Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Joshua I will take better pictures later promise outside. Looks like you have the same build. Showing off all the tesla products in first view. The right car is a white model Y. Getting in it is much lower than the Model Y.

Love the Plaid. I updated the excel sheet. Show up under whites with vin now.

1. Doors a little janky in that you have to really close them with effort. Soft close does not close all the way. It tries to self lock but unless you closed with some force it does not close.

2. My Tesla App just keep spinning for this Tesla. I connected to wireless but connections seems slow still. Tried a hard reboot. Vent button for example does not work on mine yet.

3. Don't know where to add my "home" address yet?? Hard to find. Did homelink with garage opener successfully.

4. Getting ceramic and tints starting this weekend. Only about $1.1K combined. Not getting ppf, just cant justify the price in my head.

5. No idea yet how to engage autopilot. Not like the Y with the stalks. Getting out of the LOT was hilarious, I couldn't find the turn signals when I first left the lot. I picked up in Fremont not Dublin.

6. I did not receive floor mats??

Great pics. But now, I have power wall envy as well as plaid envy...

1. Doors a little janky in that you have to really close them with effort. Soft close does not close all the way. It tries to self lock but unless you closed with some force it does not close.
I didn't know the car has soft close doors...oddly, it's one of the biggest things I miss coming from the M6. I tested it now and I don't see any way they would soft close, am I missing something?

Update on my repairs:

I was able to get a cancelled service appointment spot today. Dropped my car ofd and went over all the issues with my tech. They gave me $500 uber credits

1. The headlight drl - He said it was a known issue and they will replace the whole assembly if it is in stock. Check all your lights and make sure they are working.
2. Stereo and bluetooth mic not working - said they would trouble shoot. I could need a new amp or cpu. They will let me know if they can fix it or will have to order parts.
3. Passenger side windshield area where it meets the roof is a few mm higher than the rest. It almost looks like it is coming apart. Tech said most likely it wasn’t pushed/glued all the way down when they installed it. Make sure to check your windshields and roofs guys. They are ordering me a new windshield. The next available appointment is November.
4. Passenger trunk alignment and passenger side skirt panel gaps are slightly wider than the driver’s side. They said they are within spec and just variances in Tesla casting. This would definitely not be tolerated with any other manufacturer.

Overall I’m pretty disappointed I have all of these issues with a brand new car but hopefully everything will get fixed. I’m pretty happy with how the car drives.

Update on my repairs:

I was able to get a cancelled service appointment spot today. Dropped my car ofd and went over all the issues with my tech. They gave me $500 uber credits

1. The headlight drl - He said it was a known issue and they will replace the whole assembly if it is in stock. Check all your lights and make sure they are working.
2. Stereo and bluetooth mic not working - said they would trouble shoot. I could need a new amp or cpu. They will let me know if they can fix it or will have to order parts.
3. Passenger side windshield area where it meets the roof is a few mm higher than the rest. It almost looks like it is coming apart. Tech said most likely it wasn’t pushed/glued all the way down when they installed it. Make sure to check your windshields and roofs guys. They are ordering me a new windshield. The next available appointment is November.
4. Passenger trunk alignment and passenger side skirt panel gaps are slightly wider than the driver’s side. They said they are within spec and just variances in Tesla casting. This would definitely not be tolerated with any other manufacturer.

Overall I’m pretty disappointed I have all of these issues with a brand new car but hopefully everything will get fixed. I’m pretty happy with how the car drives.

Tolerances in casting? A cast part is 100% tooled by definition. I call BS on that.

No casting in the roof where the hatch is attached.

Gave the car its first wash after traveling across the country:
Nice! Did you end up getting it wrapped in PPF? I'm looking at a place in Naperville that's charging 5k for full wrap of XPEL Stealth and then 895 for lifetime warranty on Ceramic Coating. Great reviews, so put down a deposit to hold an appointment there, but curious if you found any better options in the area.

Wait. So pricing is negotiable now? Is it only negotiable for FSD?
A lot of things are negotiable on the last day of the quarter, if the stars align. Heck, last quarter there was someone on this thread that was comped Arachnids (which would've been $4500 PLUS the $10,000 pricing adjustment for changing your spec) just so they could sell the car to him within the quarter. It's all on a case-by-case basis, and if it helps Tesla, they're sometimes willing to play ball.

