Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To add to my other thoughts, I truly don't believe Tesla is manipulating or phrasing things a certain way to get people to order more. Remember, Tesla doesn't count a delivery until that car is in fact sitting in that owner's driveway. There is ZERO benefit to doing this, and it can hurt their reputation and compound the stigma that Tesla never meets its deadlines.

I honestly think Tesla is very much childlike in their optimism for meeting deadlines, and they truly do believe they can hit their estimates. I do believe that they really thought they could ship the cars in March, then went, "OK, we'll surely make next month," and so on, until they finally delivered the first car in June. You could actually see how triumphant and proud the Tesla Team truly was for finally getting this car out. Tesla likely never even imagined this amount of hardship that would occur with the new MS launch.
But then when they are wrong, they need to own it, explain it to their customers, and at least make everyone feel as if there is a fair plan in place to deliver in the general order they were reserved. MANY people here are deservedly feeling like they have been forgotten about or slipped through the cracks. All it takes to fix this ill will is some communication.

But then when they are wrong, they need to own it, explain it to their customers, and at least make everyone feel as if there is a fair plan in place to deliver in the general order they were reserved. MANY people here are deservedly feeling like they have been forgotten about or slipped through the cracks. All it takes to fix this ill will is some communication.
That's why I mentioned that in my first post. Some communication would go a long way, and I can see Tesla improving that in the future, as part of becoming a long time manufacturer. People want to feel appreciated and that they matter, and I totally get that.🙂

I think Tesla has become a chicken with its head cut off, to be quite honest and frank. They are going to start to lose ground quickly in the US if they don't watch their backs. No PR, no customer service, and terrible QC is a really bad mix for an automotive company.

Everyone likes the "they are a young company excuse"...if they can't do it now with a relatively small customer base and output, they sure as hell aren't going to be able to do it in the future

I think Tesla has become a chicken with its head cut off, to be quite honest and frank. They are going to start to lose ground quickly in the US if they don't watch their backs. No PR, no customer service, and terrible QC is a really bad mix for an automotive company.

Everyone likes the "they are a young company excuse"...if they can't do it now with a relatively small customer base and output, they sure as hell aren't going to be able to do it in the future
So as they learn, make more cars, become successful, and can finally meet demand, they won't be able to do that in the future? Things like these are never excellent from the beginning, or even during the 'teen' years; they take time to learn the value of, and to fully mature. Their small output IS their problem.🙂

Reactions: impastu
So as they learn, make more cars, become successful, and can finally meet demand, they won't be able to do that in the future? Things like these are never excellent from the beginning, or even during the 'teen' years; they take time to learn the value of, and to fully mature. Their small output IS their problem.🙂

They need to learn to communicate to customers? They need to learn to not way over promise and under deliver? They need to learn not to ship half baked software? They need to learn how to deliver cars to customers without physical issues?

My friend, they lack basic processes, some of which they seem to be proud of not having. I'd argue Tesla has gotten worse at all of these things as time has gone on, not better. Perhaps QC isn't as terrible compared to the initial model 3s, for example, but they make some truly egregious mistakes.

Kind of reminds me of US auto manufacturers in the up until the 1980's. They were the best in the country when they had no competition. Tesla does make an amazing product, but every other company is tearing those products apart and reverse engineering them. It's hard to create something new. It's decidedly easier to take something great and pick it apart to make it better.

Once someone catches Tesla's innovation lead, their customer service and quality control is going to sink them.

Kind of reminds me of US auto manufacturers in the up until the 1980's. They were the best in the country when they had no competition. Tesla does make an amazing product, but every other company is tearing those products apart and reverse engineering them. It's hard to create something new. It's decidedly easier to take something great and pick it apart to make it better.

Once someone catches Tesla's innovation lead, their customer service and quality control is going to sink them.

I don't think they even need to fully catch them. I think if they were 80-90% there many people would choose a technological inferior product if they believed it was higher quality and built better. And, the bad part for Tesla is that they are going to have various companies (multiple) in all segments next year.

They need to learn to communicate to customers? They need to learn to not way over promise and under deliver? They need to learn not to ship half baked software? They need to learn how to deliver cars to customers without physical issues?

My friend, they lack basic processes, some of which they seem to be proud of not having. I'd argue Tesla has gotten worse at all of these things as time has gone on, not better. Perhaps QC isn't as terrible compared to the initial model 3s, for example, but they make some truly egregious mistakes.
They do. Absolutely.
Ford shipped Focuses with transmissions they KNEW would grenade. That same company also shipped the 2018 Mustang with piston slap, and called that "normal." Somehow, Ford also forgot to test the Mach E up and down hills, and now it's overheating from regen. McLaren instantly voids warranties if you so much as look at the engine sideways. I could go on.
My point of this is, that all automotive companies do some kind of dirty work under the surface. Even in today's society.
Wanna know the sad thing? Once Lucid and Rivian get off the ground, all attention will turn to them, and then the media will turn on them as well with clickbaity titles, and all the while, Tesla will have fixed all of these issues, and no one will have noticed.

