Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Go to 2:45. He removes traction control and you see real quick why the power is limited out of a dig. The wheels get smoked.
Exactly! This is what I meant @uthatcher! These cars don't truly grip up until around 60 to 80mph. So there is always some limiting, even if it feels like it grips up.
I still stick with what I said earlier though about Tesla specifically tuning the car for a specific performance metric of course, as the car should then be faster where there is more traction, which it largely isn't.😄

UNDER2 was available in California. I thought it may be a bit much
They wrote my dial in time for the drag brackets on my window. Since it nicely matched up with my best time I left it on for my photo shoot at the factory on the way home.

2A3C654B-A125-4681-A862-CB3B93984A98.jpeg

They (DMV CA) took my money months ago. Still no plate. Still no car either. So whatever. :)

Same here. And all I wanted was the SAME text on a different plate color. Still waiting.

They had no problem sending the bill for the upcoming registration 3 months early though.

And, in May, spent 3.5 hours in line at the DMV to get the plate change, only to be told it had to be done on line...

Only CA DMV could make Tesla look good in communication and delivery...

He should have been successful because the DMV is the government and the 1st Amendment. I always wondered how states got away with judging your plates.

I'm not a vanity plate kind of person; but when the Plaid came out, the Tesla critics collapsed down to "but it has no soul!" Oh, I need that on many levels. NO SOUL not available in FL in any combination. Don't know if it's taken or not allowed. LUCIFER isn't available, either.

I'm sorry to hear that. I guess some folks back east are offended, because unlike SoCal, the freeways are not covered in offensive graffiti, so a double entendre plate really sticks out...

Exactly! This is what I meant @uthatcher! These cars don't truly grip up until around 60 to 80mph. So there is always some limiting, even if it feels like it grips up.
I still stick with what I said earlier though about Tesla specifically tuning the car for a specific performance metric of course, as the car should then be faster where there is more traction, which it largely isn't.😄
This is exactly the RC car comparison you mentioned earlier. Unleash all the power and this is what happens…total badassness.

But to me this just validates what I’ve been saying. Tesla is restricting power so that it never, ever, EVER, gets into the 4-wheel a burnout situation. The power is there. I do not believe the car is so good at reading traction that it’s the TC regulating ouput. I believe the ECU is regulating output, with TC intervening only when necessary. This dude in the video just throws the car completely out of wack by disconnecting sensors. Most of us also don’t know what type of preloading of the drivetrain is possible with these sensors disconnected. Does the car get confused and allow a certain amount of throttle and brake at the same time, enabling an easier 4-wheel burnout?

Just think what the car would run, unleashed like in this video, with 4 wheel 888r’s. I wish this dude would run the car this way with good tires. Then we’d see. I’d be willing to bet a sizable sum that the car would run hard. It may break, but it would run hard and I believe break records.

I don’t believe there is any way that TC could seamlessly regulate the massive amount of torque on display in this video and felt in the car at speed. I still believe torque is capped until 30-40 mph, then unleashed from there. Probably in a linear increase of torque until it finally dumps full power. And I believe that the only way to trick it is by lightening the vehicle, or disconnecting sensors. Or artificially boost it with gravity by going downhill.

All of this makes me want to go tear into my Plaid. I’m right in the middle of the book Thinking, Fast and Slow so I’m definitely questioning my own biases in my assessment!

This is exactly the RC car comparison you mentioned earlier. Unleash all the power and this is what happens…total badassness.

But to me this just validates what I’ve been saying. Tesla is restricting power so that it never, ever, EVER, gets into the 4-wheel a burnout situation. The power is there. I do not believe the car is so good at reading traction that it’s the TC regulating ouput. I believe the ECU is regulating output, with TC intervening only when necessary. This dude in the video just throws the car completely out of wack by disconnecting sensors. Most of us also don’t know what type of preloading of the drivetrain is possible with these sensors disconnected. Does the car get confused and allow a certain amount of throttle and brake at the same time, enabling an easier 4-wheel burnout?

Just think what the car would run, unleashed like in this video, with 4 wheel 888r’s. I wish this dude would run the car this way with good tires. Then we’d see. I’d be willing to bet a sizable sum that the car would run hard. It may break, but it would run hard and I believe break records.

I don’t believe there is any way that TC could seamlessly regulate the massive amount of torque on display in this video and felt in the car at speed. I still believe torque is capped until 30-40 mph, then unleashed from there. Probably in a linear increase of torque until it finally dumps full power. And I believe that the only way to trick it is by lightening the vehicle, or disconnecting sensors. Or artificially boost it with gravity by going downhill.

All of this makes me want to go tear into my Plaid. I’m right in the middle of the book Thinking, Fast and Slow so I’m definitely questioning my own biases in my assessment!
He would probably kill himself if he tried to do a full run even with 888s. AWD or not, these wheels are instantly spinning at 163 mph without TC, and that would either break things or risk spinning the car out around the 1/8 mile. If all tires are spinning, you have no steering. I personally would never do this to my personal car, but it is interesting to watch. Just really dangerous, as this is uncharted territory that even Tesla engineers probably haven't explored.
Plus with his recent escapade as a submarine, water has absolutely entered the drive unit, so unless he swaps that fluid, we should be seeing a "My Plaid Broke Down" video pretty soon. He's ****ed up that poor car pretty good lol. I wouldn't touch it with a mile long pole lol.
And yep they are absolutely limiting power, especially until 30 mph. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: impastu and jebinc
He would probably kill himself if he tried to do a full run even with 888s. AWD or not, these wheels are instantly spinning at 163 mph without TC, and that would either break things or risk spinning the car out around the 1/8 mile. If all tires are spinning, you have no steering. I personally would never do this to my personal car, but it is interesting to watch.
Plus with his recent escapade as a submarine, water has absolutely entered the drive unit, so unless he swaps that fluid, we should be seeing a "My Plaid Broke Down" video pretty soon. He's ****ed up that poor car pretty good lol. I wouldn't touch it with a mile long pole lol.
So, I would try it. I won’t try it because I need to drive my damn car, but this is something I’d try given the opportunity. I’m dumb like that…the curiosity just gets the best of me and the next thing you know everything is broken. I guess in a way I’m lucky it’s not easy to drag race in SoCal anymore…saves me a destroyed Plaid. I’m kind of surprised Brooks hasn’t done something like this to derestrict his car. He doesn’t really break stuff though so maybe that’s why.

But I do not believe the car would spin at anywhere near 163 mph. I don’t even believe the car would break lose at anything over 30-40 mph so long as traction is at a decent level. Decent not even meaning a prepped surface. I believe it would squirm, tramline, and torque steer a lot, but I do not believe it would break traction anything like this video.

For this video keep in mind that once traction is broken like this, it is not easily regained.

I’m of the opinion that people underestimate traction, particularly when a vehicle is already in motion. I have a particular motorcycle that makes over 200 hp to the rear wheel and weighs 400 fully filled. It has a 200 series Pirelli rear tire. Motorcycles use a very small contact patch when compared to cars. That bike never has a traction problem in a straight line, no matter the speed. The wheelie aspect could be why, but the bike is moving 2 pounds per HP vs the Plaid moving around 4.4 pounds per HP. And the contact patch on any car is way, way more than a motorcycle.

This isn’t to say that if a Plaid could be derestricted that it wouldn’t overwhelm its tires. From a stop, for sure it would, as seen in the video. But then again, with good tires and a prepped surface that would hold that much power, the car is running deep 8’s. Way deep.

He would probably kill himself if he tried to do a full run even with 888s. AWD or not, these wheels are instantly spinning at 163 mph without TC, and that would either break things or risk spinning the car out around the 1/8 mile. If all tires are spinning, you have no steering. I personally would never do this to my personal car, but it is interesting to watch. Just really dangerous, as this is uncharted territory that even Tesla engineers probably haven't explored.
Oh I misunderstood what you meant about the wheels spinning. I doubt they’re spinning at 163 due to the tremendous friction, but yeah, I know what you mean.

Oh I misunderstood what you meant about the wheels spinning. I doubt they’re spinning at 163 due to the tremendous friction, but yeah, I know what you mean.
Yeah exactly. If you listen to Mate Rimac discuss the Nevera's Drift Mode, he describes how hard it is to calibrate, as the tires go to max RPM instantly, and it kills stability right away. And yeah I think traction is underestimated often, but here it is different. This is 1,050 lb-ft, instantly, with no TC. People underestimate Tesla tremendous traction control abilities, and I would think it downright dangerous to run.
Now we can guess, and I would say <9s for sure if you could get the thing to grip. That's a huge issue though, as much of the time would be spent trying to manually control traction through the accelerator.

Yeah exactly. If you listen to Mate Rimac discuss the Nevera's Drift Mode, he describes how hard it is to calibrate, as the tires go to max RPM instantly, and it kills stability right away. And yeah I think traction is underestimated often, but here it is different. This is 1,050 lb-ft, instantly, with no TC. People underestimate Tesla tremendous traction control abilities, and I would think it downright dangerous to run.
Now we can guess, and I would say <9s for sure if you could get the thing to grip. That's a huge issue though, as much of the time would be spent trying to manually control traction through the accelerator.
Don’t make me ruin my car. The more we discuss this the more I want to disconnect the TC, our good tires on and run it. That would be a damn interesting video. No matter the outcome. 😆

Well, so far I can’t help but gush about Rivian stock. And Rivian drug Lucid with it today. Maybe it dips soon, but geez, anything even remotely involving EV’s is red hot.
For sure! You see that Rivian updated their configurator? Oh and also, Kyle Conner from Out of Spec reviews drove a R1T today and was really impressed:

For sure! You see that Rivian updated their configurator? Oh and also, Kyle Conner from Out of Spec reviews drove a R1T today and was really impressed:

I did not see their configuration update, I’ll check it out. I hope they make it. I feel like with the Amazon money behind them they’ll be fine. Still, it s a huge battle. I really do like the look of the truck, honestly more than a CT. Last summer I saw them driving around quite often and they look good. But the charging network is a dealbreaker for me if they do not have access to SC’s.

I did not see their configuration update, I’ll check it out. I hope they make it. I feel like with the Amazon money behind them they’ll be fine. Still, it s a huge battle. I really do like the look of the truck, honestly more than a CT. Last summer I saw them driving around quite often and they look good. But the charging network is a dealbreaker for me if they do not have access to SC’s.
Yeah we will have to see on the charging. Yeah I think they will be just fine with that backing. That and Lucid with the Saudi backing.