Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PXL_20220805_190010910.jpg
PXL_20220805_190021399.jpg
PXL_20220805_190031110.jpg
PXL_20220812_143201766~2.jpg

Took delivery last week. Car looked and looks fine but I did not inspect it prior to acceptance. This surprised the delivery guy. All accessories were delivered. I totally misunderstood prior postings about Tesla stopping deliveries of charging accessories. When I did not see the charging accessory bag in the trunk I went ahead and bought the charging adapter to use on non Tesla chargers as I figures that's all I needed. Found the bag with it and I think a NEMA cord in the frunk as I installed the registration plates yesterday.
Some Random Thought:
1. Yoke annoyed me for the first couple of days. Now love it. Kudos to those who liked it from the get go. There's a true learning curve. This may not be universally true but as I continue to learn over the years advancement requires change in certain old way of doing things. Yoke is no different. You have to ditch the driver ed lesson of passing wheel from one hand to the other as you turn the wheel at corners. I have found that this maneuver is best performed single handed otherwise it hands and arms do get annoyingly over each other if you use both hands.
2. For those yet to take delivery, worth attending one of the orientation webinars meant for new owners even if you have owned model S's before. the interface functionality is quite different.
3. Another thing I'm having to practice is not leaving my phone in the car at work which I have tended to do over the years. Already left the car unlocked several times in the past week. If my aging brain can't learn this effectively I'll just disable the phone key and use the card.
4. I think the driver seat has been updated greatly. I'm quite short and now I can raise the seat high enough to see the front of my car as I driver. the sunshade is also working as intended for me. Typically I'm too short to benefit when the sun is low in the sky.
5. The Tasmanian aftermarket floor mats I bought months ago fit great. Their dog protector for the back seats in a feeble effort. The one from Tesla shop is much better. I hate to waste, will give away the Tasmanian to anyone interested local to me in the National Capital Area of DC.
6. Another thing lots of us have to relearn is blind spot detection. There has been lots of debate on this here. Tesla Model S has more than adequate blind spot detection with their improved interface. In fact the display right in front of you is all you need as it now shows cars around you very well. And then there's the chime and the optional camera display. the thing to relearn is to keep looking forward and trust the instrument panel in front of you. I think this is very easy for younger people who have grown up with video games.

"webinar"
That would be good. Got a link?
Congrats!!!
Tesla sends you an invitation to sign up as you get closer to delivery. Searched my email to find the link but I cant find it. The invitation my have been sent to my App and of course those disappear. Clearly very popular as I couldn't find an available spot before my delivery. Attended one last night.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Tesla sends you an invitation to sign up as you get closer to delivery. Searched my email to find the link but I cant find it. The invitation my have been sent to my App and of course those disappear. Clearly very popular as I couldn't find an available spot before my delivery. Attended one last night.
Found the link. Enjoy!!!

I am an RN1163 order. Order date was January 12, 2022. MSLR BLK/WHT 21s, no FSD South Florida. I received a VIN on July 22. On July 30 I was offered delivery dates of August 9, 10 or 11. I chose August 9. As the date got closer I was able to reach someone at Tesla who put me in for delivery on August 8 which was a Monday. The day before delivery, the Fort Lauderdale SC called me and asked if I wanted to pick it up that day (Sunday August 7) which I happily accepted. I brought my trade in and was in and out in 20 mins. I asked if someone could show me some basic features in the vehicle and the sales rep said "no, sorry we can't do that." I also asked if I can inspect the inside and she said "not untiI I make final payment."

Both motors would have had to be missing for me to have rejected the delivery so I paid, got in and drove away. I paid cash less the value of my trade-in. Its an efficient process but definitely no hand-holding whatsoever.

I dropped it off with the PPF/Ceramic place the next morning and will hopefully have it back tomorrow and will post pictures.

I noticed some small panel gap issues but the interior was perfect and I didn't notice anything that caused alarm. Driving it was incredible until it started pouring and I couldn't figure out the windshield wipers. The yoke has not been an issue at all....I enjoyed it. There are lot of roundabouts near me and I didn't feel it was an issue to use a yoke vs. a wheel. I do need to look down to find the blinkers on the yoke but I am sure that I will get used to it.

Overall experience so far is an A+ on the actual car but a D on customer service.

Regarding my trade-in, over the seven months since I ordered the Tesla, the value of my trade-in through CarMax and others was consistently higher than Tesla's offer, however, they all evened out in the end to within a few hundred dollars of each other. I chose to go with Tesla for convenience and because I saved on the sales tax due to the trade-in.
As promised, here are the photos after PPF / ceramic / tint and rear red emblem

Attachments

• IMG_4795.jpg
    IMG_4795.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_4796.jpg
    IMG_4796.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_4797.jpg
    IMG_4797.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_4798.jpg
    IMG_4798.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_4799.jpg
    IMG_4799.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 143
As promised, here are the photos after PPF / ceramic / tint and rear red emblem
Beautiful car! I have the same colors (black on white), and love the looks of my "tuxedo" car! I've considered doing the same thing with my rear emblem. Can you share where you found the red emblem sticker? I think it might look nice to do the TESLA letters across the black accent strip in red letters also (I have the old style rear with the TESLA letters across the black accent strip).

