Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is NOT a discussion-turned-argument I want to heavily jump into; so this is pretty much all will say on this subject. The panel gaps have been a major issue in Tesla's history. But of the issues they've had, they have been minimizing them over the years. They are one by one picking off every complaint people have had with Teslas (New S interior quality, etc..). Panel gaps are next:

It's clear that originally, pretty much all of the money went into the powertrain and battery. Now, the money (because there is more of it), is going to the powertrain and battery, interior, and chassis development. Some of the issues I've seen have been borderline egregious, and others overly dramatized. I agree that a 130k car can and will do better. However, I think many of us believe (rightly so IMHO), that you aren't going to find a car this well engineered for the LR/Plaid pricing, or for pretty much any price for that matter. This company has effectively only been building cars for 9 years, yet it has overtaken the 100+ years of "engineering experience" the other companies are supposed to have. In a 10th of the time! IMO, we are taking Tesla's experience in powertrains and next-level engineering, and are associating it to a being a much older company than they really are. Not that we shouldn't expect good quality, because that is what will improve Tesla.

Plus, it's not like other manufacturers don't have quality issues. The initial ramp of the new Shelby GT500 (a car that can cost over 100K, and that is built by an established company), was terrible, with many QC issues that could not be excusable. The $10,000 painted stripes option was often done improperly, and had to be corrected, hoses under the hood came pinched, misaligned hoods and trunks, cobra badges falling off, etc...
The C8 Corvette went on sale and immediately started having quality issues, with leather dashes lifting, intake grills not being strong enough, crap paint, etc... The new Bronco has also gone on sale and instantly had soft top and wind noise issues, as well as surprise markups from overly greedy dealers. They rushed it.
Just today, it has come to light that Ford has issued a recall for the very thing they mocked Tesla over last year.

I think like many things in Tesla's history, QC will improve, as reports out of GigaShanghai have shown. That is Tesla's first ground up car factory, and people are loving the QC. Apparently there are almost no issues, and the cars are being built really well over there. The same will happen with Texas that hopefully goes online next month. Once Texas is fully online, the rumor is that Fremont will be fully redesigned to accommodate the new paint shop, assembly machines, etc... That's when we can expect truly world class quality out of a Tesla. IMO though, even before then, once this production ramp is done, they will be able to iron out all of the kinks in these cars. Elon himself said the best time to buy a car is before or after a production ramp. Like all other companies, things can and have gotten weird during.

(Disclaimer: This is just my opinion and mine alone, so I don't mean to set anyone off here. Please keep that in mind.)

I really like Lucid, and have $LCID also, but it's important to remember that Elon also wanted high quality at the start of production. Tesla actually slowed production in 2012 to do "quality over quantity". Apparently, it all went to crap when the M3 arrived. So we'll see where Lucid and Rivian are on that front in 5 or 7 years. What we are hearing is what Lucid is hoping to do right now. Hopefully it's the same in the future, but they will have some issues no doubt until they figure things out.

Where's an essay bot like this when I needed it the most during my university day?

Last edited:
A2ABAAC1-C045-4FAA-829D-F6E4602EAB86.jpeg

I'm in the first day of my latest EDD (I hit the EDD range 2x this month already and the range changed each time to a later EDD range the day after I entered the EDD period). So now I'm focused preparing for pickup (yay), inspection and QC issues when I saw this video on YouTube titled "Tesla Model S Build Quality is Trash"

Maybe I'm too forgiving but the TRASH build quality issues pointed out by the YouTuber look really minor to me. If this is what I get, I would probably have Tesla look at 1 or 2 things but would be dancing on my way home. I think almost every car I have ever purchased has had similar issues and think the video is showing pretty normal stuff but I might be too forgiving.

LR, MS with black interior, 19" wheels, no FSD, ordered May 1 in mall, current EDD 9/21-30, SA in mall told me I was slated for October production, RN1148
Just….seemed….so….rehearsed. :(

@ggenge took delivery in Calgary today, first in Alberta according to Tesla.
Very cool! Congratulations @ggenge! What was your RN#? Was it the white LR?

