Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too much?

8B4A284E-33A1-4314-805E-10D331AD59C8.jpeg

What changes have they influenced in the auto industry in regards to production and service?

I’m not arguing that Tesla’s model can’t be better, I’m saying right now it’s garbage, it used to be great but the fact that they did not scale their service center and staff growth with their growing sales resulted in a terrible post purchase experience.
Tesla has advanced automobile production far beyond the legacy auto stasis. For instance, VW has asknowledged that Tesla is far ahead, taking only 10 hours to assemble a car when VW takes 30. The large casting machines are a quantum leap in manufacturing efficiency.
As for service, I read a lot of anecdotal whinging about "bad service" but my experience over seven years (including recent visits for 12v battery and MCU2) has always been excellent availability, performance and professionalism.

What changes have they influenced in the auto industry in regards to production and service?

I’m not arguing that Tesla’s model can’t be better, I’m saying right now it’s garbage, it used to be great but the fact that they did not scale their service center and staff growth with their growing sales resulted in a terrible post purchase experience.
Production = EV adoption to the mainstream. Vertical integration of production that legacy manufacturers specifically moved away from for years and now want to move back to for battery manufacturing.
Service = Mobile service techs, OTA diagnostics and updates

This list can go on and on. Not liking how one is being treated is not the same as believing the system is unsuccessful.

I'm not saying by any means it's perfect, far from it. The difficulties they are having, and by proxy the customers are having, is noise. The system overall is better and lost auto manufacturers are moving towards the Tesla system, not further away. But the system needs serious refinement.

It seems that Tesla is only interested in sales numbers and not service. However, I’m have a mobile appointment tomorrow for a Homelink module installation and I only had to wait a week.

I might have my Plaid delivery event badge installed too. My neighbor called the MY plain. 🦚
So, in spite of your excellent service experience you are willing to bash Tesla's service? Based on other random whingers?

First, There is no such thing as a Tesla Dealer. Tesla sell directly to the consumer. There are Tesla sales, service centers and show rooms around most major population centers. Currently there are 35 Tesla Model S Plaids sitting in Sales centers in Boston and New York. This is indicative of a developing Glut of MS Plaids and is undoubtedly caused by the high profit margins associated with MS Plaid. Tesla will soon cut production of MS Plaids and make more MS LR's to avoid becoming over inventoried in Plaids and causing problems with the Analysts, which will affect share price. If you are waiting in line for a MS Refresh expect delivery this spring at the latest. IMO Tesla's waiting list for MS Refresh, both Plaid and LR, is going to fade into the dust bin of history.
P.S. If you don't believe my numbers go into the Tesla web site and count 'em.
Uh, yes, I'm aware of how Tesla sales network functions.

And no, there is not a glut. I do believe your numbers, I do not agree with your analysis.

Tesla has advanced automobile production far beyond the legacy auto stasis. For instance, VW has acknowledged that Tesla is far ahead, taking only 10 hours to assemble a car when VW takes 30. The large casting machines are a quantum leap in manufacturing efficiency.
As for service, I read a lot of anecdotal whining about "bad service" but my experience over seven years (including recent visits for 12v battery and MCU2) has always been excellent availability, performance and professionalism.
Yeah I thought the same lol! Not ahead in production wuuutttt?? Ever heard of a Gigacasting or a structural pack lol? I mean the alloys themselves that go into the Gigacasting are insane! Tesla has without a doubt one of the best metallurgy teams in the world. What car maker invents their own alloys? Every casting they implement eliminates as much as 300 robots on the production line! As Elon has said, Tesla's long term advantage will absolutely be manufacturing. No one will be able to catch up. They may be able to get to current Tesla levels by like 2030, but where will Tesla be then? It's not like Tesla is sitting around waiting for someone to come and get them lol.
And I didn't even dive into how far upstream they are going to with the lithium production process; even extracting lithium from clay if they need to. Tesla has massively locked down their supply chain, while everyone else is still scrambling to produce EVs in the first place! :)

