Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you please share your results here: Plaid center console light turns off when fully opened? lots of people are reporting this and we are tracking what the various fixes are.

Try reformatting and then test locally in your garage. Set sentry one and trigger it. Check the recordings.

It could be delayed due to the car in a deep sleep. At that point, you would need to press the handle to wake the car. In the 3 and Y, since those designs the owners has to press the handle to get the door to unlatch, that pressing of the handle wakes the car and the unlocking happens at the same time. Not the case with the S.
thanks for the replies. I'll report back what the ranger says (still makes me think of yogi the bear).
for reformatting, do you recommend i let the car do it (again) or do it right from the pc? if pc i'll re-read suggested formats (i think fat32). it's a 256gb card, andisk super extreme or something like that.
door handles - if car is NOT in a deep sleep, should it unlock like in the tesla videos? you know, i hop scotch skip over to the car, and the handles present? again, they seem to open at a touch, but i thought they were supposed to present for me.
minor extra bonus gripe - i'll ask the ranger to see if we can make the passenger front door latch easier to um, latch! we went to the mall, and when we got back to the car i didn't realize my wife didn't fully latch her door - the car was unlocked, the handles were extended the whole time, and perhaps worst - in 16 degree weather I couldn't preheat the interior! :)

RN1149. Woke up to a date shift this morning. Went from 1/22 - 2/5 -> 2/6 - 2/16. No VIN....

Feeling frustrated (as per usual) as this was the first time I got inside of the delivery window. On the other hand, a narrowing from a 14 day window to a 10 day window has to be progress right?
Ditto for me:

Date shift this morning

Inside the delivery window for the first time yesterday

Narrowed from 14 to a 10 day window

Must have the same monkey working our delivery.

for reformatting, do you recommend i let the car do it (again) or do it right from the pc? if pc i'll re-read suggested formats (i think fat32). it's a 256gb card, andisk super extreme or something like that.
You can try the car and see if it works. It should, but if all else fails move to a PC. Personally, never had an issue.
door handles - if car is NOT in a deep sleep, should it unlock like in the tesla videos? you know, i hop scotch skip over to the car, and the handles present? again, they seem to open at a touch, but i thought they were supposed to present for me.
If it is not in a deep sleep and your phone is in a wake state to send the signal, yes it should unlock just by walking up to it. Again, personally there are times where I pass my Model S and nothing happens. There are other times, I pass it and it unlocks even though I am getting in the wife's car. I will try and pay attention more to see if there is a timeline / connection to the last time I used my phone and the times where the car unlocks (or does not). I imagine you need both the car in a "awake" enough state to receive / reach out for the signal and your phone sending the signal. Both likely turn the band off to preserve power after some period, even though it should be low energy Bluetooth.

RN1149. Woke up to a date shift this morning. Went from 1/22 - 2/5 -> 2/6 - 2/16. No VIN....

Feeling frustrated (as per usual) as this was the first time I got inside of the delivery window. On the other hand, a narrowing from a 14 day window to a 10 day window has to be progress right?
2 steps forward, one step back, but you're inching towards delivery!

You can try the car and see if it works. It should, but if all else fails move to a PC. Personally, never had an issue.

If it is not in a deep sleep and your phone is in a wake state to send the signal, yes it should unlock just by walking up to it. Again, personally there are times where I pass my Model S and nothing happens. There are other times, I pass it and it unlocks even though I am getting in the wife's car. I will try and pay attention more to see if there is a timeline / connection to the last time I used my phone and the times where the car unlocks (or does not). I imagine you need both the car in a "awake" enough state to receive / reach out for the signal and your phone sending the signal. Both likely turn the band off to preserve power after some period, even though it should be low energy Bluetooth.
thanks. What's interesting is the videos show the chick (never bad looking in the videos) walk near the car and bam, the handles present.
meanwhile, in the online "manual" it says go to the car and press the handle to open.
that is far more like typical keyless entry - however i liked the idea of the handles presenting - which they seem to do after a delay. however, again, the car will seemingly unlock instantly when I touch the handle.
I don't know if they tweaked things are are removing the self presentation - but then why have them present on their own 30 seconds later?
i'm rocking 2021.44.30.7