Also, um, I’ve never been in any electric car before and about to spend 180k on one I have never seen in person. Can I um, buy you lunch? You drive? lol

Last edited:
The big bottom line is the value perception is not subject to being anchored. Elon has changed the rules for everyone. Quality will come. Technology came first and likely will always take first place for Tesla.

Folks take the same with glitchy ragged edge semiconductor technology. I am supporting the future of a company that is racing toward that future. No one else is close.

Everyone can pretend otherwise BUT it is precisely why we are all standing in line. (and bitching about it)

Cheers

Agreed. Take a look at the Korean cars. We had an Excel in the early nineties. Why? We were recently graduated students. It was cheap. It wasn’t safe. It was crap.

Price was their first entry milestone. Then came safety. And final quality. They’ve done well this way.

In my previous career experience (high end semi-conductor backend equipment), the product development roadmap was
  • Functionality (no one else could do)
  • Productivity
  • Reliability
  • Cost
  • Convenience
I’m seeing a similar theme with Tesla. The quality will come. When it needs to.

This is NOT a discussion-turned-argument I want to heavily jump into; so this is pretty much all will say on this subject. The panel gaps have been a major issue in Tesla's history. But of the issues they've had, they have been minimizing them over the years. They are one by one picking off every complaint people have had with Teslas (New S interior quality, etc..). Panel gaps are next:

It's clear that originally, pretty much all of the money went into the powertrain and battery. Now, the money (because there is more of it), is going to the powertrain and battery, interior, and chassis development. Some of the issues I've seen have been borderline egregious, and others overly dramatized. I agree that a 130k car can and will do better. However, I think many of us believe (rightly so IMHO), that you aren't going to find a car this well engineered for the LR/Plaid pricing, or for pretty much any price for that matter. This company has effectively only been building cars for 9 years, yet it has overtaken the 100+ years of "engineering experience" the other companies are supposed to have. In a 10th of the time! IMO, we are taking Tesla's experience in powertrains and next-level engineering, and are associating it to a being a much older company than they really are. Not that we shouldn't expect good quality, because that is what will improve Tesla.

Plus, it's not like other manufacturers don't have quality issues. The initial ramp of the new Shelby GT500 (a car that can cost over 100K, and that is built by an established company), was terrible, with many QC issues that could not be excusable. The $10,000 painted stripes option was often done improperly, and had to be corrected, hoses under the hood came pinched, misaligned hoods and trunks, cobra badges falling off, etc...
The C8 Corvette went on sale and immediately started having quality issues, with leather dashes lifting, intake grills not being strong enough, crap paint, etc... The new Bronco has also gone on sale and instantly had soft top and wind noise issues, as well as surprise markups from overly greedy dealers. They rushed it.
Just today, it has come to light that Ford has issued a recall for the very thing they mocked Tesla over last year.

I think like many things in Tesla's history, QC will improve, as reports out of GigaShanghai have shown. That is Tesla's first ground up car factory, and people are loving the QC. Apparently there are almost no issues, and the cars are being built really well over there. The same will happen with Texas that hopefully goes online next month. Once Texas is fully online, the rumor is that Fremont will be fully redesigned to accommodate the new paint shop, assembly machines, etc... That's when we can expect truly world class quality out of a Tesla. IMO though, even before then, once this production ramp is done, they will be able to iron out all of the kinks in these cars. Elon himself said the best time to buy a car is before or after a production ramp. Like all other companies, things can and have gotten weird during.

(Disclaimer: This is just my opinion and mine alone, so I don't mean to set anyone off here. Please keep that in mind.)

I really like Lucid, and have $LCID also, but it's important to remember that Elon also wanted high quality at the start of production. Tesla actually slowed production in 2012 to do "quality over quantity". Apparently, it all went to crap when the M3 arrived. So we'll see where Lucid and Rivian are on that front in 5 or 7 years. What we are hearing is what Lucid is hoping to do right now. Hopefully it's the same in the future, but they will have some issues no doubt until they figure things out.
When comparing to other manufacturers like above, I’ll add I had a 2019 G550 (newest gen) that had a wicked speaker grill buzz and terrible door seal creak. I actually adjusted the door latches to improve the creak as well as better alignment with the body panels.

