Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a new forum member and placed an order for an MSP last month and recently canceled because I want a 24 VIN due to resale.

All of the forum complaining almost has me kind of questioning placing another order. I already had my level 2 charger installed.

Just scared to get a lemon, big panel gaps, vibrating, misc errors.

I say this now but I’m still super excited about ordering my MSP. I’m just not as confident that I will get a solid car on delivery.
A lot of that is so overblown. I am a first time Tesla owner and have owned my refresh 24 mos now. Rarely an issue until this weekend, when trunk would not close. Tesla service by me has been excellent. This forum can freak new owners out, which is too bad.

Just test drove a lucid. The auto pilot was glitchy, but the car was very nice. Very well put together. Very silent.
I rented a Lucid Grand Touring a couple weeks ago for 4 days. It is a really nice, solid car. Tesla software is far ahead and not sure on Lucid’s display either. Think they should be due for a major software update. Their autopilot is a joke right now and CCS charging network scares me.

Model S and Lucid both have their positives and negatives when comparing. I like both.

I really like the Lucid product, especially the interior, but they are losing money rapidly. They lost over -$400K for each car they sold last quarter. With only this 1 model in a declining segment, committed (until last week) to the awful CCS charging experience, and little brand recognition, it's hard to imagine Lucid going much further. The new Sapphire model is quite amazing, but priced at 2.8 Plaids it's not going to add any real volume. Lucid needs to RUN towards a 60K crossover and NACS, and hopefully they can get there before they run out of money. I hope the best for them actually but I personally wouldn't buy the product because I'm not sure they are going to be there long-term.

I really like the Lucid product, especially the interior, but they are losing money rapidly. They lost over -$400K for each car they sold last quarter. With only this 1 model in a declining segment, committed (until last week) to the awful CCS charging experience, and little brand recognition, it's hard to imagine Lucid going much further. The new Sapphire model is quite amazing, but priced at 2.8 Plaids it's not going to add any real volume. Lucid needs to RUN towards a 60K crossover and NACS, and hopefully they can get there before they run out of money. I hope the best for them actually but I personally wouldn't buy the product because I'm not sure they are going to be there long-term.
Agree - I still might take a chance and lease a Grand Touring for 18 mos. Their 18 mos leases in Grans Touring are so aggressive. I would miss my Model S, but can always come back. 🙂

Reactions: dn325ci
A lot of that is so overblown. I am a first time Tesla owner and have owned my refresh 24 mos now. Rarely an issue until this weekend, when trunk would not close. Tesla service by me has been excellent. This forum can freak new owners out, which is too bad.
I agree.

@Septocaine
A couple of folks seem to have a chip on their shoulder, eager to share their gripes like they're dishing out a one-star review on Google or Yelp. Makes me think – if they dislike Tesla so much, why even spend time on this forum? Kind of makes you question if they're here to be helpful or just to rant.

I've been through two Teslas myself, no major issues, and I've got cars from other major brands too. But the Tesla's my go-to daily, hands down. Gearing up to grab a third one soon to replace one of my existing ones. Sure, every car brand's got its hits and misses, but there’s no major recurring issue to me that tells me to avoid the brand and rant about it all day long.

I’m a new forum member and placed an order for an MSP last month and recently canceled because I want a 24 VIN due to resale.

All of the forum complaining almost has me kind of questioning placing another order. I already had my level 2 charger installed.

Just scared to get a lemon, big panel gaps, vibrating, misc errors.

I say this now but I’m still super excited about ordering my MSP. I’m just not as confident that I will get a solid car on delivery.

My suggestion is go ahead with the order and bring a checklist. Tell your SA that you will come on a not busy day/time and need at least 45 min to go over the car with doors open.

If you see anything you don't think you can live with, reject that VIN.

If near EoY be ready to cancel because they will probably try to pair you with a reject.

Vibrations are not a huge deal. If it gets unbearable (Not too many here have said that it is) you can lemon the car.

Everything else is pretty amazing and worth the current price IMO.

[USER=297805 said:
@Septocaine[/USER]
but there’s no major recurring issue to me that tells me to avoid the brand and rant about it all day long.

