Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would put a hold on your account before you get a VIN if that is what you want to do. If you get assigned a car and then "reject" it because it doesn't have the new lights it's a lot worse. My SA told me that they are only allowing people one rejection now, so once you reject it you will be forced to take the second one assigned to you or forfeit the order.How do
I would put a hold on your account before you get a VIN if that is what you want to do. If you get assigned a car and then "reject" it because it doesn't have the new lights it's a lot worse. My SA told me that they are only allowing people one rejection now, so once you reject it you will be forced to take the second one assigned to you or forfeit the order.
How do you put it on hold? And do you go to the back of the line? Mine is jan15-feb13 so I think I might be on the edge from what i hear.

I would put a hold on your account before you get a VIN if that is what you want to do. If you get assigned a car and then "reject" it because it doesn't have the new lights it's a lot worse. My SA told me that they are only allowing people one rejection now, so once you reject it you will be forced to take the second one assigned to you or forfeit the order.
Hold and ‘rejecting’ VINs are not much different to Tesla. They are now limiting the number of days you can hold and how much time you have after declining a VIN to be assigned a new one.

Ask me how I know? I’ve had to put our MYP in hold once, declined 3 Plaid VINs and put it on hold once. All because of travel and this damn Covid.

Last edited:
How do you put it on hold? And do you go to the back of the line? Mine is jan15-feb13 so I think I might be on the edge from what i hear.
Call. Text. Email. Whatever works.

You. Do. Not. Go. To. Back. Of. The. Line. :)

Sorry I’ve posted this numerous times for all the new folks.

So, the news has been abuzz about the Virginia 7 hour traffic jam in cold weather, with some folks saying how much worse it would have been if there were a lot more EV's. At least one youtuber did an experiment with his X (larger battery, no heat pump) and Y (with a heat pump) and it shows these things last about as long as gas cars.
I'm wondering - might we get better heat retention in bioweapon defense mode? i don't know if that creates positive air flow, i.e. pushes air out of the car (but then air has to get in there, so forget that statement) or does it do a really good job of recirculating the air (which may then retain more heat?) - in conventional cars after a while it gets more humid and fogs the windows, and i have no idea what that means oxygen wise.
i'd be interested in any thoughts.
i'm also thinking in general, not just for the S, that i should have a crappy shiny small instablanket or whatever if i go on a long trip - but that could be in an ICE as well. i've never used or seen one in person, but they look really uncomfortable. but, if it keeps me warm, then it's awesome. Amazon.com
my wife used to keep an extra comforter and a jar of peanut butter in the car for the kids, "just in case" (in our mini vans, etc.)
Your typical ICE car of 3.5 liter V-6 uses roughly 1/2 gallon per hour just idling not using either the heater or the A/C. So if we look at just keeping you cool for that three hour traffic jam, the average V-6 will use over 2 gallons of gas with the A/C running, more with a larger V-6 or V-8. During that same 3 hours in a Tesla, the car will consume about 6000 watt hours , or 6kW. The cost of 2 gallons of gas? Somewhere around $6-$8 where I live. The cost of 6kW is $0.60 in my area. How long before each car either uses a full tank of gas or all it's electrical power under these conditions? If we figure a 16 gallon tank, the ICE car (with the 3.5 liter V-6) will run out of gas in a little over 21 hours. The Tesla will run out of energy and shut down after 35 hours with the 70kW battery, 50 hours with the 100kW battery. If we look at winter conditions instead of summer and I had one of the newer cars with the heat pump, it would run out of power in about 135 hours instead of 50. These computations are done using the thought that the cars would run continuously. We all know that heaters don't work that way. They only run until the thermostat is satisfied. So if we figure heater run time at roughly 60% (because it's really cold), we then come up with a run time of 70 hours for the Tesla using resistance heater and 189 for the Tesla with the heat pump. The people thinking the traffic jam would have been much worse had there been more EV's are obviously made of the same ilk as the conspiracy theorists out there and their claims are ludicrous, if not plaid. Pun intended.

