Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6CF7439A-2800-486F-B271-B95181BB8632.gif

I guess you can put lipstick 💄 on a pig, after all! What a cutie, eh? The lipstick 💄 makes all the difference. The sweater doesn’t hurt, either! 🤣

So I took delivery today. Trunk covers, floor mats and key fobs are there. The only issue that I came across is that the rear and front bumper paint is slightly different than the trunk and trunk. The bumpers are a slightly yellowish white color. The Sales person said since the bumpers are plastic they will be a slightly different color and according to him this issue is present on all cars. Is this true?
The difference in material should not make any difference if the paint layer is of the right thickness.

The difference in material should not make any difference if the paint layer is of the right thickness.
No, that’s not really accurate. Substrate can have a definite visual impact on appearance. Typically it’s more noticeable with metallics due to static charge making the metallic flakes lay differently than on plastics, which do not hold as much of a charge. Primers can also effect colors and often times primers used for plastic substrates are different than on metals. This too can cause variations in colors.

It’s not uncommon for vehicles to have slight shade variations on the various substrates on the vehicles. It does not indicate an issue with the vehicle and is definitely not exclusive to Tesla.

It's not really about making it thick enough. It's about the correct preparation for the respective material and doing each coat correctly.

There was some mismatch problems with Model 3 Bumpers in white back when I got my Model 3.

More than likely it's that the bumpers were painted with a different batch or they were replaced.

Curious what color the car in question is.

No, that’s not really accurate. Substrate can have a definite visual impact on appearance. Typically it’s more noticeable with metallics due to static charge making the metallic flakes lay differently than on plastics, which do not hold as much of a charge. Primers can also effect colors and often times primers used for plastic substrates are different than on metals. This too can cause variations in colors.

It’s not uncommon for vehicles to have slight shade variations on the various substrates on the vehicles. It does not indicate an issue with the vehicle and is definitely not exclusive to Tesla.
I agree with everything except that's it's normal to not match perfectly. There is no excuse for it to not be a perfect match.
Many Model 3 customers did get their bumpers corrected.

I agree with everything except that's it's normal to not match perfectly. There is no excuse for it to not be a perfect match.
Many Model 3 customers did get their bumpers corrected.
Oh, I didn’t mean it could not be corrected, it can. But I can 100% guarantee you that many vehicles have various shades of what should be one uniform color on them. Take a walk around on a car lot one day, pick any brand, and you can find some pretty drastic color variations. Usually the easiest place to see it is the transition from a plastic to a metal surface. Silvers and grays are usually most susceptible, but other than black, it can be found on nearly any color.

Paint companies have color decks filled with what they call variants. These variants are direct results of the reasons listed above, including what you mentioned about batches and the other reasons I mentioned. Paint thickness can certainly have an impact too.

Most people do not inspect a vehicle so closely to notice this. Particularly because the colors are so so close from panel to panel that people generally just assume the car is a completely uniform color. And realistically it just does not matter to 99% of the people in the world.

Oh, I didn’t mean it could not be corrected, it can. But I can 100% guarantee you that many vehicles have various shades of what should be one uniform color on them. Take a walk around on a car lot one day, pick any brand, and you can find some pretty drastic color variations. Usually the easiest place to see it is the transition from a plastic to a metal surface. Silvers and grays are usually most susceptible, but other than black, it can be found on nearly any color.

Paint companies have color decks filled with what they call variants. These variants are direct results of the reasons listed above, including what you mentioned about batches and the other reasons I mentioned. Paint thickness can certainly have an impact too.

Most people do not inspect a vehicle so closely to notice this. Particularly because the colors are so so close from panel to panel that people generally just assume the car is a completely uniform color. And realistically it just does not matter to 99% of the people in the world.
And what do you know about paint, @uthatcher?! 🤣😉

If anyone is unhappy with anyone’s posting, or feels it violates forum rules, there is a “report” feature for good reason.
Agreed - I tend to use the ignore button and then, in a feat of both self-harm and amusement, hit the "show ignored content" from time to time just to watch the trainwreck.

Last edited:
Indeed. And I’ve owned $100k+ vehicles that do not match. You needn’t take my word, just take a walk around a car dealer lot and look around. Once they actually have cars that is.
I’ve even seen much more expensive cars that don’t match. Aston Martins etc. I’d go so far as to say most cars don’t match, either by a little or by more than that… It’s usually most easy to see from hood/front quarters to bumper or rear trunk/quarters to bumper. Plain as day.