Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The magic 7-day window finally appears for one of my orders!

RN113953xxx ordered 9/22/2020 Plaid/red/blk/CF/19 EDD Sep 9-29
RN115453xxx ordered 8/8/2021 Plaid/red/blk/CF/19 EDD Sep 10-30
RN115507xxx ordered 8/17/2021 Plaid/msm/blk/wood/19 EDD Aug 24-31
RN115525xxx ordered 8/19/2021 Plaid/msm/blk/CF/19 EDD Sep 11-30

What does the latest @jebinc theorem say about how soon to expect a VIN?
Ok I clearly could not resist. The order fee is now $250 but F it, I ordered another one!

RN115550xxx Plaid/White/Black/CF/19"/AP VIN: 5YJSA1E69MF439xxx

So relatively new build. It's apparently located in Lathrop, CA so they have to ship it back closer to me. EDD: August 28-31.
Aaaand another one of my orders just got a VIN! New behavior: March EDD..

RN115507xxx ordered 8/17/2021 Plaid/msm/blk/wood/19 EDD March VIN MF440
RN115550xxx ordered 8/24/2021 Plaid/white/blk/CF/19 EDD Aug 28-32 VIN MF439

Last edited:
Picked up my car today and I’m loving it. Having the windows ceramic tinted in the morning and then I’ll post some pics along with some feedback.
I thoroughly went through the car at the SC and all was good. No isssues with gaps, paint, etc. My delivery was smooth and quick. I’m a happy camper 🤩👍🥂.
Duuuuddddeee soooooo happy for you! So great to see you finally get your car!🥂🍻🔋🔋🔋🔋🔋🔋🔋👌👌👌😁😁😁😁
I’ll get some dragy with the 19s as well. Just got home from a long drive.. sweeet
Really looking forward to those 19" Dragy numbers as well!🙂

Financing done and approved. Decided to buy over lease. I feel like this will be first car I keep through the whole six years and I want to mod it and drive this red beast as I see fit. Extended warranty actually seems like a good idea. Getting pumped! Holy sh*t. Pick up august 27-30th, coming from Temecula to Costa Mesa. After that, will spend time refreshing here and the cybertruck delivery thread endlessly. Ha.

What else have you ever waited for that caused more obsessive behavior than this MS LR/Plaid order??? (not including a previous Tesla order… or your children)

Recently: I have to admit - I thought the lead time between announcement / order placement / delivery for my 2021 iPad Pro 12.9” was a mind *duck*.… Looking back I had a wait of an entire month (gasp), and the delivery date range was known from the start, and never bigger than ~2 - 3 days….

Over my entire life: The application and waiting process for getting into a top grad school… there were no definitive criteria / announcement dates, and similarly to this, there were packed forums of people speculating, trying to draw patterns / conclusions from any scrap of a data they could… but that didn’t come close to how much of a mind *duck* Elon is playing on me at the moment… and those of you who ordered before April I’m sure have it even worse…

Thank you, Elon, for making this the most nebulous, obsessive-provoking experience I’ve ever had… at least in the future I won’t give a damn about the wait for a new iPad…
In the grand scheme waiting on a car is not really up there at all.

I've got two kids which were both high risk pregnancies for my wife which involved a lot of waiting and stress that lasted months and months. Two of the most significant promotions I've had at work each took years to achieve and involved a significant amount of waiting and stress. Those kinds of experiences dwarf waiting on a car for a couple of months, especially since I have an M3P to drive in the interim while I wait on the Plaid.

Financing done and approved. Decided to buy over lease. I feel like this will be first car I keep through the whole six years and I want to mod it and drive this red beast as I see fit. Extended warranty actually seems like a good idea. Getting pumped! Holy sh*t. Pick up august 27-30th, coming from Temecula to Costa Mesa. After that, will spend time refreshing here and the cybertruck delivery thread endlessly. Ha.
This is the first Tesla and first EV I will be buying rather than leasing as well. I put so few miles on a vehicle that it will hold up its value extremely well I think. I'll keep it for a couple of years until the Roadster comes out and then sell it for about what I paid for it.

This is the first Tesla and first EV I will be buying rather than leasing as well. I put so few miles on a vehicle that it will hold up its value extremely well I think. I'll keep it for a couple of years until the Roadster comes out and then sell it for about what I paid for it.
I hear ya. I actually drive so much that leases rarely work out. I learned the hard way on my first model S. 25 cents a mile adds up quick. Planning on splitting driving between my M3P and MSP to help retain value and then trade in the M3P for a CT Tri motor whenever (hoping 2022 but more likely 2023) it goes into production.