Your typical ICE car of 3.5 liter V-6 uses roughly 1/2 gallon per hour just idling not using either the heater or the A/C. So if we look at just keeping you cool for that three hour traffic jam, the average V-6 will use over 2 gallons of gas with the A/C running, more with a larger V-6 or V-8. During that same 3 hours in a Tesla, the car will consume about 6000 watt hours , or 6kW. The cost of 2 gallons of gas? Somewhere around $6-$8 where I live. The cost of 6kW is $0.60 in my area. How long before each car either uses a full tank of gas or all it's electrical power under these conditions? If we figure a 16 gallon tank, the ICE car (with the 3.5 liter V-6) will run out of gas in a little over 21 hours. The Tesla will run out of energy and shut down after 35 hours with the 70kW battery, 50 hours with the 100kW battery. If we look at winter conditions instead of summer and I had one of the newer cars with the heat pump, it would run out of power in about 135 hours instead of 50. These computations are done using the thought that the cars would run continuously. We all know that heaters don't work that way. They only run until the thermostat is satisfied. So if we figure heater run time at roughly 60% (because it's really cold), we then come up with a run time of 70 hours for the Tesla using resistance heater and 189 for the Tesla with the heat pump. The people thinking the traffic jam would have been much worse had there been more EV's are obviously made of the same ilk as the conspiracy theorists out there and their claims are ludicrous, if not plaid. Pun intended.
There was a video posted here somewhere that ran an X and a Y I seem to recall in -15C temps at 70 degrees internal temp? The end result I think was neither ICE nor BEV occupants would freeze or run out of juice in any significant difference of time.

I may be mistaken. But it was like 3AM when I watched it and I’m still recovering from Omicron.

Last edited:
Yeah............I'm a believer in EVERYTHING that the government tells me!
First, that is NOT the NHTSA, it's IIHS.org, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

The IIHS is NOT part of the government, but instead it's funded by the insurance industry at large . . . .

Let's keep our facts correct, shall we?

I feel bad for those who are coming here to get delivery updates. Isn’t there a place to gush or cuss and discuss all the future changes other than here?

I know we have a lot us who have been reading these pages since early last year but there is always a new crop of own recent buyers who probably are confused or intimidated by the conversations here.

Is there a better way to split this so current owners who already have their new cars and are dealing with the next level issues are not stopping those just looking for shared experiences of what new buyers can expect or should know about from getting what we all receive 6 months ago from this group? I don’t post much but I try to read these pages every day and appreciate the great knowledge, passion and helpfulness for this group.

I feel bad for those who are coming here to get delivery updates. Isn’t there a place to gush or cuss and discuss all the future changes other than here?

I know we have a lot us who have been reading these pages since early last year but there is always a new crop of own recent buyers who probably are confused or intimidated by the conversations here.

Is there a better way to split this so current owners who already have their new cars and are dealing with the next level issues are not stopping those just looking for shared experiences of what new buyers can expect or should know about from getting what we all receive 6 months ago from this group? I don’t post much but I try to read these pages every day and appreciate the great knowledge, passion and helpfulness for this group.
What's your view on vegan leather replacement steering wheels?

There are many other more specific delivery threads, this one is pretty much just banter involving the newly refreshed S and periphery topics that may be related, as well as memes the thread itself has started.

It's been said this thread is more emotional support for those waiting for delivery, than it is about the delivery itself, haha.

I put a hold on mine for a month or so (was closing on a property) and when I released it from hold, I had a VIN a week later....so definitely not the back of the line.

If you dont need the car ASAP, it cant hurt to put it on hold for a bit. The updates may be MONTHS away, but you never know with Tesla..so the worst case is you get your car later and it is the same.

There are many other more specific delivery threads, this one is pretty much just banter involving the newly refreshed S and periphery topics that may be related, as well as memes the thread itself has started.

It's been said this thread is more emotional support for those waiting for delivery, than it is about the delivery itself, haha.
But it’s so nice in here!!! Nobody wants to leave to go to another thread, it’s just so comfy here.

I wish Elon went on like, a real show for an open interview. So he could finally be asked face to face questions like:
- is it true your engineers had to go behind your back to add a steering wheel to the Y, because you wanted no wheel at all
- what was the thought process behind total elimination of the horn via airbag activation?
- were you 100% sober when you said robotaxi service up and running by December 2020?
- Look me in the eye, without laughing, and tell me that the current Tesla lineup with current hardware will absolutely go past level 2 autonomous driving this decade.

For starters