They do. Absolutely.
Ford shipped Focuses with transmissions they KNEW would grenade. That same company also shipped the 2018 Mustang with piston slap, and called that "normal." Somehow, Ford also forgot to test the Mach E up and down hills, and now it's overheating from regen. McLaren instantly voids warranties if you so much as look at the engine sideways. I could go on.
My point of this is, that all automotive companies do some kind of dirty work under the surface. Even in today's society.
Wanna know the sad thing? Once Lucid and Rivian get off the ground, all attention will turn to them, and then the media will turn on them as well with clickbaity titles, and all the while, Tesla will have fixed all of these issues, and no one will have noticed.
And Tesla sold me a car that refuses to do the speed limit! Incredibly careless of them.

And Tesla sold me a car that refuses to do the speed limit! Incredibly careless of them.
My point was, that everyone seems to ignore the fact that other companies do the same thing or worse. Let's not even mention dealerships. And everyone is also somehow thinking that Tesla has stopped innovating and improving. They are not done yet. It seems as if you guys have already given up on them. Yeah the other companies will have *maybe* come close to catching up to Tesla in 1 to 4 years, but where's Tesla gonna be then? Shipping 15k cars, and making a crapton of money off the now open Superchargers. Not only that, but wait until people see what comes out of Texas this fall. No, it may not be the 4680s, but that Y will be built like a BMW with the paint and panel gap quality. Don't you think Tesla is tired of hearing about panel gaps and paint issues?
The reason why nobody remembers this crap from any other manufacturer is that all other startups in recent memory have FAILED, and never got to this point.

My point was, that everyone seems to ignore the fact that other companies do the same thing or worse. Let's not even mention dealerships. And everyone is also somehow thinking that Tesla has stopped innovating and improving. They are not done yet. Why have you guys already given up on them? Yeah the other companies will have *maybe* come close to catching up to Tesla in 1 to 4 years, but where's Tesla gonna be then? Shipping 15k cars, and making a crapton of money off the now open Superchargers. Not only that, but wait until people see what comes out of Texas this fall. No, it may not be the 4680s, but that Y will be built like a BMW with the paint and panel gap quality. Don't you think Tesla is tired of hearing about panel gaps and paint issues?
The reason why nobody remembers this crap from any other manufacturer is that all other startups in recent memory have FAILED, and never got to this point.
I don't think anyone is giving up on Tesla. I think we are pointing out the obvious. Their weak points are customer communication and quality control. They need to fix that to keep the next great thing at bay. I think most of us are rooting for two things. One, Tesla fixing their weaknesses. Two, someone else providing a product as good as Tesla with great customer service and quality control. Other than the fan boys, people don't care which of those two happen, as long as one of them does.

I don't think anyone is giving up on Tesla. I think we are pointing out the obvious. Their weak points are customer communication and quality control. They need to fix that to keep the next great thing at bay. I think most of us are rooting for two things. One, Tesla fixing their weaknesses. Two, someone else providing a product as good as Tesla with great customer service and quality control. Other than the fan boys, people don't care which of those two happen, as long as one of them does.
Awesome. I didn't necessarily think so, but it also seems that people sometimes believe that this is all we got with Tesla, and they are never going to improve. I frankly think it is nearly impossible that other manufacturers will be able to offer such a well rounded package into the equally as well rounded price of these cars. You know it's bad when everyone has to go to freaking solid state to even stand a chance against Tesla.
Look, constructive criticism is awesome, and I have faith that Tesla will improve in these facets as they grow. I personally can't wait for that, because Tesla is already unstoppable. Can you imagine what would happen if the QC and communication was on point too? Craziness for sure my friend.

Awesome. I didn't necessarily think so, but it also seems that people sometimes believe that this is all we got with Tesla, and they are never going to improve. I frankly think it is nearly impossible that other manufacturers will be able to offer such a well rounded package into the equally as well rounded price of these cars. You know it's bad when everyone has to go to freaking solid state to even stand a chance against Tesla.
Look, constructive criticism is awesome, and I have faith that Tesla will improve in these facets as they grow. I personally can't wait for that, because Tesla is already unstoppable. Can you imagine what would happen if the QC and communication was on point too? Craziness for sure my friend.
Well, Tesla already has every other manufacturer scrambling to get into an EV market they revolutionized.

So exciting to see some of us like @AnselmDante get their car!! Totally jealous! I went a few pages back to read your day 1 and day 2 posts. I can tell how much you love the car. I too wish the delivery was more exciting. Believe me it used to be a few years ago. With the herd of 3/Y hitting delivery centers, things got rather uneventful!

My delivery estimates haven't really changed BUT I'm out of town next week Monday through Friday and I am really hoping I don't get a call in the next few days. If I do, I sure hope I can haggle with them on the phone and convince them to let me pickup Friday night.

I think with all of the work they've done and will continue towards the environment, they are doing the best they can, and that will have an impact.😁
Right. I was referring to other manufacturers; I hope THEY get onboard quickly enough and start mass-producing & selling EVs (and deprecating fossil fuel-consuming ones) ASAP to make enough impact in time to avert an irreversible path toward a catastrophic future - mostly for next generations, since we're pretty f'ed either way for at least the next 30 years, according to the report.