no idea. clock speed? reliability? other workarounds?
It is NOT worth $45k to me to get the car sooner. I decided that. But I really had to think about it.
Then the next question is, how much more is it worth it to me to get the car LATER?
I think all things being equal, I'd consider $5k to get the car sooner. That could be as simple as placing a new order, and thus it would have the $5k higher sticker. Add a non white interior, and Bob's yer uncle.
Or, would Q1 2022 have incremental improvements that make it worth MORE to get the car then. Working BT headphones? ANC? Cyberpunk and Witcher? Possibly XM radio? Would Q1 2022 be closer to a second model year as far as refinements, revisions and bug fixes go? I dunno.
But it is that "dance' that is having me mellow about about a prospective multi month wait longer than expected. Until a day or two ago i was confident i'd get my beast early or at worst late September. Now? Not sure if it would be March.
If 6 months later:
1) 2022 model (don't know if any changes form 2021)
2) possibly higher residual value
3) possible bug fixes, design tweaks
4) also possible cars nerfed by then
I can also envision changes on the configurator - lower range, maybe smaller battery packs, maybe cheaper motors with less performance (as long as they disclose)
i doubt that would happen, but I can envision it.
Could also go in the other direction - maybe improvements to the range, battery pack, motors, essentially refinements.
I've never passed anyone in a Lamborghini or other "waste of money flashy car" and thought they were a fool. I simply thought they figured out life better and sooner than I did.
Everything is relative in life so I guess for some people, spending $90k-$100 is waste of money for a car. Let alone extra $45k for just speed.

I ordered a LR earlier which had delivery date blank while I ordered a Plaid two days ago, and it’s already updated twice and shows Aug 11 - Aug 20 delivery.
IMO, buying a Tesla whether LR or Plaid is not a practical financial decision, we buy because of other factors. I agree that LR is better bang for the money spent but do we really think buying a $90k+ car is “ better money spent”. Who are we kidding!!!
We buy because we want to. Outside of folks who love Tesla, spending this amount of money is insane for a car. Whether $90k or &140k

Oh, and if you find that the LR is good enough for you, well, you will just have proved all those LR lovers were right. I'll trade cars with you so we can both see how the other drives :)

Do not do it and risk finding out the LR may be good enough and becoming an LR lover.