Also had a 2020 992 911 C4S that completely and thoroughly had the worst infotainment electronics ever. There was a recall and they did improve, but I drove the car for 6 months prior with the dash and infotainment doing some really odd stuff. Not to mention, I had to BEG the dealer to give me a loaner for the 3 recalls it had. And one of those recalls (dynamic motor mounts) they wouldn’t even let me keep the loaner while they waited for parts From Germany. Still, it was a fantastic car, particularly the ceramic brakes, but it was far, far from perfect.

When comparing to other manufacturers like above, I’ll add I had a 2019 G550 (newest gen) that had a wicked speaker grill buzz and terrible door seal creak. I actually adjusted the door latches to improve the creak as well as better alignment with the body panels.

Also had a 2020 992 911 C4S that completely and thoroughly had the worst infotainment electronics ever. There was a recall and they did improve, but I drove the car for 6 months prior with the dash and infotainment doing some really odd stuff. Not to mention, I had to BEG the dealer to give me a loaner for the 3 recalls it had. And one of those recalls (dynamic motor mounts) they wouldn’t even let me keep the loaner while they waited for parts From Germany. Still, it was a fantastic car, particularly the ceramic brakes, but it was far, far from perfect.
Exactly. Thanks for the info, as I wasn't too sure of any cases, and wanted to only mention what I was absolutely positive about. Germany, or any other county of origin, absolutely does not instantly mean well-built. They have a reputation for it, and most of the time it does, but they aren't perfect. Tesla has become the butt of these jokes and comments because they really were abysmal in the early days of the M3 and even MY. However, except for some cases now, that is largely behind them, and will continue to be even more so as time goes on. Quality is on its way, and will join the already unbeatable arsenal of excellent features that Tesla models exhibit.

Reactions: Phlier and impastu
How can it be in preproduction when cars with VIN 444 are being delivered to customers huh 🤔
Good point...unless preproduction could also mean "held for parts". It's also par for the course to ask two different employees the same question and get different results. Entering the first day of my current delivery range tomorrow so we'll see. That 444 VIN was built on the 16th and delivered a few hours farther away from the factory than me on the 19th so 22nd - 27th is still within the realm of possibility.

Called again just now and they said it's in preproduction...getting conflicting answers...have a wrap appointment on the 27th. Don't know if this will happen in time and sucks to hold an appointment if it doesn't get here in time...

Plaid White/white/carbon fiber/19"
RN11399xxxx
VIN 5YJSA1E64MF443xxx
EDD Sep 22 - 27
My guess is that the car was complete, all except the seats. So parked, waiting. Elon mentioned this. (Not specifically for seats)
Parts which most presumed were chip shortage related…

Exactly. Thanks for the info, as I wasn't too sure of any cases, and wanted to only mention what I was absolutely positive about. Germany, or any other county of origin, absolutely does not instantly mean well-built. They have a reputation for it, and most of the time it does, but they aren't perfect. Tesla has become the butt of these jokes and comments because they really were abysmal in the early days of the M3 and even MY. However, except for some cases now, that is largely behind them, and will continue to be even more so as time goes on. Quality is on its way, and will join the already unbeatable arsenal of excellent features that Tesla models exhibit.
Yeah for sure. Tesla has a distance to go to be at the German’s level regarding build quaility, no doubt. But the German’s, no matter how much they believe they’ve got it nailed, do not.

I also left a lot of expensive little bits all over the Fomaso drag strip in a 911 Turbo a couple years ago. It was a fast car, but my Plaid would destroy it by over 6 tenths of a second (had it not destroyed itself). But it all ended well with Porsche so I won’t complain.

Regardless, the new S’s are wicked fast, are cheaper to operate than my motorcycle, and look good. That checks my boxes pretty easily. Yeah, improvements could be made, but I really don’t see myself without an electric car, probably a Tesla, for a long time.

