Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get the feeling we're in a March '21 situation. Get ready for a bit of a refresh and a $15K price bump lol.
Maybe. It does seem like Tesla is halting production at Fremont for 2-3 weeks in January. Maybe that's for the Highland update on Model 3. Maybe it's just for preventative maintenance. Maybe it's for Model S and X. Who knows. It doesn't surprise me they would do it in January, after year end. What is apparent is that new orders are currently scheduled longer than usual during what would seasonably be a slower time of year.

Maybe. It does seem like Tesla is halting production at Fremont for 2-3 weeks in January. Maybe that's for the Highland update on Model 3. Maybe it's just for preventative maintenance. Maybe it's for Model S and X. Who knows. It doesn't surprise me they would do it in January, after year end. What is apparent is that new orders are currently scheduled longer than usual during what would seasonably be a slower time of year.

Where did you hear about the production halts?

Reactions: aerodyne
It was quite busy and festive at the Fremont delivery today. DJ playing music on a Cyber Truck and kids riding the small Model S.

Lots people picking up Model 3 and Model Y. Telsa had 4 agents dedicated for checking in customers for pickup, and still there were customers waiting in the hour+ time I was there for my pickup.

I picked up my 2023 Model S Stealth Gray and pretty excited. It would have been nice to get a 2024, but I'm very happy with it. No bad panel gap issue, nor any wrinkles in the upholstery.

Ordered on 11/29

Attachments

• IMG_1014.jpg
    IMG_1014.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1005.jpg
    IMG_1005.jpg
    771.8 KB · Views: 11
Speaking of needing a car, how many were offered demo cars today?? At least it was close to our ordered configuration. But I said nope but thank you for asking.
I got a notification in the App 2 days ago that was offering a "similar configuration" but when I clicked on the message it just took me to an inventory search that said they didn't have anything.

My guess is that was a push notification that many users got regardless of what was actually in inventory.

I know it is all guesswork right now but based on the reports over the last couple weeks, it looks like they are clearing out all the orders from November along with any orders that are right around the factory. In fact, right now it looks like people that have ordered about 4 days before me were taking delivery or getting VIN assignments yesterday or the day before.

I placed my order at the beginning of December and for the first couple weeks the estimated delivery date started and ended in December. However, on December 17th they updated my date from December 25 - December 31 to a new estimate of December 31 - February 4.

To me, that December 31st date clearly was never going to happen. However with the end of the window pushing into February when I'm seemingly pretty much "next in line" seems to indicate that they might be taking a break at the beginning of January.

Still, this is all guesswork but it is fun to hear the delivery reports from everyone.

It was quite busy and festive at the Fremont delivery today. DJ playing music on a Cyber Truck and kids riding the small Model S.

Lots people picking up Model 3 and Model Y. Telsa had 4 agents dedicated for checking in customers for pickup, and still there were customers waiting in the hour+ time I was there for my pickup.

I picked up my 2023 Model S Stealth Gray and pretty excited. It would have been nice to get a 2024, but I'm very happy with it. No bad panel gap issue, nor any wrinkles in the upholstery.

Ordered on 11/29
It looks like it was nice and sunny at Freemont. Do you have any pictures of your car at delivery? I have a Stealth Grey on order so it would be cool to see any photos that you may have taken. Also since I'm nowhere near Freemont, it would be cool to see what a factory delivery looks like compared to a tiny service center delivery.

It looks like it was nice and sunny at Freemont. Do you have any pictures of your car at delivery? I have a Stealth Grey on order so it would be cool to see any photos that you may have taken. Also since I'm nowhere near Freemont, it would be cool to see what a factory delivery looks like compared to a tiny service center delivery.
I hope these pictures give you an idea of what a Stealth Gray Model S delivery is like at the Fremont facility. It was raining earlier in the morning, so the car was a little dirty.

The other picture gives you and idea of all the other Model 3 and Model Y that were waiting to be picked up or to be sold. There were at least a few rows like that. In the last picture you can see an Ultra Red Model S Plaid. It was the only other Model S, I found in the rows of new Teslas. I saw a few Model X, but mostly Model 3 and Model Y.

All these at the ground level at the delivery area. Someone else shared the YouTube videos of the aerial view.

Attachments

• IMG_0824.jpg
    IMG_0824.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1021.jpg
    IMG_1021.jpg
    831.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1004.jpg
    IMG_1004.jpg
    524.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1015.jpg
    IMG_1015.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Where did you hear about the production halts?

I placed my order at the beginning of December and for the first couple weeks the estimated delivery date started and ended in December. However, on December 17th they updated my date from December 25 - December 31 to a new estimate of December 31 - February 4.

To me, that December 31st date clearly was never going to happen. However with the end of the window pushing into February when I'm seemingly pretty much "next in line" seems to indicate that they might be taking a break at the beginning of January.
There was discussion of a January Fremont shutdown on this forum a few weeks back, and maybe on Reddit as well. I don't believe Tesla usually publishes such things unless it's a major move, so there is probably no public statements about it. The delay is especially noticeable in orders placed first half of December, which had typically been delivering in 3-4 weeks, but presently are 2-3 weeks longer. For example, my December 6th order of MSP/UR/White is still saying EDD Jan 28th - Mar 10th.