EDIT: that said, I got a $2000 discount on FSD, but that's because I placed my order originally when FSD was $8k. When they converted my order (from Plaid+ to Plaid), they couldn't convert the FSD price at 8k, so they gave me a $2000 "referral discount".

The negative reviews I found with the body shop I visited was all about paint matching issues.

At any rate, I have not hit an animal on the road since I was a teenager, and no one has ever hit my parked car before. What the hell else can happen to the very first new car I have purchased, and the most expensive car I have ever owned. I'm expecting a jet engine to fall out of the sky tomorrow.
You’re not Donnie Darko are you?

You’re not Donnie Darko are you?
I'm not wearing this silly human suit for nothing.

Also, to update my current crisis, Tesla quoted me at $2300 to replace both rear bumper panels. I also found the impact also damaged the trunk lid 🤬, so tomorrow I have to visit another body shop to get a quote for that repair as well. All told I suspect the cost of this is going to run around $5000.

Well...no model year 2022 for me...because...after almost 8 months of waiting...IT just happened folks! VIN assigned to my RN...

VIN 5YJSA1E68MFxxxx (RN11446xxx - ordered 2/5/21)! 😁👍:cool: Delivery says 10/5 - 10/14 and wants payment...um no, I'm bringing a Cashier's Check...so I called that (888) 518-3752 number for Tesla and spoke with a nice gentleman there who said the vehicle is still in Fremont, CA getting ready to leave and get on the train to the East Coast and then to South Florida...so likely delivery the week of 10/11/21.

I just emailed our local SC Mgr & FL RM, so I can schedule delivery/pickup! I'm excited yes...annoyed IF they make 10/1/21+ builds model year 2022 but whatever, I guess it doesn't matter, and now I'm finally getting my car after 8 months! 😃;)
UPDATE on my Order & VIN...sad, very sad and disappointing to say the least (especially when I see a few other MS Plaids w/ white/cf interiors being delivered)...

Freaked out yesterday when my account suddenly lost my VIN and all the documents (which I had already saved with the assigned VIN showing on all the documents); sent an email last night to my local Tesla SC Mgr & RM & then called that (888) 518-3752 Tesla number this morning. Received the below email from my SC Mgr at the same time they actually connected me to him on the phone this morning:

"Apologies for this inconvenience of being unmatched from this VIN. I did some digging to understand the reason, and it looks like there was a shift in production for similar reasons that has delayed your account multiple times. This VIN was not fully produced and out of the factory yet. When I did a deep dive for a full understanding, they let me know that this VIN will not be produced.

As this is obviously not the most convenient situation, please know this VIN was not allocated to another customer in California, it just isn’t being produced due to supply chain issues. I just checked your account for factory dates, and it looks like mid-October – mid-November is the new timeline. Again, I do apologies that this has happened to you, unfortunately this is completely out of our hands."

Wow! So, Tesla had a vehicle for me (in production) and assigned a VIN to my RN and Tesla account BUT then what? They realized mid-way through production that they didn't have all the necessary parts to produce that vehicle? So, they're claiming they're going to TRASH that VIN and reassign me a completely different VIN (whether that vehicle or a different one) later for possible delivery????? I mean, REALLY? I'm beyond disappointed and frustrated through this entire process (> 8 months now), and now they're playing MORE games by assigning VINs and then taking them away (claiming they did NOT reassign that vehicle and VIN to someone else local in CA) just a couple weeks before supposed delivery of the vehicle? And exactly WHAT parts are they missing now????? White seats again???? Carbon fiber again???? Computer chips????? WTF?!?!?!?!?!?! 🤔🤬

So, here I am again...playing the (yet another) 4-6+ week waiting game again for another VIN (which may or may not be taken away from me?). Although I do know I'll love the MS Plaid if/when I actually take delivery of it (by the end of the year....maybe?) BUT I can say with 100% certainty, Tesla has NOT gained a loyal repeat customer with me after this Tesla MS Plaid; it will likely be my first and my last Tesla unless Tesla can actually implement some serious corporate changes that improve the customer ordering/production/delivery experience. If not, I am so done with Tesla after this car. Period. 🤬

I'm not wearing this silly human suit for nothing.