Actually, there is. It's called Service! Those that have good builds without body work needed on delivery, and never have to visit the SvC especially on the Left Coast, are usually the ones that can't relate to some of the problems brought up here that cause the rants.

I still would not suggest another brand though. Just be careful on delivery. My guess is about a third of the MS are issue free, and few of the M3 and MY have issues.

Reactions: Septocaine
They won’t run out of money. They are backed by the Saudi sovereign fund right?

They won’t run out of money. They are backed by the Saudi sovereign fund right?
Right - the so-called Public Investment Fund is about 25% owner if memory serves. The problem is demand though, and I don't believe the Saudi's will continue to inject billions if the top line revenues don't start some kind of reasonable growth. Last quarter's 4% growth on the nearly irrelevant 1,500 cars they sold is not even in the ballpark of what will be needed to support their cash burn rate. I believe Rivian will probably make it to profitability, mostly because of their significant delivery van business with Amazon and others, but Lucid may not cross the chasm. We'll see. I'd like to be wrong on it.

Right - the so-called Public Investment Fund is about 25% owner if memory serves. The problem is demand though, and I don't believe the Saudi's will continue to inject billions if the top line revenues don't start some kind of reasonable growth. Last quarter's 4% growth on the nearly irrelevant 1,500 cars they sold is not even in the ballpark of what will be needed to support their cash burn rate. I believe Rivian will probably make it to profitability, mostly because of their significant delivery van business with Amazon and others, but Lucid may not cross the chasm. We'll see. I'd like to be wrong on it.
The problem is they don't even have market access. Here in WA state you can't even test drive Lucid and if you can't test drive only the most devoted ones would actually buy. And I don't even know how do you buy from them in WA state. If you don't have access to the market that is nail in the coffin. They are done.

25%? It’s actually over 60% and likely going up after a final buy in round.

They already joined Tesla NACS. Not sure that will help them much but it did give Tesla a laugh.

Just test drove a lucid. The auto pilot was glitchy, but the car was very nice. Very well put together. Very silent.
I would only LEASE one, not buy one--Lucid's losses are beyond staggering and the Saudi's may not keep funding that money pit forever . . . .

Also, be aware that there are service nightmares with Lucid--be sure you're near a service center or don't get one.

Reactions: DBV1 and dn325ci
I demoed a car overnight last night. It was a black plaid with 898 miles on it. I wanted to check out the hepa filter set up as my model 3 has the mold smell. I went to open the frunk and it was broken. It popped up but I couldn’t open it. Not looking promising for my car I’m getting in 2 weeks….
What were you looking to see re "the smell"? There have been a couple reports on this forum about refresh S's having the stink. I have a pre-refresh M S without it.

Had a M3 that had "the smell" and wouldn't ever want another vehicle afflicted with it.

Btw, too late for me, but I found a great Youtube video on a couple remedies including some measurements to justify such. Though the author notes with bio-defense/hepa his tactics may not apply.

Ref:

I would only LEASE one, not buy one--Lucid's losses are beyond staggering and the Saudi's may not keep funding that money pit forever . . . .

Also, be aware that there are service nightmares with Lucid--be sure you're near a service center or don't get one.
Lucid just auctioned their exclusive ‘Air Kingdom Dream Edition’, as well as signed an agreement with Riyadh Air. They have multiple products in their pipeline. I think they will be present in the market for quite a while.

I agree Leasing is a smart move, if you want a Lucid car.

Reactions: DBV1
What were you looking to see re "the smell"? There have been a couple reports on this forum about refresh S's having the stink. I have a pre-refresh M S without it.

Had a M3 that had "the smell" and wouldn't ever want another vehicle afflicted with it.

Btw, too late for me, but I found a great Youtube video on a couple remedies including some measurements to justify such. Though the author notes with bio-defense/hepa his tactics may not apply.

Ref:
Apparently the refresh is designed more like the model 3 and is subject to the same mold smell. Yes there are apparent fixes but I don’t want it to start. I wanted to see about the size of the gap that allows the water under the hood and plan some sort of foam barrier or was hoping tesla fixed it themselves. Also the size of the filter opening as someone is working on a hydro-repellant filter sock to prevent water from entering the HEPA as well.