Last edited:
Yeah I thought the same lol! Not ahead in production wuuutttt?? Ever heard of a Gigacasting or a structural pack lol? I mean the alloys themselves that go into the Gigacasting are insane! Tesla has without a doubt one of the best metallurgy teams in the world. What car maker invents their own alloys? Every casting they implement eliminates as much as 300 robots on the production line! As Elon has said, Tesla's long term advantage will absolutely be manufacturing. No one will be able to catch up. They may be able to get to current Tesla levels by like 2030, but where will Tesla be then? It's not Tesla is sitting around waiting for someone to come and get them lol.
And I didn't even dive into how far upstream they are going to with the lithium production process; even extracting lithium from clay if they need to. Tesla has massively locked down their supply chain, while everyone else is still scrambling to produce EVs in the first place! :)
Thank you and @mspohr for expanding on my answer, both are much better stated.

Uh, yes, I'm aware of how Tesla sales network functions.

And no, there is not a glut. I do believe your numbers, I do not agree with your analysis.
35 cars in inventory when you are selling more than a thousand a month is nothing. Legacy auto regularly has 100 days inventory and they don't consider that a glut.

Yeah I thought the same lol! Not ahead in production wuuutttt?? Ever heard of a Gigacasting or a structural pack lol? I mean the alloys themselves that go into the Gigacasting are insane! Tesla has without a doubt one of the best metallurgy teams in the world. What car maker invents their own alloys? Every casting they implement eliminates as much as 300 robots on the production line! As Elon has said, Tesla's long term advantage will absolutely be manufacturing. No one will be able to catch up. They may be able to get to current Tesla levels by like 2030, but where will Tesla be then? It's not like Tesla is sitting around waiting for someone to come and get them lol.
We've agreed to this before, but based on the fly overs, when everyone else is reducing production, etc. or has trucks sitting at kentucky speedway visible from space, the fremont factory looks like ants all over the place, with a LOT of activity in the logistics lot.
ironically, it seems the stuff the cars come missing (not the usb-c stuff or chargers on the Y's, but the matts on the S's) seem to me, to be, stuff that Tesla may not produce in house.
and i wonder if and when that might change.
as usual, i hate their CS or lack thereof, hate their lack of transparency...and love their innovation.

Tesla has advanced automobile production far beyond the legacy auto stasis. For instance, VW has asknowledged that Tesla is far ahead, taking only 10 hours to assemble a car when VW takes 30. The large casting machines are a quantum leap in manufacturing efficiency.
As for service, I read a lot of anecdotal whinging about "bad service" but my experience over seven years (including recent visits for 12v battery and MCU2) has always been excellent availability, performance and professionalism.
I'd like to visit a SvC like you describe. Any particular one you recommend?

No Change in my EDD for the last three weeks..Still EOQ1 2022, for an LR.

So, in spite of your excellent service experience you are willing to bash Tesla's service? Based on other random whingers?
My first service will be tomorrow. I hope it goes well.

It’s the two delivery appointments that were not impressive. On both deliveries, I never had any SA call me or had anyone assigned, that I was made aware. My first delivery was a failure because there was no car. I drove over two hours for nothing. The Orlando service center is way too small. There’s only a few spots available for parking. I think the service varies depending on the service center. I’m glad you’ve had good service @mspohr , but not everyone has had the same experience.

Hello everyone. I know that there are obvious delays with the Model S, but I wanted to see if my case was extreme. I placed my order on July 11, and at that time, Tesla gave a delivery window of September-October. That obviously came and went with delivery dates being pushed out to November and then December. My most recent window was December 21-31, which was a much smaller time frame than the 1 month windows I have been getting in the past. So I thought that was more concrete. Well last night, my profile updated to a delivery window of January 6-February 3. That pushes me to 6 months post order for a possible delivery.

Are others in the same boat for delivery time frames? I figured waiting 3-4 months would be long enough. But 6 months plus is getting out of hand. Please let me know if others are experiencing the same length of delays.

Hello everyone. I know that there are obvious delays with the Model S, but I wanted to see if my case was extreme. I placed my order on July 11, and at that time, Tesla gave a delivery window of September-October. That obviously came and went with delivery dates being pushed out to November and then December. My most recent window was December 21-31, which was a much smaller time frame than the 1 month windows I have been getting in the past. So I thought that was more concrete. Well last night, my profile updated to a delivery window of January 6-February 3. That pushes me to 6 months post order for a possible delivery.

Are others in the same boat for delivery time frames? I figured waiting 3-4 months would be long enough. But 6 months plus is getting out of hand. Please let me know if others are experiencing the same length of delays.
I'm just passed 8 months and will probably get it in Jan if I'm lucky. They're prioritizing plaids and LRs are on turtle pace, especially white interiors.

Production = EV adoption to the mainstream. Vertical integration of production that legacy manufacturers specifically moved away from for years and now want to move back to for battery manufacturing.
Service = Mobile service techs, OTA diagnostics and updates

This list can go on and on. Not liking how one is being treated is not the same as believing the system is unsuccessful.

I'm not saying by any means it's perfect, far from it. The difficulties they are having, and by proxy the customers are having, is noise. The system overall is better and lost auto manufacturers are moving towards the Tesla system, not further away. But the system needs serious refinement.
I never said anything about not liking the way I was being treated. Not even even sure what you mean by that.
And again the system is unsuccessful because Tesla isn’t interested in investing money into that part of the business. You can’t honestly say that as is Tesla’s current model is overall better than a dealer?
I can call my local BMW dealer and schedule an appointment for no longer than 2 business days out, their parts stock is much better than Tesla’s.

And again Tesla’s model COULD be better but it’s NOT AT THE MOMENT.

I'd like to visit a SvC like you describe. Any particular one you recommend?

No Change in my EDD for the last three weeks..Still EOQ1 2022, for an LR.
Sure, Costa Mesa, Lake Forest, and even Temecula where I took delivery were very helpful and responsive to my every quibble. Oh, and Santa Ana once too.

It seems that Tesla is only interested in sales numbers and not service. However, I’m have a mobile appointment tomorrow for a Homelink module installation and I only had to wait a week.

I might have my Plaid delivery event badge installed too. My neighbor called the MY plain. 🦚

Probably just jealous. I'd reply, "I have a plaid, I don't need no stinking badge!"

Mobile is the one stellar thing about Tesla service, in my experience.

Well I called and was a little meaner than I intended to be to the poor customer service agent, but eventually he was able to tell me that my soft match build date is 1/21/22. He said everyone has access to this tool but it is a very rough estimate and frequently changes which is why most people pretend it does not exist and do not give this information out. This comes from Tesla though so take its accuracy with a grain of salt lol

Also he said that they do not assign SA's anymore and there is no SA ownership of accounts like there was previously.

Last edited:
I never said anything about not liking the way I was being treated. Not even even sure what you mean by that.
And again the system is unsuccessful because Tesla isn’t interested in investing money into that part of the business. You can’t honestly say that as is Tesla’s current model is overall better than a dealer?
I can call my local BMW dealer and schedule an appointment for no longer than 2 business days out, their parts stock is much better than Tesla’s.

And again Tesla’s model COULD be better but it’s NOT AT THE MOMENT.
Implying you are not being treated in a satisfactory manor is a result of your case being subjective. I can honestly, yet subjectively, say Tesla's model is better than other manufacturer's model. I have had better interactions with Tesla in both service and sales, after purchasing 3 cars from them, than I have had with Mercedes, for instance. But it's a subjective measure.

Qualitatively I, and a few others, have stated how Tesla is successful. And that the auto industry is moving towards their model, not distancing themselves from Tesla's model. I've already conceded that Tesla could do it better, this is not what was originally stated. What was originally stated is that Tesla's model is not successful.