Aaaand another one of my orders just got a VIN! New behavior: March EDD..

RN115507xxx ordered 8/17/2021 Plaid/msm/blk/wood/19 EDD March VIN MF440
RN115550xxx ordered 8/24/2021 Plaid/white/blk/CF/19 EDD Aug 28-32 VIN MF439
Well that March EDD didn’t last long:

RN115507xxx ordered 8/17/2021 Plaid/msm/blk/wood/19 EDD Aug 25-30 MF440
RN115550xxx ordered 8/24/2021 Plaid/white/blk/CF/19 EDD Aug 28-32 MF439

Decision time..I need to tell Tesla which of the two orders that has a VIN to assign my original order’s pricing.

I’m leaning toward the MSM one, as it hasn’t been shipped anywhere yet and I can just pick it up from the factory in the next few days. But it has wood interior, and I think I want CF (but haven’t seen it in person yet).

The white one was shipped to Lathrop, and needs to be shipped back to Colma, where I’m scheduled to pick it up from. So more potential for damage in transport. Also, it’s white.. my least favorite “color”. But it does have CF interior.

I’m clearly losing sleep unnecessarily over this. Can someone please just choose for me? 🙃

Last edited:
Yeah. My MF438 is apparently in Richmond... for reasons I don't understand, but not set to get here until 9/6, at least according to the service guy who return my wife's S to her today.

(Interestingly I can't get into my account to figure out what the EDD says there)
Apparently Richmond is Richmond, CA not VA, so… well… ARGH.

My 9/2 - 9/5 is now 9/3 - 9/9. That... is not progress.

WHAT HAVE I DONE TO YOU ELON

I’m embarrassed to admit it, but I snatched one of those inventory cars, it’s a MF438 and I think it was released from the factory on August 2nd.

It’s in Charlotte, NC, so I was thinking of flying and driving home. I tried calling the Tesla Store, and they didn’t answer. I want to see how they handle the sales tax. It’s $500 to have it shipped to Florida.

This is my fifth order, I canceled two previous ones. I only ordered to keep @MarcG company, and to boost $TSLA. Actually, it was pure FOMO. :rolleyes: I really don’t need a new car, I just want one.

“Oops, I did it again..” Now I understand what Britney was singing about.
"A dealer may issue temporary markers, without obtaining the written application for titling and registration or collecting the applicable fees, to nonresidents for the purpose of removing the vehicle from the State."

Florida regisration and titling is easy, but varies by County. This is Clay County:

It is quite simple to do the process. The quirk is that Form 82042 still is required, and some counties want that to be done by local police while most accept the form from a dealer, so your local Tesla store can do it. Perhaps Tesla Charlotte can arrange that directly, but it need to be done by a Florida entity. Doing this makes it simple. If you're transferring your Florida plates to the new car, as I always do, there is a simple form that includes the old registration and a photo of the plate attaches to you old car. If not you just drive on the NC temporary plates until the new ones arrive.

What else have you ever waited for that caused more obsessive behavior than this MS LR/Plaid order??? (not including a previous Tesla order… or your children)

Over my entire life: The application and waiting process for getting into a top grad school… there were no definitive criteria / announcement dates, and similarly to this, there were packed forums of people speculating, trying to draw patterns / conclusions from any scrap of a data they could…
I had quite forgotten how similar they were. I waited months to hear from my first choice but nothing. I had given up and came to New York (I was abroad, it was 1970, no guesses where I was) and passes by my former residence. MY former postman saw me and said, "I just got this for you and wondered what to do with it. It's a bit heavy...". So, there it was, my acceptance and all the forms, I was looking at that on the last day for acceptance."

My spouse claims I've never been quite so preoccupied, even for airplanes. I do not know about that, but this wait is still excruciating. Waiting for 18 months for my P3D was not so painful.

Thanks for reminding me.:D

I have an order question: If you buy an out of state inventory car, can they collect local (FL) sales tax? When I bought an inventory car in Santa Barbara last week, they said they would have to collect CA local sales tax. I called the national Tesla line and the lady said that most stores collect tax for the state where you reside.

Who is right? Does it depend on the state?
In all my experiences in many different states the sales tax is collected for the state where the car is registered not where it’s sold.

One exception to my experience is when I bought a lemon law titled Range Rover in CA and the dealer said that they could not register it outside of CA for some reason That couldn’t be explained to me (so I had it registered to one of my friends addresses for a year then transferred to NY…sales tax paid to CA got credited by NY in accordance with a bilateral agreement they have).