Also, to update my current crisis, Tesla quoted me at $2300 to replace both rear bumper panels. I also found the impact also damaged the trunk lid 🤬, so tomorrow I have to visit another body shop to get a quote for that repair as well. All told I suspect the cost of this is going to run around $5000.

Assume bad things come in threes.

You should have stellar luck from now on...

Joshua I will take better pictures later promise outside. Looks like you have the same build. Showing off all the tesla products in first view. The right car is a white model Y. Getting in it is much lower than the Model Y.

Love the Plaid. I updated the excel sheet. Show up under whites with vin now.

2. My Tesla App just keep spinning for this Tesla. I connected to wireless but connections seems slow still. Tried a hard reboot. Vent button for example does not work on mine yet.

3. Don't know where to add my "home" address yet?? Hard to find. Did homelink with garage opener successfully.

4. Getting ceramic and tints starting this weekend. Only about $1.1K combined. Not getting ppf, just cant justify the price in my head.

5. No idea yet how to engage autopilot. Not like the Y with the stalks. Getting out of the LOT was hilarious, I couldn't find the turn signals when I first left the lot. I picked up in Fremont not Dublin.

6. I did not receive floor mats??
I appreciate the info and pics. Beautiful car. Enjoy!

Extremely pessimistic view: I'd say the VIN assignment and pulling was a ploy to try to get orders funded, but they can't recognize that revenue so it wouldn't help except for a cash on hand figure.
Don't know. But I really thought they reassigned that VIN and that vehicle to someone else more local in CA to accept payment and delivery today for another EOQ "sale." However, I have in writing that they did not do so, although I have no way of checking on that right now. However, what I can say is that this ploy if done by Tesla or any other auto manufacturer like this, would likely be completely ILLEGAL! I had already saved and printed out all the documents with that specific VIN that was assigned to my RN. And IF that VIN and that exact vehicle goes to someone else specifically so they can get the $$ for EOQ today, then that's so f'ed up and ILLEGAL! Bad business practices and illegal activity!!!! 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 I was ready to contact the Office of Legal Counsel for the US NHTSA to report this illegal activity. They are claiming that the VIN will NOT be used and that specific vehicle could not pass through full and complete production to be released to anyone.

Don't know. But I really thought they reassigned that VIN and that vehicle to someone else more local in CA to accept payment and delivery today. However, I have in writing that they did not do so, although I have no way of checking on that right now. However, what I can say is that this ploy if done by Tesla or any other auto manufacturer like this, would likely be completely ILLEGAL! I had already saved and printed out all the documents with that specific VIN that was assigned to my RN. And IF that VIN and that exact vehicle goes to someone else specifically so they can get the $$ for EOQ today, then that's so f'ed up and ILLEGAL! Bad business practices and illegal activity!!!! 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 They are claiming that the VIN will NOT be used and that speific vehicle could not pass through full and complete production to be released to anyone.
Remember when Tesla double dipped payments a few quarters ago at EOQ?

I'm currently in a VIN situation, but within 150 miles of Fremont and a wide delivery window, its clear the car doesn't actually exist in totality yet. Expecting the VIN to go away.

Remember when Tesla double dipped payments a few quarters ago at EOQ?

I'm currently in a VIN situation, but within 150 miles of Fremont and a wide delivery window, its clear the car doesn't actually exist in totality yet. Expecting the VIN to go away.
Super, super sketchy business practices and that's why you shouldn't pay for the vehicle up front! I made it a point to let them know that I was not paying up front before inspecting the vehicle first; I would be bringing a Cashier's Check on the day of delivery and will hand it over after inspection. Tesla is sooooo F'ING SHADY!!!! Imagine had I already PAID for this f'ing car with that f'in VIN which they took away from me?!?!?!? SHADY BULLSH!t!!! 🤬 🤬 🤬

Super, super sketchy business practices and that's why you shouldn't pay for the vehicle up front! I made it a point to let them know that I was not paying up front before inspecting the vehicle first; I would be bringing a Cashier's Check on the day of delivery and will hand it over after inspection. Tesla is sooooo F'ING SHADY!!!! Imagine had I already PAID for this f'ing car with that f'in VIN which they took away from me?!?!?!? SHADY BULLSH!t!!! 🤬 🤬 🤬
I'm with you on the payment front. Tesla is like our shady neighborhood used car dealer, but we still want the cars ;)