Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the question is ‘Why?’, my educated guess is that: a. Musk really likes to remove extra sensors; b. Indeed, cameras are already used to localize objects around the car (i.e. calculate distance and position relative to your car). So if cameras are good enough at shorter distances - you don’t need USS.
c. Making this decision before having this implemented puts extra pressure on the engineering team, and Musk really likes to do that.

Only one person could’ve made this decision well before seeing it actually working, on a hunch that it actually will ‘soon’.

Reactions: dsm363
If the question is ‘Why?’, my educated guess is that: a. Musk really likes to remove extra sensors; b. Indeed, cameras are already used to localize objects around the car (i.e. calculate distance and position relative to your car). So if cameras are good enough at shorter distances - you don’t need USS.
c. Making this decision before having this implemented puts extra pressure on the engineering team, and Musk really likes to do that.

Only one person could’ve made this decision well before seeing it actually working, on a hunch that it actually will ‘soon’.
It's missing the front bumper camera though.

They have to switch sooner or later. I ordered a plaid on November 24th, no vin yet. I would gladly give up the $250 to have a 2024 vin, you will get more than that back in resale value if you sell the car at any time in the future. If tesla wants to get rid of the 2023s, they should bump the price a little on the 2024 vin Plaid, maybe $2500 more.
I agree transparency from Tesla will actually be a win-win. There is no shame in having different versions ))

This reminds me of coffee roasters. Bigger ones do not like to put ‘Roasted on’ dates on their coffee, as they know it will make it obvious which bag of coffee is better.

I think it makes a lot of sense NOT to switch to 2024 VIN right now for Tesla, as they know once they do that - many people who already got their 2023 VIN will cancel their reservations. ALSO, it makes sense for Tesla NOT to introduce any changes to the car before end of the year, so people will "learn" that Tesla indeed is not following model years and adding new features.
The rest of the planet does not do it that way. There is a time lag between production and delivery. Under your proposal many people will stop buying in December knowing the new model year is just around the corner. What is Tesla going to do with all the cars they build in December that are still 23's? Who is going to buy that car after @12/15? Or worse come January 2024 who is going to want a 2023 model year. I picked up my 2020 MX 12/20/19. I think it would be worse to have 2023 models in inventory come 1/1/2024

They have to switch sooner or later. I ordered a plaid on November 24th, no vin yet. I would gladly give up the $250 to have a 2024 vin, you will get more than that back in resale value if you sell the car at any time in the future. If tesla wants to get rid of the 2023s, they should bump the price a little on the 2024 vin Plaid, maybe $2500 more.
VIN years make sense if you hold all new features until the new year comes out and you make 500,000 vehicles and dump them on the dealerships. Tesla doesn't have dealerships and doesn't change only by model year. Updates happen when they happen. So I still don't get why people are so concerned about VIN year if all the features are otherwise identical. Don't buy a new car if one year difference in VIN year makes or breaks your finances.

When though, not why? Did they remove it earlier this year from model s or was it just now?
Over a year ago I believe.

Actually, longer:

Last edited:
Reactions: zmarvin
VIN years make sense if you hold all new features until the new year comes out and you make 500,000 vehicles and dump them on the dealerships. Tesla doesn't have dealerships and doesn't change only by model year. Updates happen when they happen. So I still don't get why people are so concerned about VIN year if all the features are otherwise identical. Don't buy a new car if one year difference in VIN year makes or breaks your finances.
A 2024 will always be worth more than a 2023. Initially a lot and diminishing over time. But no one wants to be the person who bought the 2023 on the last day before the change over. Any actual changes may make the "difference" even more important.

A 2024 will always be worth more than a 2023. Initially a lot and diminishing over time. But no one wants to be the person who bought the 2023 on the last day before the change over. Any actual changes may make the "difference" even more important.
Massive actual changes can happen in June. I waited 3.5 years for my car and 6 months after it comes out, P85+ arrived. Not based on model year. Same with 85D, 90D, 100D...etc. Sure, if you can time things perfectly all the time, do that. As more people get used to how Tesla operates, this difference just based on model year alone with shrink.

But Tesla can't afford to have people stop ordering 3 months in advance of a new VIN model year when it's otherwise meaningless.

Last edited:
Scheduled delivery for 12/2 today! Couple of interesting tidbits:

1. Tesla is now able to directly collect sales tax and registration fees in Texas. SA says this change occurred about a week ago.

2. Although I live within 15 miles of a couple delivery centers, the app only offered home delivery. Are there any cons to home delivery?

Thank you all for the useful info over the last few weeks. I’m hoping for a smooth delivery experience. 🤞🏻
Home delivery was delayed this morning due to slow processing for my temporary tag here in Texas. Got a call mid-day that the temporary tag is ready and I can come pick it up. Heading there in an hour. 😀

At thr delivery center to pick up my car.

There are a few minor issues. But the biggest concern I have is multiple scratchs on the hood.

They are trying to buff it out but is it worth taking the delivery if they can't fix it?
If they can't fix it so you like it, refuse it and wait for the next car. Accept it if it looks good to you and you're happy trading $$$ for it.

If they can't fix it so you like it, refuse it and wait for the next car. Accept it if it looks good to you and you're happy trading $$$ for it.
Thank you.

Also noticed a minor tear on the driver side door leather. It's tiny. But the their fix is to remove the door panel.

I'm not comfortable with sending it to the shop and scared it might start to rip more in the future.

Is this a good reason to reject or am I being too picky?

Thank you.

Also noticed a minor tear on the driver side door leather. It's tiny. But the their fix is to remove the door panel.

I'm not comfortable with sending it to the shop and scared it might start to rip more in the future.

Accepting the car and letting them send it to a repair shop is risky. Once you accept ... its yours no matter what. Changing out the door card is a good fix ... if they have the part. If they don't have the part they may ask you to accept and they will order the part. To me that's acceptable. So far, the only reason I would reject is the scratch.

Thank you.

Likely they want to remove and replace the door panel. Rather simple actually.

Reactions: zoomer0056