And the mud flaps are out!! Complete with a first to market price. Lol.

Last edited:
I’m embarrassed to admit it, but I snatched one of those inventory cars, it’s a MF438 and I think it was released from the factory on August 2nd.

It’s in Charlotte, NC, so I was thinking of flying and driving home. I tried calling the Tesla Store, and they didn’t answer. I want to see how they handle the sales tax. It’s $500 to have it shipped to Florida.

This is my fifth order, I canceled two previous ones. I only ordered to keep @MarcG company, and to boost $TSLA. Actually, it was pure FOMO. :rolleyes: I really don’t need a new car, I just want one.

“Oops, I did it again..” Now I understand what Britney was singing about.
Ormond,

May you Peacock well my friend.
Congrats.

Yeah, the Plaids are flowing this week. I just picked up my Plaid order today with 5 miles on it (white, black interior, wood, 21" wheels), which is from the 438 VIN batch that was built August 5th.

As a longtime Model S owner, I know all too well about Tesla's initial build quality issues when a redesign comes out. My early review of a refresh LR probably provides some insight about how particular I am about the little details. So I spent three hours (yes, three hours) inspecting every nook & cranny of that car before deciding whether to accept it, as I didn't want any hassles down the road. AND I COULDN'T FIND ONE DAMN FLAW. Seriously. Not even a hairline smudge on the exterior or exterior, or any mechanical issues to note. So my congrats to Tesla on the quality of my build.

As for my forthcoming review of the Plaid, I'll write that up after I get the car back from a full wrap, tint, emblem chrome delete, and ceramic coating. I did a quick test drive right near the Tesla shop before it goes to the detailer, and OMG. I've driven every Tesla, along with other ICE performance cars, and that is absolutely the craziest acceleration I've ever experienced in my lifetime. I felt like I was on the deck of the Enterprise, suddenly thrust into warp speed (sorry, wrong movie).

You have to experience it at least once. Life changing moment!
I believe another member coined the term "violent"

Not only does she know, last night she told me how her P90D was growing lonely in the garage and wanted a little brother to keep it company, so I should hurry up and bring one home.. and that’s one of the many reasons why I love her! Especially that we’re not actually married ;)
Any self respecting significant other would have ordered her a LR before the price increase :)
Unless of course she is getting one of the "other" Plaid orders.

Im thinking these extra cars that have shown up are early builds. As i posted yesterday the atlanta delivery center had 7 cars on the lot. Now 3 are showing up as available. They had paper in window that said build. 05/21View attachment 701027
if you are there already, simple to confirm if they are early build by looking at the VIN.

Pulled the trigger on the red plaid 19 with black ebony. Figure I can wrap interior if need be with TBe 2,500 saved on the interior. Slippage of my white interior to January did me in. It’s a 4398xx. Will see what quality this VIN range gets.
The 4389xx i picked up yesterday was flawless except missing the trunk shelf. I'm picking up a 4392xx tomorrow, i expect it to be flawless too.

Had delivery date of last Sunday. Got a call on Saturday that they found an issue during prep that needed looked at.
Reset to delivery on Wednesday. Yesterday (Tuesday) got a call that they needed a part and reset to Saturday. I told them Saturday doesn't work for me and they need it before that. We'll see. At least they found it before I took it home and found it. Getting impatient.

Well that March EDD didn’t last long:

RN115507xxx ordered 8/17/2021 Plaid/msm/blk/wood/19 EDD Aug 25-30 MF440
RN115550xxx ordered 8/24/2021 Plaid/white/blk/CF/19 EDD Aug 28-32 MF439

Decision time..I need to tell Tesla which of the two orders that has a VIN to assign my original order’s pricing.

I’m leaning toward the MSM one, as it hasn’t been shipped anywhere yet and I can just pick it up from the factory in the next few days. But it has wood interior, and I think I want CF (but haven’t seen it in person yet).

The white one was shipped to Lathrop, and needs to be shipped back to Colma, where I’m scheduled to pick it up from. So more potential for damage in transport. Also, it’s white.. my least favorite “color”. But it does have CF interior.

I’m clearly losing sleep unnecessarily over this. Can someone please just choose for me? 🙃
Looks like they are catching up with the order queue. Only ones left waiting are the white seats coming in a few months. How many of these are you actually keeping? I thought I was bad with 3 orders. 🤣

For those interested, the Plaid inventory is down to 18 from 57 yesterday...
1629894570954.png