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
that is far more like typical keyless entry - however i liked the idea of the handles presenting - which they seem to do after a delay. however, again, the car will seemingly unlock instantly when I touch the handle.
Have you noticed that the issue of them not presenting happens more at home or all the time? For example, I have the "issue" regularly at home. But the car falls into a deep sleep (per TeslaMate) and sentry is turned off (garaged). But, while I am out, with sentry mode running (so car is not sleeping) I have zero issues with the handles presenting. In fact, they present by the time I am in arms reach to open the door.

Good evening everyone! It's been a crazy 24 hours but I finally have time to settle down and write up my overall Model S ordering and delivery experience. So I ordered my Model S back in late July and after many EDD changes, I finally received the car yesterday. Even the days leading up to delivery day was a nail biter: I received my VIN on Jan 15 and on the same day I get a text stating I can take delivery on Jan 18. Great! I'll be out of town on Jan 23 so just in time for me to get the car, send it to get it tinted/PPF'ed/ceramic-coated and I should come back to a nice shiny car. I got the car added to insurance, paid the balance through the app, and now play the waiting game. The next day (Jan 16), I get a text stating that due to logistical issues (lack of drivers?), they had to push off my delivery date to Jan 23 as a placeholder date. Uh oh... So I get on the phone with Tesla and let them know that I'll be out on Jan 23 so they would either have to hold it for me or delivery it sooner. From there, everyday I send a text to the delivery center asking for an update: "No updates as of yet." Lovely... So now I have to worry about if/when they can hold my car, is Tesla going to give it to the first person who shows up, do I go back to the end of the line? I check the app everyday and the Jan 23 date hasn't budged.

Saturday morning, Jan 22: I get the regular automated asking to confirm my pick-up for Jan 23. I call the delivery center and ask them if I can get it today instead since I won't be available on the 23rd. They said they'll get back to me. 20 minutes later: "Okay, we can have you come in as one of our last deliveries for the day." Amazing! I scramble to print out my documents, sign all the agreements on the app, and arrived 30 minutes earlier to meet this red beauty waiting in the lot.

Months of waiting and last minute tensions made delivery so worth it. Of course, Tesla had to get a few more jabs in:
  • Still has the old style tail lights and headlights (not a big deal for me)
  • The hood had a minor paint chip
  • The frunk side linings were misaligned, so it made opening and closing the hood a bit difficult
  • The trunk was missing the lower space covers and the privacy shelf
  • No key fobs
  • No license plate frames
Luckily, the fine people at the delivery center were able to get a couple of key fobs and license plate frames, but the other issues have already been submitted to Tesla for a service appointment. Interestingly enough, there were also a couple of the Model Xs with the new interior being delivered that day.

After watching so many videos of others drive their Model Ss, using the yoke and screen seemed pretty easy though I still am trying to get used to major turns and using the turn signal buttons properly. Sadly, I only got to spend maybe 3 hours total with the car... I'm on my business trip now but at least I'll have this waiting for me when I get home. As it's been said by other owners here: it's definitely worth the wait. Having parted ways with my beloved Audi A7 many years ago, this Model S brings me back to those days where I actually look forward driving and finding any excuse to take the car out (yes, even in LA traffic).
Looks great! What was your VIN and build date?

Also RN 1149, also on the east coast. I'm thinking if we don't get a VIN in the next 7-10 days, we're likely getting pushed back again...

~12/29: 1/7-2/4
~1/5: 1/18-1/30
~1/17: 1/24-2/21
~1/21: 2/5-2/19

After several months of a frustrating a two week delivery window which kept getting moved back a few days at a time, I finally picked up my car yesterday.
It was delivered to Rocklin Saturday night and I picked it up Sunday morning. Good communication from the delivery team. Rocklin was not as busy and jammed with cars as in the past. Found the car at a Supercharger, walked around it and an employee came up and opened it for us. Everything looked good. I don't suffer from OCD so I didn't bring a checklist, calipers or magnifying glass. Nothing seemed wrong. Everything seemed complete. I accepted delivery on the app and we were good to go. Drove home about two hours over Donner Summit. Way too easy to go way too fast. I don't have the Plaid version and I'm happy since I would be in serious trouble with it. I've got to control my speed. I love the yoke steering. Very comfortable driving position. The little ears on top make it easy to do tight turns.
The car is just incredible. Everything is better than my 2015 S85D. I can understand why Tesla has been increasing the price. My cost (for a July order) was $15,000 less than my 2015 and it is a much better car in every way. It's really worth much more.
It really is a completely redesigned and improved car. The improvement in the software behind the screens is amazing. Incredible visualizations and the surround cameras give a fantastic view.
Took the grand kids to school this morning. They love the rear screen.
We love the car. It's perfect!
Worth the wait.

Have you noticed that the issue of them not presenting happens more at home or all the time? For example, I have the "issue" regularly at home. But the car falls into a deep sleep (per TeslaMate) and sentry is turned off (garaged). But, while I am out, with sentry mode running (so car is not sleeping) I have zero issues with the handles presenting. In fact, they present by the time I am in arms reach to open the door.
thanks, i'll check later. i think they have not presented timely when i'm away from home. i also have sentry off at home. i usually try to precondition or at least heat the car, which i guess wakes it from a sleep.
again, the manual seems to say you have to press the handle, which at least at home seemed to have worked fine.
i'm still trying to figure out half the stuff!
and i'll likely reformat the drive in my pc. not sure why the tesla drive went kaput, and so did my new drive. i doubt it's hardware, maybe it's a firmware thing?

Got an email from my personal SA (He's now in a bigger position that i don't think i can share). He says:

"Based on everything that I can see in my system, the estimate range of Feb 1st-Feb 5th is accurate. I have reached out to my logistics team to get a confirmation, but everything looks good to go.

I’ll follow up as soon as I hear back from them – talk soon!"

So umm... we'll see. I'm scared of getting excited.

Also RN 1149, also on the east coast. I'm thinking if we don't get a VIN in the next 7-10 days, we're likely getting pushed back again...

~12/29: 1/7-2/4
~1/5: 1/18-1/30
~1/17: 1/24-2/21
~1/21: 2/5-2/19
Yep, that's what I'm afraid of. Delivery in April / May ish. On the other hand, I ordered with the 21s (assuming that means summer tires).... So I probably won't be driving much until then anyway. (That's what I'm telling myself...)

thanks for the replies. I'll report back what the ranger says (still makes me think of yogi the bear).
minor extra bonus gripe - i'll ask the ranger to see if we can make the passenger front door latch easier to um, latch! we went to the mall, and when we got back to the car i didn't realize my wife didn't fully latch her door - the car was unlocked, the handles were extended the whole time, and perhaps worst - in 16 degree weather I couldn't preheat the interior! :)
Check permissions for the tesla app. If you are on latest android you will have to allow blue tooth when using the app, then make sure the app has been opened recently and not purged from memory.

I called customer service the other days after my range updated to 2/3-3/3 and the lady said I should expect a VIN ~1st of Feb and Tesla is targeting delivering my car ~14th of feb roughly. She said this is subject to change. This isn't drastically different than what I was told Mid December which was Estimate build date of 1/21. Seems like I might have gotten pushed back ~10 days which seems reasonable given holidays & global factors.

I much prefer the customer service agents that actually provide the limited info they have vs. the ones that just pretend the delivery range is accurate and will 100% be met this time.