Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean this is EXACTLY what I'm thinking. Nowadays Ford and VW's CEOs are admitting that Tesla is in the lead big time. And the ones that don't....................well they may not be around in ten year's time to "lead the way". People don't understand the scale of what must be done for the ICE making companies to transition. I would literally run into the character limit on here explaining it. As a brief example, think about the financial carnage that's about to happen to these companies barely aiming for a couple million EVs by 2030. In 2030, there will be next to no ICEs selling. Toyota just announced an increase in EV production to 3.5 million/year in 2030. 2030?! Bad bad news. No one will want them, and gas prices will be skyrocketing, due to the loss of economies of scale as ICE production declines. And that brings me onto another issue, the double whammy of billions of dollars needing to be spent on new technologies in EVs, and the simultaneous loss of economies of scale as ICE sales dwindle. Literally being hit from both sides.
Not many people get this (including some....err....high-level executives at *certain* car makers), and it will be really bad. Additionally, no one, and I repeat no one has the supply chain locked down like Tesla will. What happens when the Lithium production shortages in ~2024-2026 occur? Do you think the suppliers are going to want to give any lithium to other car makers when their long term customer needs lithium for 4+ million cars? Nope. And if they won't, Tesla will go into mining lithium. That's something that no car maker I think gets. Tesla will literally do whatever it takes to transition the world to sustainable energy. They will master any skill they need. They are ruthless in this pursuit, as they urgently want the world to be in a better place.
Tesla is the new benchmark here, and everyone is trying to follow, whether they admit it or not. And honestly, I put the EV startups at a higher success chance than some legacy auto makers. :)
I t
Sorry @IamGaryGnu...........that piece is intended for Plaids with 21's..........since you ordered 19s, it won't fit your car.
wwwwwwwaaaaa :( now I have to wait for Fremont. I wonder if they'll deliver mine on the Tesla Semi, with my CyberTruck

New taillights!!!! God they look soooo good!!!

You are far more plugged in than me (might be a bot thing). Personally, I don't see a major difference, and I really don't have a preference, but that being the case, I'd rather have "new" than "old" - any idea if that is the new norm, or if/when it is coming out?
i think the rumor the other day was these would allow more compatibility for european charging.
Unlike the Plaid unicorns, i'm wondering how the tail lights would affect resale.
So, if, IF I could pick up a current version NF say, January 2022, or a refreshed tailight variant February - other than the loss of time, would it increase or possibly even decrease the value on a resale?
thanks for any thoughts!

So, since I"m still waiting...for everything, and I vacillate like a bear in a shooting gallery...I'd appreciate any thoughts here:
1) If I lease, I know my costs, etc. - and for 3 years, it will cost i think 45% of the purchase price. Right now all in I'm $94k I think, and may drop FSD for another $10k savings on the purchase, but far more likely to keep it on a lease though. So, let's figure 55% of $94k = $51,700 for 3 years, not counting interest and tags, bank fees, yada.
2) If I buy, figure I drive no more than about 10k/year and wouldn't keep beyond 3 years. I would ceramic coat, decided against PPF. So, $84k or so.
the next question is, what can i resell it for in 3 years, and if i have an accident that will crush the calculations, but I think it wis reasonable I can sell for what, $60k? would anyone pay $75k in 3 years?
I figure more chips, possibly even cheaper S's at that time, more availability, Lucid, Rivian, etc. plus the other manufacturers.
IF I can sell for $60k, after paying $84k, not counting maybe wear items like tires (and blinker fluid) my cost would then be some $24k, so that's half the cost of the lease.
anybody have any thoughts or suggestions on the analysis? I was thinking of going back to a lease, but it looks like buyign and then resellign is the way to go. cars generally go up about 2%/year in the non covid world. I have no idea how prices will go, or if Tesla will even cut prices. Thanks again for any help with the analysis.

You are far more plugged in than me (might be a bot thing). Personally, I don't see a major difference, and I really don't have a preference, but that being the case, I'd rather have "new" than "old" - any idea if that is the new norm, or if/when it is coming out?
i think the rumor the other day was these would allow more compatibility for european charging.
Unlike the Plaid unicorns, i'm wondering how the tail lights would affect resale.
So, if, IF I could pick up a current version NF say, January 2022, or a refreshed tailight variant February - other than the loss of time, would it increase or possibly even decrease the value on a resale?
thanks for any thoughts!
My guess is quite soon. These lights appear to be diffused (solid beam of light and not individual pixels), and have a bigger charge part, similar to the Model 3 and Y. But they don't appear to be changing anything body related, which means two things: One, that they can continue selling the car without having to re crash test it, and Two, they can make this running change on the production line very easily, as no big machines or presses need to be recalibrated. This also indicates that retrofits *might* be possible.

So, since I"m still waiting...for everything, and I vacillate like a bear in a shooting gallery...I'd appreciate any thoughts here:
1) If I lease, I know my costs, etc. - and for 3 years, it will cost i think 45% of the purchase price. Right now all in I'm $94k I think, and may drop FSD for another $10k savings on the purchase, but far more likely to keep it on a lease though. So, let's figure 55% of $94k = $51,700 for 3 years, not counting interest and tags, bank fees, yada.
2) If I buy, figure I drive no more than about 10k/year and wouldn't keep beyond 3 years. I would ceramic coat, decided against PPF. So, $84k or so.
the next question is, what can i resell it for in 3 years, and if i have an accident that will crush the calculations, but I think it wis reasonable I can sell for what, $60k? would anyone pay $75k in 3 years?
I figure more chips, possibly even cheaper S's at that time, more availability, Lucid, Rivian, etc. plus the other manufacturers.
IF I can sell for $60k, after paying $84k, not counting maybe wear items like tires (and blinker fluid) my cost would then be some $24k, so that's half the cost of the lease.
anybody have any thoughts or suggestions on the analysis? I was thinking of going back to a lease, but it looks like buyign and then resellign is the way to go. cars generally go up about 2%/year in the non covid world. I have no idea how prices will go, or if Tesla will even cut prices. Thanks again for any help with the analysis.
I would bet that you will come out far ahead buying vs. leasing. Tesla's don't lease well in general, they have high MF and low residuals. Considering the discount vs. MSRP you are likely paying, I would buy the car personally and bank on being able to drive it for 3 years for a relatively low amount of money. Things could always change for sure, Tesla could drop the model S price back to 69k and resale value could tank, but I dont see that happening in the near term. I mean heck buying it you could almost instantly resell it for +10-15k profit aftermarket right now.

I filled out my delivery survey for the Model Y. I rated the delivery as poor overall, especially compared to 2016. My narrative complained about poor communication and customer service.

I also mentioned my failed Model S delivery in November.

Has anyone received any response to their survey?

No, but a live person actually actually called me, on my phone, not text, on my service request!

Like I went back in time to 2018!

Perhaps the EM directive to not focus on deliveries will improve service as well. Time will tell.

I went through this exercise. Buying is the best option. I was told, until the summer of 2023, the demand for luxury used cars will remain high due to shortage of chips and materials. Car ownership by finance and lease in general, (unless you can expense it out) is very expensive. Reagrdless of the market conditions and pandemic, Teslas hold resale value pretty well. I ended up ordering the LR on cash option. With 400mile range and current technogy, i figured it is a good invesement to hold on to for a while. If an irresistible model comes in between, I can always trade in or sell. The prodcution issues that (besides their quality control) Tesla is facing are not unique to them. Competitors are facing the same issues if not more being new players.

I went through this exercise. Buying is the best option. I was told, until the summer of 2023, the demand for luxury used cars will remain high due to shortage of chips and materials. Car ownership by finance and lease in general, (unless you can expense it out) is very expensive. Reagrdless of the market conditions and pandemic, Teslas hold resale value pretty well. I ended up ordering the LR on cash option. With 400mile range and current technogy, i figured it is a good invesement to hold on to for a while. If an irresistible model comes in between, I can always trade in or sell. The prodcution issues that (besides their quality control) Tesla is facing are not unique to them. Competitors are facing the same issues if not more being new players.
thanks for the reply, i think your logic is sound. and, i can order a new S or whatever at the say, 2 year 9 month mark, and if we are still in a crunch, sell this car and pocket the difference....maybe.

So....who has 2 opposable thumbs and a VIN? <=== This guy!!! :)
just dropped this afternoon. NF463, yippie! Though, hard to be overly excited - if it comes when I'm out of the country, there's a real chance i'll lose this one, but i'll hope it gets delayed a few days.
fingers and legs crossed!
other data point - my app looked a tad different, and i had to do a double take (it's been like 7 months of checking all over the place, and maybe what, 1 or 2 months on app a zillion times a day.
also, on the website, my chrome plug in said "hey ahole, there's a vin!" (well, not those exact words) - so it worked, but i never had a hidden vin.
and yes, i've done the Ctl-U and Ctl-F to search for the VIN in the web code in the past - it would always come up with 109 results. Today was 111, and yes, i was able to see the VIN within the site.
previously, i'd also search for 5YJS and have that return nothing as well.
Feel's euphporic and scary, and again, trying not to get my hopes up when they may snatch this bad boy from me.
on the plus side, if they do take it away, ti's possible the next match would have the new tail lights.
who knows, maybe this one does?
1639688849747.png

Hi all,
I know this is old hat, but how do I have them remove the FSD without getting stuck with current pricing?
I also want to give a trade in a shot again, as givemethevin didn't bend over backwards to givemethemoney
i figure maybe i can accomplish both on the same call?
last question - if i'm sluggish to finalize the steps, will that hopefully stall things a few days, or will that have them yank the VIN from me?
my EDD ends 12/31, I need to get the car any time after 12/31 (my flight comes in I think 3pm, and my wife will divorce me if i drag her, 3 kids, and luggage from the airport to speed over to springfield on NYE...thanks all!
UPDATE - Being antsy, I called Tesla --- and someone answered! Actually, an advisor in NJ working out of his home. Decent guy.
1) was able to re-initiate the trade in option - so we'll see how that goes
2) felt there was no problem dropping the FSD, but had to initiate manually - I pray it didn't just cost me $15k
3) stated that all the 19's are coming with all season - i didn't press for "everywhere" or just north east or what
4) he didn't know anything about new tail lights. I believe him. He didn't say, "I can't talk about it, etc." - he seemed to not know.
5) finally, he was able to state (confidently) that my car didn't leave Fremont. He felt it was 2 weeks whether by rail or train. The 3 day delivery "take it or lose it" may actually start before the car is there, or at least the requirement that I schedule. He said he would send a note to the service center but I don't think it will do anything, but at the same time, if it doesn't arrive until say, January 3, well, that's perfect by me!
The 31st is a no go for me (and it looks like the car won't be here anyway, which is GREAT by me. The 1st? no deliveries. Second is a Sunday, no NJ deliveries. So that leaves the 3rd or later. As I see no way it can get to the service center before December 30, I should be golden....only flaw that I can see is if one of my family or I get get quarantined out of the country.
S is gettin' real!!!!!

Last edited: