Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know how production is going with the model S as of the new year?
We can track it via the Q4 results, and the total S and X production was 13,109. Subtracting around 3,000 to account for the X, and then dividing by 13 weeks, we arrive at a rate of ~777 cars/week. So the S line is almost fully ramped to their goal of 1000/week, and is getting there.

We can track it via the Q4 results, and the total S and X production was 13,109. Subtracting around 3,000 to account for the X, and then dividing by 13 weeks, we arrive at a rate of ~777 cars/week. So the S line is almost fully ramped to their goal of 1000/week, and is getting there.
Wow lots of info there!! I know there were rumors about making some changes to the car maybe taillights and possible pause in production. Just curious I’m sitting still with no changes to EDD and it’s getting closer and closer and want to make sure I have time to get my car up for trade in and insurance and such. Hopefully will narrow from my month EDD soon and get that glorious VIN.

Wow lots of info there!! I know there were rumors about making some changes to the car maybe taillights and possible pause in production. Just curious I’m sitting still with no changes to EDD and it’s getting closer and closer and want to make sure I have time to get my car up for trade in and insurance and such. Hopefully will narrow from my month EDD soon and get that glorious VIN.
Yeah we haven't seen that pause yet. I think it'll happen soon, but not yet. Probably sometime in Feb I would guess, or later this month.

Yeah we haven't seen that pause yet. I think it'll happen soon, but not yet. Probably sometime in Feb I would guess, or later this month.
Then on the other hand, maybe we have…..
Looks like they are eating away existing inventory. 126 to 77 in the new year.

No new S’s for 3 days according to this site: unless I’m reading it wrong. :)

So, if in fact the pause were as rumored to retool for the new tail light, would a retool really be indicated? From what I saw of the test mule, they would be changing the look of the trunk but not its attachment to the car and similarly changing the tail light assembly and possibly the socket thereof into the rear fender but again not changing the attachment of the rear fender to the car. Why would a retool be necessary if this were the case?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
So, if in fact the pause were as rumored to retool for the new tail light, would a retool really be indicated? From what I saw of the test mule, they would be changing the look of the trunk but not its attachment to the car and similarly changing the tail light assembly and possibly the socket thereof into the rear fender but again not changing the attachment of the rear fender to the car. Why would a retool be necessary if this were the case?
Because they would still maybe need to input new parts. I was thinking there wouldn't be one too, but there may be a really small one.

I think that is what everyone wishing for the new lights and with an open order is hoping.

The other question relates to the charging port. What impact would that have if changed?

Making sure I go in and screenshot my pricing sheet right now for safekeeping. Just in case...
thanks, better, downloaded the documents - and the SA called me back and told me to do the same as well.
it looks like they removed the FSD on the order agreement with the appropriate pricing, and the MVPA has the FSD still and that pricing, and now it is showing NO FSD with the FSD pricing.
i was waffling and said F it, I'll keep the FSD for the current $10k more price and call it a day and the SA said no, don't do that - was afraid i'd get charged yet another $10k for the FSD - said to wait until my price comes back down, and then decide on the FSD.
the SA was really bullish on it. I wanted it, and felt it "completed" the car, and i have FOMO, but buddy was pretty convincing about not dropping the $10k on it, and considering i'll likely trade my current car to Tesla, i might be better off with the subscription, especially if i only keep the S for 3 years as I currently plan to.
SA was also thinking, but of course not guaranteeing, that i'd have my car at the end of the EDD window (1/20) - without being a wise guy, i asked why the EDD can have say, January 6 when the car wasn't built yet, and the SA felt the EDD should be more accurately "VIN receipt range"
last time, i think i got my VIN at the start or a day or two into my EDD, so i think a possibly valid statement, is the start of the EDD is when you get your VIN and ideally the end of it is when you get your little buddy.

Looks like they are eating away existing inventory. 126 to 77 in the new year.

No new S’s for 3 days according to this site: unless I’m reading it wrong. :)

I spoke to two SA's today who believed my car was being built or imminent, no indication of a factory shut down or retooling.
it's possible they wouldn't know or be able to talk about it, but i believed them, and i truly think the factory is still spitting these out.
now, maybe it's possible the retooling is at part A, and other parts are being produced at part B, but i have no idea. i do believe start to finish is about 5 days for the produciton, with about 18 hours for the paint.

Screen protector thoughts please:
I know this is a personal decision. I think i'd like one.
I've seen some nice spigen ones with an applicator for the 3 and i guess Y. there is very little for the S.
there IS a matte TPU one, that uses liquid to adhere, and reviews are all over the place - "i'd give 0 stars" or "this thing is amazing"
i do like phone screen protectors. and i think the idea of matte versus shiny for the front would be a good thing. and i'd like a protector for the back screen, for when my cleat laden daughters and there friends go in the back, turf and all.
i'd appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, or guidance. thank you.

I've seen some nice spigen ones with an applicator for the 3 and i guess Y. there is very little for the S.
there IS a matte TPU one, that uses liquid to adhere, and reviews are all over the place - "i'd give 0 stars" or "this thing is amazing"
i do like phone screen protectors. and i think the idea of matte versus shiny for the front would be a good thing. and i'd like a protector for the back screen, for when my cleat laden daughters and there friends go in the back, turf and all.
Hey, hey, hey...what does this have to do with mid-80's CRX's or GM's new EV truck? Let's try to stay on topic....

That said, I do agree, it's hard to believe there is so little in the way of screen protectors for the refresh.

I spoke to two SA's today who believed my car was being built or imminent, no indication of a factory shut down or retooling.
it's possible they wouldn't know or be able to talk about it, but i believed them, and i truly think the factory is still spitting these out.
now, maybe it's possible the retooling is at part A, and other parts are being produced at part B, but i have no idea. i do believe start to finish is about 5 days for the produciton, with about 18 hours for the paint.
Surely you aren't speaking in ET?

Anyone know how production is going with the model S as of the new year?
Per 2 SAs i spoke with today, seems like it is going fine, i.e. my car is supposed to be produced imminently, and there was no word of a factory shut down. i regret not asking about it, but there was a lot of other ground to cover.
i'd be fine with an extra pause for a week or 2 for upgraded stuff, but if that is the case, looks like i'll just miss it.
would have bee nice, maybe new tail lights, i doubt matrix headlights, and (gasp) tilting screen?
on the other hand, i'm getting everything else i wanted, so i can't complain - i expect a fresh NF vin, all season tires, january 2022 delivery, and they removed FSD for me, so yeah, i'd consider that them giving me a 99 out of 100 on my wish list (okay, 60 out of 100, i wanted my car september, etc.)

Consider this from @iyordanov Premium Screen Protectors for 2021+ Tesla Model S / Model X (9H Hardness Front & Back)