Here’s my delivery experience. Signed a few papers inside and then went out to see my new car. Super easy. The Tesla rep answered any questions I had and then left us to play with our new Tesla. It was between storms and the car was outside, so we looked it over pretty quickly. We found what looks like a tiny ding on the rear quarter panel. The ding is under the clear coat, meaning it was damaged before the clear coat was applied. I’m pretty disappointed in that. We discussed having it repaired but the entire panel would need to be stripped and repainted. Then there would be a risk of the paint not matching perfectly. It is so small, I’m leaving it be.

After I got home, I found an even worse imperfection and a panel misalignment. Since I took it straight to the PPF guy, I will have to talk to Tesla about it in a few days. I’ve included a pic of the imperfection. This is on the panel between it and the rear taillight. I am very upset about this one. The misalignment is where the side of the hatch meets the car. One side is flush, while the other side sets a good 1/4” higher than the body.

Now, excluding those three issues, I love the car. I just hope the hatch misalignment and the paint flaw can be easily fixed. Hopefully, the paint flaw under the taillight can just be sanded and touched-up. I must say it is a pretty expensive car to have these flaws. In saying that, even without those two issues fixed, I’m going to love the car for years to come.
PDR: Paintless Dent Repair.

They can work miracles and never touch your paint.

The sooner you do it, the better, as the metal can supposedly take a "set" the longer the dent is there.

Tesla should pay for it, as long as you report it within 24 hours, and, yes, Tesla QC is an absolute joke at these price points . . . .

Beautiful car! I have the same colors (black on white), and love the looks of my "tuxedo" car! I've considered doing the same thing with my rear emblem. Can you share where you found the red emblem sticker? I think it might look nice to do the TESLA letters across the black accent strip in red letters also (I have the old style rear with the TESLA letters across the black accent strip).
Thanks. The red emblem is basically a wrap. The shop that did my PPF / Ceramic just threw it on for me. I blacked out the front emblem too.

Anyone know how soon delivery is once they text you telling you that your car left the factory and on the way to delivery center?
Mine came within two weeks of leaving the factory. Text that it left the factory on July 29. On Aug 2 they texted that I could set up delivery and gave me a three-day window for for Aug 9-11. I chose the 10th. And then on the Sun. before (Aug. 7), I got a text that it was ready and i could pick it up that day. Needless to say, i rushed right over.

MSLR, white/cream, 19”, FSD
RN1153 - Ordered July 20, 2021
VIN NF486 - Assigned July 19, 2022
Scheduled delivery: August 1, 2022

July 30, 2022:
Vehicle arrived at service center and did not pass their own inspection due to paint issues on the front bumper, so they ordered a new bumper and are waiting for it to arrive; delivery bumped to tentative August 15, 2022.

I went and took a look and there are some paint chips. Bummed to have to wait without the car instead of taking delivery and exploring it while waiting for the bumper, but glad to see they are proactive with the fix.

Potential slight panel gaps and misalignments too, but those may be within Tesla spec since they didn’t mention anything else when they called about the front bumper. Will have to do a closer inspection at delivery.

August 14, 2022:
SC called yesterday and said the replacement front bumper still has not arrived, but I am welcome to take delivery of the car on August 15 as rescheduled or still wait. Will probably take delivery so I can familiarize myself with the car, but any cons to taking delivery? I had planned to PPF the car, but will have to wait for a good bumper to do that.

July 30, 2022:
Vehicle arrived at service center and did not pass their own inspection due to paint issues on the front bumper, so they ordered a new bumper and are waiting for it to arrive; delivery bumped to tentative August 15, 2022.

I went and took a look and there are some paint chips. Bummed to have to wait without the car instead of taking delivery and exploring it while waiting for the bumper, but glad to see they are proactive with the fix.

Potential slight panel gaps and misalignments too, but those may be within Tesla spec since they didn’t mention anything else when they called about the front bumper. Will have to do a closer inspection at delivery.

August 14, 2022:
SC called yesterday and said the replacement front bumper still has not arrived, but I am welcome to take delivery of the car on August 15 as rescheduled or still wait. Will probably take delivery so I can familiarize myself with the car, but any cons to taking delivery? I had planned to PPF the car, but will have to wait for a good bumper to do that.

As long as they guarantee the bumper replacement I’d take it on the 15th.

July 30, 2022:

August 14, 2022:

Not sure if it true for all SC but some have stated that is you take delivery and work is done then it can show on the car damages history. If it is done before taking delivery then it does not show since it still under Tesla. Again this is third party feedback so not sure how accurate.