I'm in the first day of my latest EDD (I hit the EDD range 2x this month already and the range changed each time to a later EDD range the day after I entered the EDD period). So now I'm focused preparing for pickup (yay), inspection and QC issues when I saw this video on YouTube titled "Tesla Model S Build Quality is Trash"

Maybe I'm too forgiving but the TRASH build quality issues pointed out by the YouTuber look really minor to me. If this is what I get, I would probably have Tesla look at 1 or 2 things but would be dancing on my way home. I think almost every car I have ever purchased has had similar issues and think the video is showing pretty normal stuff but I might be too forgiving.

LR, MS with black interior, 19" wheels, no FSD, ordered May 1 in mall, current EDD 9/21-30, SA in mall told me I was slated for October production, RN1148
I would reject this car only because of the chip in the door, that whole door has to be repainted to fix that. All the other items can be easily fixed and quickly fixed. I think those items on the camera and door are transport damage. The fender liner just has to be secured properly, the lights I think buffed out, and the trim re-attached correctly.

Yeah for sure. Tesla has a distance to go to be at the German’s level regarding build quaility, no doubt. But the German’s, no matter how much they believe they’ve got it nailed, do not.

I also left a lot of expensive little bits all over the Fomaso drag strip in a 911 Turbo a couple years ago. It was a fast car, but my Plaid would destroy it by over 6 tenths of a second (had it not destroyed itself). But it all ended well with Porsche so I won’t complain.

Regardless, the new S’s are wicked fast, are cheaper to operate than my motorcycle, and look good. That checks my boxes pretty easily. Yeah, improvements could be made, but I really don’t see myself without an electric car, probably a Tesla, for a long time.
Damn, that's pretty bad that the thing grenaded itself on the strip. I know it's not designed for it, but as Porsche, you GOTTA know that someone's going to drag race it. Totally agreed on the EVs part. They have such a fresh, clean feel to them IMO. Like how the Plaid's power is so clean and efficient with very little power losses along the way. I love the way they work, and all of the intricacies that go into developing, engineering, producing, and designing them. Especially all of the different motor configurations that are possible, and the battery tech advancements to come. So imagine my love for Tesla! I have a huge amount of respect and admiration for engineering and OEMs that build and develop EVs, especially the ones who do it well, and almost perfectly in Tesla's case. Love it! :)

Last edited:
Damn, that's pretty bad that the thing grenaded itself on the strip. I know it's not designed for it, but as Porsche, you GOTTA know that someone's going to drag race it. Totally agreed on the EVs part. They have such a fresh, clean feel to them IMO. Like how the Plaid's power is so clean and efficient with very little power losses along the way. I love the way they work, and all of the intricacies that go into developing, engineering, producing, and designing them. Especially all of the different motor configurations that are possible, and the battery tech advancements to come. So imagine my love for Tesla! I have a huge amount of respect and admiration for engineering and OEMs that build and develop EVs, especially the ones who do it well, and almost perfectly in Tesla's case. Love it! :)
In all fairness the 911 was heavily modified and Porsche still did me right. I don’t want to throw shade, they’re a standup company in my book.

One source of doubts is why are there so many inventory cars on the Tesla site?

Must be over five, more so than last week.

They can't all be cars that were sitting next to the train tracks at Fremont, some are white and even red and blue.

Rejected deliveries? If so, what does that say about current build quality?
There was 96 at one point today.

As promised…
Link to Video…
Tesla Model S PLAID Delivery Day!
Ok,
So slightly off topic, when I dropped off my Plaid for PPF, I was asked about chrome deleting the “T” & “Plaid” badges in the back.
initially said no as the lack of contrast would make them nearly invisible.
I really dislike menus with black text on a red background in restaurants for that reason.
Now having second thoughts as they are inconsistent with the rest of the trim.
Included at no additional cost.
So decision is purely on the aesthetics.
Thoughts, please.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Ok,
So slightly off topic, when I dropped off my Plaid for PPF, I was asked about chrome deleting the “T” & “Plaid” badges in the back.
initially said no as the lack of contrast would make them nearly invisible.
I really dislike menus with black text on a red background in restaurants for that reason.
Now having second thoughts as they are inconsistent with the rest of the trim.
Included at no additional cost.
So decision is purely on the aesthetics.
Thoughts, please.

Chrome delete the ‘T’ emblem. Physically delete the ‘Plaid’ badge. Beautiful. :)

Last edited: